Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sticky Fingers magazine
Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 16, 2009 15:43

I used to get a small publication of Sticky Fingers by a guy named Jon Carr. i sent my renewal check a few years back and never got the magazine again. Anyone know what happened to it?? It had great news on bootlegs and such.

Re: Sticky Fingers magazine
Posted by: R ()
Date: February 16, 2009 17:11

Me too. I actually spoke on the phone with him a couple times. As I recall he might not have been in the best of health. The SFJ e-mail forum eventually rendered the magazine irrelevant as everything in it had been discussed ad nauseum by the time the magazine hit one's mailbox. Then chat sites like this and Rocks Off eventually seemed to render the more primitive e-mail forum likewise irrelevant.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 16, 2009 17:19

that magazine was great when it did fair reviews, but when it became sister morphine magazine because thay were friends of each other every other label and title from any other boot label became garbage just to promote sister morphine thats when i said see ya later to SFM

Posted by: blessed_poison ()
Date: February 16, 2009 17:20

Yes,
It was John Carr, and I do have every issue untill as you did sent the renewal, and never got it again. I believe he had open heart sergery, after a heart attack, and I do remember his house caught fire destroying his collection. I believe maybe to keep the magazine going just became too much. Joe

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 16, 2009 17:21

It is funny that you started a thread with that topic because I was thinking about starting one myself. Yeah that magazine was pretty good. That was my first stone-internet connection because SFM was running also a message board. In fact at the time somebody on their board mentionned IORR and how more technologically advanced IORR was that I decided to check it out and I stayed with IORR. I don't know what happened to SFM. Like you said Slew, the publication suddenly stopped showing up in the mailbox.
During the BTB(97) press conference,one of the SFM, Skippy I think is name was, got to ask Mick a question.
There was a very good writer"on their board, I believe his name was Fred Noris"stray cat blues" Lots of those cats were from Philadelphia. I still have on my bookshelves the magazines like more than a dozen. Very good articles. I wonder if some of the SFM guys are posting on IORR and if they do, who are they?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: February 16, 2009 17:30

Melillo - I agree all other bootlegs that were not by Sister Morphine did get trashed. I have a bunch of the Sister Morphine boots and I have to say they are pretty good. But there are other labels that are just as good.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 16, 2009 17:33

Skippy was his name. I liked that SFM email thing. But...it was a bit slow. And I would think since IORR came along it would be rendered moot.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 16, 2009 17:41

blessed_poison
Yes,
It was John Carr, and I do have every issue untill as you did sent the renewal, and never got it again. I believe he had open heart sergery, after a heart attack, and I do remember his house caught fire destroying his collection. I believe maybe to keep the magazine going just became too much. Joe

THAT'S correct. I'd forgotten about the poor bastard's house burning down. 'Skippy' took the e-mail forum and ran with it for a couple years after.

I remember selling a pair of extra tickets to a Stones-crazed couple I'd met thru SFJ for Chicago in '98. They were lawyer's assistants (or something like that) who'd met up via SFJ and basically blown off their world to follow the BTB tour. They called themselves '"Torn & Frayed." A lovely couple.

I also recall a number of Sticky Fingers Journal t-shirts on display in the nearby "Cheeseboogah, Cheeseboogah" joint before the show.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 16, 2009 17:52

I still got all the mags too!

Remember that I got a letter from John Carr. He planned to start the magazin again. But it never happened.

Particularly the first years it was quite a good read!
Media has changed but sometimes I miss mags like these!

Date: February 16, 2009 17:57

slew
Melillo - I agree all other bootlegs that were not by Sister Morphine did get trashed. I have a bunch of the Sister Morphine boots and I have to say they are pretty good. But there are other labels that are just as good.

yes when the magazine first started they used to praise VGP, then as soon as SM hit the scene those same titles that were praised by carr and his flunkies were suddenly garbage, i had many email battles with carr and his staff about this, so i figured why should io pay for this stuff when there are far better boot review magazines out there, including the beSt of all time BASEMENT NEWS, WHAT GREAT LITTLE MAG THAT WAS I HAVE EVERY ISSUE AND STILL USE IT FOR REFERNCE TO THIS DAY!!!!!

Date: February 16, 2009 18:02

I think you are a bit unfair to him now!
Yes, they kind of promoted SM. But that didin't mean that other labels got no good reviews as well!

Seems you had a personal problem with John. I can't see it strictly that way!

Date: February 16, 2009 18:04

ok read the first issues and then the later ones and tell me i am not right, of course other labels got good reviews but they went out of theyre way to put down VGP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-16 18:07 by melillo.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: February 16, 2009 18:22

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 16, 2009 18:33

SFJ gave VGP,Contraband, Boss Hawg and many labels GLOWING reviews when they deserved it but VG has always put out some of the best AND some of the worst garbage ever released! Maybe its cause they just wanted to release everything they could wich is fine. But it was nice to have a review so you wouldnt waste your money(especially at VGPs prices). It was quite a bit of time after the fire and the heart surgery that SFJ ceased production. The letter I received stated they would resume publication at the onset of the next tour(after 1999) but it never happened. I think Carr is a nice guy but I only received 1 or 2 issues after renewing at $40(if memory serves)with no refund.

Date: February 16, 2009 20:57

I looked at my last couple of issues and scottkeef is correct. Boss Hawg, Swingin Pig and VGP all have some titles with good reviews. VGP does put out some reall crap I have to agree. My favorite boots are done by Sister Morphine the Chess sessions and Could You Walk on Water are two of he best SM improved on some of the officially released versions.

Date: February 16, 2009 21:33

not gonna start a war over this, my points above are valid, just check how early issues praise VGP and later issues trash them even the good ones in favor of promoting SM titles of the same show or studio outakes, but again its all good so no need for this

Date: February 16, 2009 21:45

I respect your opinion but after looking back at the last eight issues or so before SFJ stopped I just dont see it. as a matter of fact in the last two issues(which were pretty thin!) there was only one SM title reviewed(Closer Than Close) and I believe 4 VG titles reviewed. Now the connection I wondered about(and heard rumours) were the over-praised Porky Productions discs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-16 21:51 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 16, 2009 22:31

Yeah have all the SFJ mags .. great in it's day.
Had the same stories from John Carr about fire then his health problems...

Did lean towards SM in the end but still picked up some great boots from reviews

ROCKMAN

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: February 16, 2009 22:34

I think there was a mini war between some SFJ and Undercover people, possibly involving the cat named Skippy, where some major flaming went on, but I dont know the details. Seemed to be some pretty childish stuff from the little I heard.

After what I heard, I dropped SFJ as it was pretty concerning.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: February 17, 2009 00:02

chelskeith
I think there was a mini war between some SFJ and Undercover people, possibly involving the cat named Skippy, where some major flaming went on, but I dont know the details. Seemed to be some pretty childish stuff from the little I heard.

After what I heard, I dropped SFJ as it was pretty concerning.

There was some very nasty stuff that directly involved Skippy. He had engaged in some vicious homophobic attacks on a member of Undercover who happened to be gay, and did some very dodgy things involving that UCer's employer.

Skippy may have been a knowledgeable Stones fan, but there was no call for him to conduct himself that way.

Date: February 17, 2009 00:11

As one can read in the link above some of the people concerned had bad health or even died.

When looking back to my backissues from SFM I must say I had alot of joy reading those mags! Esp. the issues from the early years were really great! Both from content and design!

With the last few mags you could guess they had some kind of problems cause they got thinner and had less quality.

Nevertheless I found it a pity when they stopped in the end.There was a lot of collected bootleg information and some nice writings!

I think (like every media more or less) they became a bit dependend on their customers (advertising labels). esp. in the end when Carr seemed to have money probs.
I remember having to wait over a year for some CD's from that new Porky label! I mailed Carr and he tried to help. Well, finally I got them.

All these seemed to come from the financial situation.
But again; - the mags in their good days were just fine!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: February 17, 2009 00:28

it's funny-- this topic comes up every once in a while....if you go back to my old posts you can read the truth about this whole "thing"----long story short: my name is dennis loebs and was the original writer for about the first half dozen or so issues. I had a lot of "creative" (LOL!) differences with Carr---he would change my reviews and insert whole passages that he wrote---without notifying me before publication...hence several of my reviews lost all my original intent...that did it for me...he was always trying to get free boots in exchange for good reviews---he had a small collection and borrowed half of mine so he could actually hear what i was talking about.....nice enough guy i guess but really did'nt know what he was doing or talking about....i knew he was gonna fold up but i was long gone by the time he did--right after he collected everyone's renewals....his mother's house burned down not his....the whole thing started off as cool idea but he fancied himself a writer and stones historian and started writing articles about tours and such (let bleed tour--huh??) and just copied stuff out of books....the other guys i didn't know or meet---didn't hear about all the controversy between message boards....bottom line: the guy and the mag turned into shills for free stuff.

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Date: February 17, 2009 00:29

I agree about them being great! When I first started getting them in 97 the format was "flat" paper, then it went to the glossy cover(the 78 tour double issue was fantastic!). Then,as you point out, the last two were shadows of their former self. I heard all kinds of rumours about the Porky label. There was also a couple of good cds put out on the "Rubber Dubber" label. I had the same trouble with Boss Hawg on the delivery once. But(even though I got stiffed on my subscription)I wish john had been able to keep it going or resume publication. Theres absolutely no feeling like getting that issue in the mailbox,tearing it open and reading cover to cover! Plus it DID save me some bucks on the reviews. Also(before my internet days) it gave me a chance to connect with tape traders.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2009 00:31

Porky label only did 3 releases didn't they?

ROCKMAN

Date: February 17, 2009 00:42

Yes,sir-as far as I remember. Closet Classics(1 cd),Stereophonic Stones(2cds) and Laid In The Shade Vol. 2 (Yeah,where was no 1?)2cds.Two reviewed by Carr and one by Marc Hoffmann. The ony "rarity" I found was the first time I had seen "Reelin and Rockin" released. The artwork was VERY plain with little info. All were reviewed in the last issue and given the most glowing write-ups I've seen. Then the whole thing seemed to go to sh-t! So it makes one wonder!
One more thing-in the last issue,they said PP was producing a 2 cd LIVE SB set from the Babylon Tour called "Blessed Poison"-guess it never happened?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-17 01:19 by scottkeef.

Date: February 17, 2009 01:45

Yes, around that 78 issue they were on their peak!
And that was later than the first few mags! In those days they did some very nice magazines!
And I felt the same about opening and reading it like you, Scottkeef!

Plus, apart from Carr there were some other guys writing in it. And some of them knew very well what they were doing!
Shame about all that trouble and ego-stuff!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home