Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine A Light in Poland & general observations
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 12, 2008 00:19

13-11-2008

[merlin.pl]

I can't wait! And I just hope it's gonna be a good version with lots of bonus material :-)

It costs about 18 dollars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-22 15:13 by Amused.

Re: 13-11-2008 Shine A Light in Poland
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 12, 2008 00:31

Finally shine a light in Europe.

Hope you´ll be amused .

Date: November 12, 2008 00:38

just Keefed & Happy winking smiley

Date: November 22, 2008 15:01

OK, watched it yesterday for the first time on my DVD.
Yeah, booklet has lyrics to Lou Reed's "Berlin". It's more ridicoulous than funny, despite the fact translation is rather good and written by Daniel Wyszogrodzki, who knows the Stones well and who have translated "According to the Rolling Stones" to Polish before. So I just don't get how could they be so mistaken! I'm going to post the pics, sorry - not now - I'm too busy to find my camera cable.
Also, TD is called just "Tumblin'", and of course JJF is written "Jumping Jack Flash", g instead of apostrophe, maybe I'm weird but I hate it!

Subtitles are shit.

What's more, on this little documentary there's lector!
Yeah, and no option of disabling it.
So, when Keef and Mick are playing jokes, they are read by typical TV bored voice. Awful.

"SAL Rehearsals" disc could cost the hell, I'd buy it anyway.
It was thrilling and exciting to hear "Factory Girl", and Keith playing "Only Found Out Yesterday", and "Back Of My Hand" was Mick the Great Guitar Player (slidin' the soul outta Elmore!). Even "Connection" was charming.
Why so short? Why no full songs so I could rip them to my iPod? Bastards.
And hell, "She Saw Me Coming" wasn't there. I'm sad panda!

Hapiness was brought back to me by bonus songs section. "Undercover...", oh how I hate it. The song is really awful, showing the Stones at their worst, I kinda like "Miss You" but it was too far! And believe me or not, I was thrilled by the live version. Keith playing lazy but very nice (like in "Some Girls" on SAL), Ronnie playing awesome, awesome, awesome. He was wonderful. I guess Ekaterina was excited as well ;^) And "I'm Free". Haha. I just love 1969 version, the one found on SAL is more like the Stripped version. Positive, Mick was happy to show how free he is to do whatever in the world he wants winking smiley

More film commentary soon. Profile of my class is about movies and literature, so at school we're discussing a lot of movies and I'm learned how to appreciate good directors. Cameramen, light and directing are high @#$%& class on this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-22 15:18 by Amused.

Re: Shine A Light in Poland & general observations
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 22, 2008 15:45

Amused, i'm curious how the sound level is on your copy. i got the Polish release and returned it the next day
because of that awful voiceover on the featurette and because the sound level of the film is so low
that i had to turn it up to about 20 notches above my "usual" to get normal volume.
i still haven't decided whether to get the US version (since the speed/pitch will be nearly right)
or the UK version (with the multi-angle JJF) ... or maybe i'll wait for a Japanese version,
which might have the right pitch and the multi-angle numbers (a sssoul can hope!)

but i loved I'm Free: ~*KEITH!*~ :E

Date: November 22, 2008 16:12

> Amused, i'm curious how the sound level is on your copy. i got the Polish release and returned it the next day

yeah, same problem here. not that I can return my copy, but I'm playing it 30% louder than any other DVD. I'm now shuffling Four Flicks Olympia SMU and SAL SMU, the first one sounds much better. when SAL is loud it's very listenable, though.

I don't care too much for multi angle JJF honestly, the trick done with "Monkey Man" was a nice opportunity to stare at Charlie a little while but I've watched it two or three times, no more.

what I need is longer documentary/featurette/rehearsal shots! can't be satisfied with what I got.

and okay, too gentle at times but "I'm Free" rules winking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 22, 2008 16:32

>> I don't care too much for multi angle JJF honestly <<

i just don't dig this deal with different extras for different countries - i want all the extras, just on principle.
and thanks for letting me know about the volume - if that had been the only flaw i wouldn't have returned it,
but that voiceover on the "featurette" is just too lame.

the painful brevity of the featurette is another question, of course!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-22 20:59 by with sssoul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home