Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Concert High Ticket Prices
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 14, 2010 01:35

The price of concert tickets back in the late 60's and through the 70's was cheap, period. Everyone could afford to go. These days top quality seats cost from a percentage standpoint WAY more money. Consequently, many fans are priced out of better seating.

The Stones were raising the bar back in the 90's, however even the Steel Wheels tour seats weren't high IMHO. Despite high ticket prices though on their most recent tours, they were filling venues unless outdoor gigs had weather issues to keep fans away.

Blame the scalpers as much as anyone, but oh yes, the Stones ask top dollar and get it.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 14, 2010 01:41

GAZZA..I know for a fact that people would of paid alot more than $180- for a Stones ticket here...alot more..probadly most of those people that went to the concerts would of.And even then they put on a 3rd concert.I could of sold my Ticket for quite a bit more if I wanted to no worries...Different story for ACDC..a week before their last concert they dropped their ticket prices from $160- to $99- that just wouldnt happen at a Stones concert here especially when people think it may be the Stones tour..GAZZA when Keith was in Auckland hosptial he said to one of the nurses..(ill be back).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 14, 2010 01:51

Its all about judging the market properly. On the last Stones US and European tours, they were tarping off sections to make the venues look like they'd sold more and on the late 2006 US leg they were also offering 2 x $99 tickets for the price of 1 at many venues in the last few weeks before showtime.

Promoters will do whatever gimmicks are necessary to avoid losses.

The Stones are usually a bigger draw than ACDC I guess, so its a different market. The 'this could be the last time' factor always helps.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 14, 2010 01:54

I had 22nd row centre seats for Voodoo Lounge in '94.
$60.

Conincedentally, I had 22nd row centre seats for Biiger Bang in '05.
$350.

It's shameless gouging, and I will not pay that for any band again.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 14, 2010 02:08

Jamesfdouglas..1995 Voodoo Lounge Auckland concert cost $99.50..3 rows back centre stage..thinking I couldnt be any luckier..later that night I had 2 guitar picks throw my way by keith how does sound.Both framed and hanging on my wall with the ticket.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 14, 2010 02:20

KSIE
tatters
KSIE
If you convert $7.50 of 1969 dollars to 2010 dollars (using U.S. inflation, mind you) the current-day equivalent is about $44.00

Those '69 hippies, ALWAYS WHINING!!

smiling smiley

$44.00 is not $450.00. And it will be even more next time. If there is a next time.

My point exactly. Those '69ers didn't know how good they had it!

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant, that $7.50 was a perfectly reasonable price in 1969, which it was, but if $7.50 in 1969 dollars is equal to $44.00 today, that means that $450.00 today is equal to $76.70 in 1969 dollars. Can you imagine if the Stones had charged $76.70 in 1969? The arenas would have been empty. Or they would have been burned down.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 14, 2010 05:13

This discussion you boys n' girls n' teddy bears are having about Stones prices is all water under the bridge now and is totally irrelevant in any case. The next time the band plays it'll be for FREE. Queenie will introduce the band by confessin' the blues and that she's always been a secret RS fan and that both she and indeed the entire country are hugely proud of them, the boys'll bring the house down to either open or close the London 2012 Olympics, and everyone'll be happy. KR will be threatened with a knighthood and react violently, Charlie wil decline to be interviewed as usual, RW will say nothing other than "anyone got a light", MJ will make innumerable sarcastic remarks to shut annoying journalists the f**k up, and that WAS .... ladies n' gentlemen .... THE ROLLING STONES !! The soundtrack to many a life !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 06:04

I agree - their ticket prices are insanely high. I will not drop $250/seat again unless Mick Taylor is on the stage too. In fact, I won't pay that much for anyone excepting maybe McCartney, whose setlists have convinced me that I need to try and go see him. Three hours at his age is stupendous.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: April 14, 2010 06:16

I have to jump in and don't want to offend all the expert here but I noticed this comment "and when I saw Led Zeppelin at the same venue in March 1970, the top ticket price was $7.25 ($7 + .25 ticket charge)"...who else was on the show*?
The price discussion was started by Ralph Gleason and was as wrong then, as it is now!! Gleason was a shill for Bill Graham who was pissed when we didn't let him promote the tour..go figure...
I have discussed this elsewhere but will reiterate a bit..
First -this was the first time an entire rock concert package was touring (just check out the talent that was on the show*--Ike and Tina Turner, BB King, Chuck Berry etc.)
Second - the Stones insisted on performing in proscenium--they didn't want anyone behind them that couldn't watch the show, thereby cutting the seating of stadiums by approximately 1/4 to 1/3.
Third - the tour was costing over $500,000 to produce which you can translate to now dollars like you did for the tickets..
Fourth - we controlled and scaled the pricing and kept it reasonable at $8.50 for the top seats... the promoters wanted to charge $25...!!
and even with all that the Stones agreed to perform at a free concert in SF..we all know how that went..

Sorry, I need to add... the prices they charge now are ridiculous but I don't know the cost involved with their shows so I can't cast aspersions...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-14 06:18 by bmuseed.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 14, 2010 06:23

VoodooLounge13
I agree - their ticket prices are insanely high. I will not drop $250/seat again unless Mick Taylor is on the stage too. In fact, I won't pay that much for anyone excepting maybe McCartney, whose setlists have convinced me that I need to try and go see him. Three hours at his age is stupendous.
Yeah VL. I paid about a buck fifty to see Sir Paul in AZ a few weeks ago. It was worth every penny for the show and the travel expenses...and I'd pay it again if the opportunity arose. Best non-stones/Springsteen show I've ever seen.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 06:44

unfortunately, there are no dates listed in the US anymore.......hopefully he comes back thru.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 14, 2010 07:17

bmuseed
I have to jump in and don't want to offend all the expert here but I noticed this comment "and when I saw Led Zeppelin at the same venue in March 1970, the top ticket price was $7.25 ($7 + .25 ticket charge)"...who else was on the show*?

Nobody,(they way it should be) it was 2 1/2 + hours of all Zep. When they came back to the States in March for that tour, that was their first tour without an opening act (at least in the States).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-14 07:20 by BluzDude.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home