Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The very early Stones T.V appearances.....
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 23, 2009 18:36

Hi!

I apologize if this has been posted before...

I was looking for very early Stones members videos;I found this -short short one -from :"Before they were famous"

I've heard about Mick's appearance in a gym program...What was the broadcast name?

Would you be so kind to post here the first TV or concerts videos from The Stones?

I have to check the DVD "Charlie is My darling" and a French (bad) broadcast from Paris Première,called "Mensonges & Vérités".

Thanks!

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: The very early Stones T.V appearances.....
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 23, 2009 19:21

Never saw this one before, thanks

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 23, 2009 19:29

Keith looking a bit chipper next to him??

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 23, 2009 19:42

There's similar pre-fame footage of Jimmy Page.

Posted by: stoneskris ()
Date: February 23, 2009 20:52

Hello Swaystones,

Could you shoot me an e-mail please?

stoneskris@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Kris

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 24, 2009 03:13

Date: February 24, 2009 03:18

SwayStones

There might be a longer version of this video somewhere on Youtube.
I remember seeing a biography of Mick on American television, about 10-12 years ago, that showed this footage of Mick and his father performing this climbing demonstration.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 24, 2009 03:25

always thought this was 1957 footage

Posted by: beatbabe ()
Date: February 24, 2009 04:48

Mick looks so adorable here. Who would have thought that this boy would turn into the man, the myth, the legend that is Mick Jagger. Too much!

Date: February 24, 2009 11:45

beatbabe
Mick looks so adorable here. Who would have thought that this boy would turn into the man, the myth, the legend that is Mick Jagger. Too much!

Just imagine how many hands Mick Jagger has shaken. The man has been in THE greatest rock & roll band of the world for the last fifty (almost) years!
Amazing to see is how captivating he still can be,a hero who doesn't disappoint in the flesh.

stoneskris
Hello Swaystones,

Could you shoot me an e-mail please?

stoneskris@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Kris

Sure!
What do you want me to write? (I'm kidding..)

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: February 24, 2009 13:27

Click on the link below to see the Stones' complete(?) appearances on Dean Martin's Hollywood Palace:

SUNDAY, AUGUST 24, 2008

Hollywood Squares

The Rolling Stones' first television appearance in America was an unpleasant event for them, unfortunately. They were booked to record 3 songs at ABC studios for Dean Martin's old-fashioned variety show, The Hollywood Palace. The Stones immediately noticed a "strange atmosphere" on the set. According to Bill Wyman, "We were treated more like a comedy act than a band....Dean Martin, who appeared to be drunk throughout the show, persistently tried to get cheap laughs at our expense. 'Their hair isn't long, it's just smaller foreheads and higher eyebrows'" (Wyman 124).

The Stones' US Tour manager, Bob Bonis recalls, "Dean Martin was a little out of it and made an awful lot of fun of the band. The producer gave them money to go out and buy themselves uniforms. We said, 'They don't wear uniforms.' Dean Martin and I got into an argument, and Keith was about to pop him one with his guitars" (124). This sort of treatment was not atypical while they were visiting in June of '64--the band received quite a bit of contempt from many adults, including police officers, interspersed with the adoration of screaming girls.

At least on this first visit to the US, the Stones were afforded the opportunity to record at the legendary Chess Studios in Chicago--certainly hallowed ground for these English lads--and meet heroes such as Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Buddy Guy and Willie Dixon!
(Reference: Rolling With The Stones by Bill Wyman)

POSTED BY INVADERALISON AT 11:28 AM

[theinvaders-alison.blogspot.com]

Posted by: stoneskris ()
Date: February 24, 2009 14:52

Swaystones,

I want to ask you a personnel question.

Could you send me an e-mail to my home address please?

stoneskris@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Kris

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 24, 2009 16:05

The Dean Martin thing is ironic.
I've read that (like Keith) he liked to portray himself as someone worse for drink, when this was not always the case.
Also, I believe the Sinatra / Martin chemistry has been likened to Jagger/Richard.
Not in aspects such as the latter's working partnership, but more individual personalities.
Sinatra: hard working, professional, businesssman.
Martin: boozer, laid back, cool etc.
Too simplistic of course, but a grain of truth, perhaps.

Date: February 24, 2009 16:23

Dean Martin showed no respect when the Stones appeared on his TV show.

Although The Stones' UK TV debut also provoked a bulging mailbag: "The whole lot of you should be given a good bath," wrote one apoplectic viewer, "then all that hair should be cut off. I'm not against pop music when it's sung by a nice clean boy like Cliff Richard, but you are a disgrace. Your filthy appearance is likely to corrupt teenagers all over the country."

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 24, 2009 18:36

SwayStones

Although The Stones' UK TV debut also provoked a bulging mailbag: "The whole lot of you should be given a good bath," wrote one apoplectic viewer, "then all that hair should be cut off. I'm not against pop music when it's sung by a nice clean boy like Cliff Richard, but you are a disgrace. Your filthy appearance is likely to corrupt teenagers all over the country."

Are you sure this was a quote for an American TV show? I'd be surprised, as Cliff Richard was virtually unknown in the states.

Incidentally there's two different Rice Crispies ads featuring the RS (I have them both).

Date: February 24, 2009 18:49

Sleepy City
SwayStones

Are you sure this was a quote for an American TV show? I'd be surprised, as Cliff Richard was virtually unknown in the states.

Incidentally there's two different Rice Crispies ads featuring the RS (I have them both).

In fact,there are two different quotes,it's my mistake..
First one about Dean Martin show,the following one from UK TV.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home