Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

60s pop star Dave Dee dead
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 9, 2009 16:31

Dave Dee wasn’t much of a pop star but for us baby boomers who were teenyboppers in the 60s he had a handful of notable European hits in The Legend Of Xanadu, Bend It, Hold Tight and Zabadak. He was formerly a trainee police officer and was apparently the first copper on the scene at the crash that killed Eddie Cochran.
He was also a bigwig at WEA in the 70s and was instrumental in signing many bands.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-09 16:39 by Silver Dagger.

Re: 60s pop star Dave Dee dead
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 9, 2009 16:36

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Sad news - we were only talking about him, the other day,
on the Eddie Cochran thread.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: January 9, 2009 17:05

Another one gone from the golden age of the 1960's, very very sad.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 9, 2009 17:49

That's sad nice guy

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 9, 2009 19:04

I had some of his albims from: Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky Mick & Tich

Loved their clothes...

MLC

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: January 9, 2009 19:28

Just read about him in Sting's "Broken Music" today. He was an A&R guy at Atlantic Records in the 1970's.

Apparently, he got a tape from "Last Exit" (where Sting played bass and sang) and demanded more. Sting and his colleagues prepared another tape and sent it to Dave Dee. The reply they got was something along the lines of "Thank you very much for sending me something new. The next time you send me a cassette, don't forget to put in the actual tape. Yours, Dave Dee".

They had sent him an empty box.

Posted by: django ()
Date: January 9, 2009 19:29

Sad news. I met him and his band when I was 10 years old or so. I was dining with my family in a hotel's restaurant in Düsseldorf when the band walked in. They took their seats at a table right beside our table. My sister who is 6 years older than me and a big fan of DDDBM&T back then was too shy to ask for autographs. So I had to do the job for her. Dave and his buddys were obviously making jokes about me all the time but I did not understand a word. I will always remember this day, 40 years ago.

Dave had grilled chicken with French fries.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home