Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Lynyrd Skynrd Brixton 31st May 2009
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 28, 2008 18:12

Just got myself a ticket for this, always had time for this band, and whoever could forget their blistering performance at Knebworth over 30 years ago ? I recall loads of people in close proximity to where I was saying that the Stones were going to have pull out all the stops to top that particular Skynyrd performance.

Anyone seen them recently in their current form ? Comments.

Re: OT: Lynyrd Skynrd Brixton 31st May 2009
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 28, 2008 18:24

See if you can get a refund quick. This aint Skynyrd, its some shameless @#$%& raping the memory

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 28, 2008 18:45

They're playing Atlantic City tonight.

[www.pollstar.com]

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: November 28, 2008 20:15

Got my ticket for it too, Brixton Academy. Gonna be sweet!!!

This incaranation of Skynyrd is kicking. the last album was a cracker,seen 'e, support ZZ Top a few years ago and they really rock.

Can't wait for it. gonna rock.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: November 28, 2008 22:09

I saw the new incarnation of Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1998 and 2002 and while I enjoyed both shows at the time, I wouldn't pay to see them again.

I feel that this band shouldn't tour and record new music under the name Lynyrd Skynyrd. Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, and Gary Rossington were Skynyrd's three core components and Van Zant in particular was the soul of the band. Van Zant of course died in the plane crash and Collins died 13 years later from complications of paralysis due to a car crash in 1984. Collins was a major force in the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, penning such classics as "The Needle and the Spoon", "Tuesday's Gone", "That Smell" and of course, "Free Bird". Gary Rossington is the only founding member of the band still playing today.

Pianist Billy Powell is still in the band, and has been there since before the first album, but was not a founding member. For anybody who enjoys the new Skynyrd, more power to you. But I myself don't consider this band to be the real Lynyrd Skynyrd. No Ronnie Van Zan or Allen Collins equals no Skynyrd to me!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: November 28, 2008 23:32

LS is still a great show and Ricky Medlocke is well worth the price of a ticket. Enjoy!

Watch the 76 DVDs and you will see that LS blew the wasted Stones off the stage. Keef was about comotose and was barely standing let alone playing.

Date: November 28, 2008 23:54

yeah, but that WAS Lynyrd Skynyrd!

Date: November 29, 2008 00:28

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 29, 2008 02:00

Medlocke of Blackfoot fame.

Agree that Medlocke still has the guitar chops.

That said I have read interviews where he slams Skynrd's music as being dated.

If he feels that way he shoudn't be touring in a band under the name of Lynyrd Skynrd - just pulling a check for the name of a band that really does not exist anymore.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 29, 2008 02:51

This current "Lynyrd Skynyrd" is VERY different from the original band.
A pale imitation with a few good moments

Billy Powell is still a better piano player than Leavell.
Gary Rossington is a fine guitarist when he wants to be.
Johnny is not Ronnie to put it nicely.

Date: November 29, 2008 12:42

All true, but still a fun night out at a reasonable ticket price. No different than The Who, or the Stones for that matter who are probably farthest from their 70s form.

The only exception to the rule is Alice Cooper whose live act now is musically better now than back in the day, even if the writing can't touch that of the ACG.

Dudes are all old now. 70s are gone, enjoy what you can in life today rather than fussing about what was.

Date: November 29, 2008 13:33

Medlocke should get back to Blackfoot and end this painful nonsense

Date: November 29, 2008 14:06

F@ck the name. The way I see it, no matter what they call themselves, they still play great straight forward rock and roll...period!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 29, 2008 17:13

paulywaul, enjoy the show. Like you, I haven't seen Skynyrd since the Freebird went down, but I hear they are okay. It's a nostalgia show. Maybe Elmo can comment on this thread. I think he saw them recently.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 29, 2008 18:09

Thanks for the intro, Lukester!

I was lucky enough to see the band twice before the crash - blistering hot! I also saw Rossington-Collins, the Tribute tour, and several tours since then.

Everything written above is true - it will be a great, fun, kick-ass show. That said, I don't think they should call themselves LS. I always thought Medlocke was a "show off" with Blackfoot and his style of playing changes the sound.

As a footnote, Medlocke was an early drummer for LS and can be heard on the First And Last CD.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 29, 2008 20:04

Steven
All true, but still a fun night out at a reasonable ticket price. No different than The Who, or the Stones for that matter who are probably farthest from their 70s form.

The only exception to the rule is Alice Cooper whose live act now is musically better now than back in the day, even if the writing can't touch that of the ACG.

Dudes are all old now. 70s are gone, enjoy what you can in life today rather than fussing about what was.

Yeah right. I think people get too caught up in a name. Yes it's the name that sells. But are The Who really The Who? I mean if these guys want to go out and play music and people want to pay to hear it,go for it. I haven't seen the current LS lineup live. I have seen them on tv and heard it on th radio. Not bad. Just don't expect to recapture the original sound.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 30, 2008 02:37

Elmo Lewis
Thanks for the intro, Lukester!

I was lucky enough to see the band twice before the crash - blistering hot! I also saw Rossington-Collins, the Tribute tour, and several tours since then.

Everything written above is true - it will be a great, fun, kick-ass show. That said, I don't think they should call themselves LS. I always thought Medlocke was a "show off" with Blackfoot and his style of playing changes the sound.

As a footnote, Medlocke was an early drummer for LS and can be heard on the First And Last CD.

Yes, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that Medlocke in the early days played some drums for L.S.

Would agree about the "show off " statement too.

Saw Rossington-Collins back in 1982 at an outdoor show.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 30, 2008 02:40

1cdog - you're very wise, my son.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home