Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Scarlet--MIA???
Date: April 27, 2010 07:31

when the first tracklisting rumors for the unreleased exile disc came out the mysterious Scarlet song was listed. one of those tracks like sophia loren that was rumored to have existed but never heard. well a retitled sophia made the cut but what about scarlet? it's been discussed on a few threads that it could be PMS, Following the River or even Title 5. on the ADTL thread TeddyB1018 (who's provided all kind of great info. regarding the unreleased EOMS tracks) mentioned that don was said the track (Scarlet) was like a hit single. so that would eliminate track 5 (generally a short instrumental would not fit the definition of a hit single) so it's possible that PMS is Scarlet, which kind of makes sense because a lot people on here think the basic track sounds more like GHS or IORR era, and didn't Keith record that back in '74 (according to various session-related books and sites) or maybe Following The River?

but after doing a bit of research i don't think either track is Scarlet, and since the earliest listed version of Scarlet is '74 it wouldn't fit the EOMS timeline anyway, also it's a Keith lead vocal though oddly enough there is a track jagger worked on with same title, but that is even later, in '76. so it appears the mystery of this track remains.

i have culled information on this track from a few websites, see below:

according to wiki re: Scarlet--On 15 October 1974, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, and Ian Stewart recorded an unreleased instrumental at Island Studios and named it "Scarlet', in her honour.

from another site:

October 19 in 1974, at London's Island studios, Jimmy Page records "Scarlet" (named after his daughter) with Keith Richards and Traffic's Rik Grech. Vocal duties are handled by Richards. Page pronounces the track "great, really good". According to Jimmy, this tune was to have been collected to LP of the Rolling Stones. But after all, it was not done. To many fans of Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones, this tune is very mysterious even now.

from the complete works website:

so 741015A 15th October: KEITH RICHARDS. London, Olympic Sound Studios.
- Scarlet I (MJ/KR?) -unverified
Line-up: KR (gtr, voc)/STU (p)/Jimmy Page (gtr)/Rick Grech (bass)/Bruce
Rowland (dr)

741123A 23rd November: KEITH RICHARDS. Berne, Switzerland, Sinus Studios.
Sound engineer: Peter MacTaggert. Overdubs-session.
- Scarlet II (MJ/KR?) -unverified
Musician: KR (gtr, voc, org, p)

1976:

760110A 10th January: MICK JAGGER. Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, Phonogram Studios.
Producer: MJ. Unverified solo-recording.
- Scarlet (MJ/KR?)
Line-up: MJ (gtr, voc)/Dadi (bass)/Antonio Adolfo (p)/Paulinho Braga (dr)/Luiz
Cláudio (gtr)/Neném (cuíca; a percussion instrument)/Marçal (tamb)/
Eliseu (tamb)/Lula (surdo; a percussion instrument)/Risadinha (pandeiro;
a percussion instrument)/Canegal (ganzá; a percussion instrument)
Note: KR strangely also recorded a solo song called Scarlet in 1974 (see
741015A and 741123A). The same song?

judging from this information it is interesting that a track called Scarlet was even rumored or suggested to be on this EOMS outtakes disc. unless there was an even earlier version of Scarlet cut in '71 (which is possible since that is the year Page's daughter was born) but regardless there is possibly at least three different versions of this song, and to my knowledge all of them unheard.

has even an excerpt of this track ever been heard on any boots or outtake recordings? i'd really like to know what Scarlet (or Scarlet's) sound like and also how it even became listed as a possible track for this collection. one thing certain about the various Scarlet's listed it does not appear to be an instrumental track.

Re: Scarlet--MIA???
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 07:40

I read some interview where Jimmy Page said Keith had put some "reggae" guitars on the track and that the drums sounded like "Blonde On Blonde", and it mentioned quite a few things about the recording of Scarlet, I'll see if I can find the interview

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 07:53

"I did what could possibly be the next Stones B side. It was Rick Grech, Keith and me doing a number called "Scarlet." I can't remember the drummer. It sounded very similar in style and mood to those Blonde on Blonde tracks. It was great, really good. We stayed up all night and went down to Island Studios where Keith put some reggae guitars over one section. I just put some solos on it, but it was eight in the morning of the next day before I did that. He took the tapes to Switzerland and someone found out about them. Keith told people that it was a track from my album" J. Page
Here it is:
[www.cameroncrowe.com]

Date: April 27, 2010 08:02

stones78
"I did what could possibly be the next Stones B side. It was Rick Grech, Keith and me doing a number called "Scarlet." I can't remember the drummer. It sounded very similar in style and mood to those Blonde on Blonde tracks. It was great, really good. We stayed up all night and went down to Island Studios where Keith put some reggae guitars over one section. I just put some solos on it, but it was eight in the morning of the next day before I did that. He took the tapes to Switzerland and someone found out about them. Keith told people that it was a track from my album" J. Page
Here it is:
[www.cameroncrowe.com]

cool thx! so maybe what jagger did in '76 was add even more of an island vibe to it in brazil, flesh out out the mix some and overdub some vox perhaps. of course it that were the case it would screw up the blonde on blonde mood of the track which page mentions.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 2, 2016 01:35

Any news about Scarlet?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 2, 2016 01:49

Gorki's Mia was Scarlet?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 2, 2016 14:36

RipThisBone
Gorki's Mia was Scarlet?

'Scarlet' is a mistery like 'High or Low'!
HOL should have been published on Bridge to Babylon.
Then disappeared until 2001/2002:
"April, 2001: SHERYL CROW. New York, unknown studio. KR works on Sheryl Crows upcoming album incl. - High Or Low (MJ/KR) -unverified"

"Jan. 10, 2002: Keith collaboration with Sheryl Crow
Keith and Sheryl Crow have been working on a song called "High or Low", she told reporters backstage at the American Music Awards in Los Angeles last night. It is still a work-in-progress and it won't be on her album, which comes out in a few months"

The disappearance of 'High or Low'!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 4, 2016 00:21

WTF means MIA??? angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-04 00:22 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 4, 2016 00:39

MIA = Music Insanely Addictive.

STFD is MIA. You listen to it once you never forget it. SAme for Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2016 10:25

Missing In Action ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 4, 2016 10:55

May I Ask

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2016 11:49

.....Farrow

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 4, 2016 12:27

Rockman
Missing In Action ..........

"when the legend is better than the truth..."

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 4, 2016 15:21

MIAO if you ask the cat...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 4, 2016 17:15

When last seen, Scarlet was still at Tara, hoping that Rhett would come back...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 4, 2016 18:07

Nice detective work, yes this is one of the more mysterious Stones outtakes out there...especially with the Don Was comment that it sounded like a "hit single" !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: January 4, 2016 18:54

gotdablouse
Nice detective work, yes this is one of the more mysterious Stones outtakes out there...especially with the Don Was comment that it sounded like a "hit single" !

The probleme is that a hit single from the 70' won't be one in 2016. Not sure that Brown Sugar or Honky tonk should be a succes now confused smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 4, 2016 19:04

ouroux58
gotdablouse

The probleme is that a hit single from the 70' won't be one in 2016. Not sure that Brown Sugar or Honky tonk should be a succes now confused smiley

Might be. Hits are not that predictable. But no reason to keep Scarlet a secret in vaults forever...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 4, 2016 20:00

This thread is SIX YEARS OLD!!! Please do not wake up OLD OLD OLD threads. If you have an urgent need to discuss a topic that is years old then feel free to start a NEW thread with a REFERENCE to the OLD OLD OLD thread. Thank you.

Bjornulf

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home