Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Set List Debate- Keith's 2 song slot
Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: January 12, 2009 04:48

Ok, I know, the great set list debate! But this is a little different . . . actually probably not, its probably been discussed, well, sorry if it has but i missed it . . .

First off I was and always have been a true believer in changing up the set list, but as of late I have accepted the Stones for who they are and for what they (depending on you point of view this is either good or bad) and appreciating the shows that they have given us over the years . . .

After a few months hiatus away from the band,
Today I listen to Talk is Cheap, Steel Wheels and the Philly '89 rehearsals. (I was at both Philly shows in '89)

Listening to those recordings made me wish for Keith to at least play some solo material within his two song slot. He has had a number of years to do this, so I'm thinking that it will not happen. Not quite sure why not, but a few reasons, and certainly not all, are that he has enough Stones lead vocal material for the two slots, playing solo stuff is a kinda disrespectful thing to the stones, and it may open up a can of worms with Jagger. Imagine Jagger slipping in something like Let's Work . . . oh the humanity!

Imagine Keith doing:

Wicked as it seems
Make no mistake

Or he could do a combination of a stones song then a solo song, the solo stuff would be easy to do, for christ sakes they have a 15 piece band up there, backing singers and all . . .

Has anyone ever felt this way, or wished this way, if so, what would you like Keith to do?

Re: Set List Debate- Keith's 2 song slot
Posted by: Slick ()
Date: January 12, 2009 04:52

sing back-up only and play the guitar with no mugging.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 12, 2009 07:27

I think at their age they should take a 15/20 minute intermission and play 2x 1 hour + sets with no keith set ,but maybe connection /ygts sung with mick !

sc uk

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: January 12, 2009 09:29

2 10-12 minute versions of Happy. One with Mick.

The very idea of Let's Work being performed! Cracks me up...

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: January 12, 2009 18:26

32-20 blues-Keith only
Happy or Connection

What about "the worst"?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 12, 2009 20:58

NorthShoreBlues2
Ok, I know, the great set list debate! But this is a little different . . . actually probably not, its probably been discussed, well, sorry if it has but i missed it . . .

First off I was and always have been a true believer in changing up the set list, but as of late I have accepted the Stones for who they are and for what they (depending on you point of view this is either good or bad) and appreciating the shows that they have given us over the years . . .

After a few months hiatus away from the band,
Today I listen to Talk is Cheap, Steel Wheels and the Philly '89 rehearsals. (I was at both Philly shows in '89)

Listening to those recordings made me wish for Keith to at least play some solo material within his two song slot. He has had a number of years to do this, so I'm thinking that it will not happen. Not quite sure why not, but a few reasons, and certainly not all, are that he has enough Stones lead vocal material for the two slots, playing solo stuff is a kinda disrespectful thing to the stones, and it may open up a can of worms with Jagger. Imagine Jagger slipping in something like Let's Work . . . oh the humanity!

The stampede out the door would make the catastrophe at that Who Cincinnati concert look like a picnic.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 12, 2009 21:00

No member of the band has ever performed any of their solo work on stage with the Stones - I don't know if this is written into the contract like Mick's absence from the stage during Keith's set, but written or unwritten it seems to be the rule. I think NorthShoreBlues2 might be right - if Keith did sing Wicked As It Seems or whatever, there might have to be a tradeoff allowing Mick to do one of his (it doesn't HAVE to be Let's Work!) - and that might be the reason it's never been done, because I think Keith still resents Mick's solo stuff and wouldn't want to do it.

The question is: could it work? Most of Mick's solo songs aren't quite Stones material, and the Stones are not the Winos (see the recent discussion about Steve Jordan, for instance). I'd like to see them try it (maybe allow Ronnie to add one of his too), as long as nobody expects the results to sound much like the originals. Could be very interesting. But I don't think it'll ever happen.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: January 12, 2009 21:03

Gazza

The stampede out the door would make the catastrophe at that Who Cincinnati concert look like a picnic.

I'm sorry, if I missed something but what happened at this concert!?

As for NorthShore's suggestion: People don't go to Stones concerts to hear Keith's solo stuff. Not the vast majority anyway.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 12, 2009 21:06

if they do tour again - and i'm not at all convinced they will - they will have to come up some major changes in the act to get some of the old-guard here interested....

personally, i would be impressed if they acknowledged that they're not what they used to be and "play to their age" - that doesn't just mean changes in the setlist - but changes in their stage approach - and allow keith to play "within" his limitations. i'd be fine if they all sat down and played good parts of the set...eschew the warhorses in favor of "lesser" affair that enables them to focus on the music, not the spectacle.

but, that's just me and nobody ever listens to me...just ask the wife and kids....

Date: January 12, 2009 21:10

Green Lady
No member of the band has ever performed any of their solo work on stage with the Stones -

aside from the coupla times keith sang "sure the one you need" in '75....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 12, 2009 21:19

therollingmanu
Gazza

I'm sorry, if I missed something but what happened at this concert!?

As for NorthShore's suggestion: People don't go to Stones concerts to hear Keith's solo stuff. Not the vast majority anyway.

Fans trampled each other in 1979 at a Who show in Cincinnati - this was pretty much the death of festival style seating. 9 or 11 died. Awful.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 12, 2009 21:22

T&A
Green Lady
No member of the band has ever performed any of their solo work on stage with the Stones -

I just knew that if I said something like that, one of you out there would know better! I should have learned my lesson by now.

Date: January 12, 2009 21:27

Green Lady
T&A
Green Lady

I just knew that if I said something like that, one of you out there would know better! I should have learned my lesson by now.

just remember to never use words like never....

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: January 12, 2009 21:41

Maybe he can do just one song. Even a Chuck Berry or a rocker of his choice( cover song). I don't think he would do a solo song. It would seem weird. I think they lose their momentum when he plays. Especially two slow songs. I never left when he sings but you see alot of movement from the crowd.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: January 12, 2009 22:33

Two songs, 40 minutes apart to let Mick rest and re-group.
Who cares what he plays as long as he plays.
Unfortunately KR songs have gone LasVegas on us, check out 'Little T&A' from SAL, the worst song on the entire album and I love SAL.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 12, 2009 22:38

Really stretching eh?

NEVER.

Like it was said, it's the Stones, not solo. Keith can tour on his own if he wants to sing more than two.

Mick as well, doing solo.

That sums that up. No solo songs on a Stones tour. Never. They have enough solo songs within the Stones.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 12, 2009 22:53

Northshore - just wondering - what inspired your IORR name?

Date: January 13, 2009 00:07

skipstone
Northshore - just wondering - what inspired your IORR name?

North Shore of the center of the universe, Boston!!!!! just kidding . . .

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 13, 2009 00:19

clapton71
Maybe he can do just one song. Even a Chuck Berry or a rocker of his choice( cover song). I don't think he would do a solo song. It would seem weird. I think they lose their momentum when he plays. Especially two slow songs. I never left when he sings but you see alot of movement from the crowd.

Of course the show loses momentum. What would you expect at any show where you've been watching Jagger prance about for an hour and then suddenly he leaves the stage for ten minutes. Hard act to follow in terms of intensity. Mick needs a break and Keith's more than aware (and accepts) that things will go down a few notches in his absence.

He generally does one rocker and one ballad. Cant think there's been too many examples of him playing two slow songs.

And as evidenced on the last US & European tours, he doesnt seem to (or can't) play guitar AND sing lead at the same time anymore. Probably a post-accident motor skills problem. He mentioned that he was on medication to prevent seizures after his accident. Its possible that the degree of co-ordination required to do both simultaneously may be a factor in his choice to only do one at a time.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: January 13, 2009 00:44

Green Lady
I don't know if this is written into the contract like Mick's absence from the stage during Keith's setthink it'll ever happen.

IS that actually written into a contract or does he just do that to rest/ get a break since the Steel Wheels tour?

Date: January 13, 2009 01:01

Like T&A says, I would not even look for changes within the existing confines. The whole package and notion of a Stonesgig should change IMO. Get rid of the Bstage - or make Bstage the A-stage.Maybe the reason keith is not coming off so good, is because he is trying to act like a young buck up there. He would lose no cool-points for sitting down; do some Prodigal Son, Factory Girl

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 13, 2009 01:10

Arrr Keith should move back to the 4-5 spot and get the push
& momentum from that first bracket of opening songs like in the ole days...

Can't believe the 72 boys haven't already suggested it.....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 13, 2009 01:25

Rockman
Arrr Keith should move back to the 4-5 spot and get the push
& momentum from that first bracket of opening songs like in the ole days...

Can't believe the 72 boys haven't already suggested it.....

Yes rockman, absolutely, i agree . . . good post.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 13, 2009 01:25

2002 - donĀ“t look back.Mick.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 13, 2009 01:38

Keef singin' Gimme Shelter & Careless Ethiopians or Pressure Drop plus Happy. Or why not Little T & A or Before They.. istead of Happy?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 13, 2009 01:55

I have to say no solo stuff - I would like to see Mick come out and sing back up like on the studio versions.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: January 13, 2009 05:23

I can remember some shows where he played Slipping Away and TITN. I understand Mick works the crowd but he can pull on the reins when he wants to. One song and the group is back in it. I think someone made a comment that Mick focuses on showmanship and not on the singing. There can be a happy median. I don't need to see his dance moves on every song. What energy they will have at their age is to be seen. I agree the music is more important and should be their top priority.

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: January 13, 2009 07:32

When does Charlie get a break?? I can't imagine sitting there and doing that for two hours. I can't even ride in a car for more than half an hour without my back hurting! I mean, I don't care that he is sitting down, that can't be comfortable...wonder what kind of exercises he has to do and how he would have to get in shape to do that after long breaks between tours.

I think we all need to see Mick continue to run around.... He knows how to pace himself -- still think he should make a series of Jane Fonda-like exercise videos! He'd get Oprah to get that weight off.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: January 13, 2009 10:14

I've never been a huge fan of Keith's set myself, but if Mick needs a two song break then how about Keith & Ronnie singing a song each? I think this could be more interesting for casual fans, especially now that Keith struggles to sing & play guitar at the same time. I'm not a great fan of Ronnie's voice, but I think him singing something like 'Seven Days' would be as good as anything Keith can do.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: January 13, 2009 10:17

Another point: people on here are often suggesting that Keith should go on the road with The Winos again, but how about The New Barbarians instead? It would be good for Ronnie too.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home