Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dexy's Midnight Runners
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 8, 2008 15:52

I just got the cd version of "Searching for the young soul rebels" by the Dexy's. It's a remastered edition. The last time I played that album was 25 years ago so it was strange to listen to it after all that time. I still love it.The Dexy's were a great and quite original band coming out in the late 70's in the middle of the punk revolution. A "big" band composed of 8 musicians, playing complex music (compare to the 3-chords-no-technique approach of the punks) the dexy's relied on their horn section and Hammond organ to create a music full of emotions and devotion. Back in the early 80's I was listening to that record a lot and none of friends understood why. I was in my Motown and Stax phase I guess. But I didn't like "Too-rye-Ay" and the third cd that Kevin Kowland release under the name Dexy's was not good at all. Any of you out there like "Searching for... rebels" ?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: Dexy's Midnight Runners
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: November 8, 2008 16:45

What's this got to do with The Rolling Stones?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 8, 2008 17:15

The deluxe version of Too Rye Aye is excellent with a wealth of live stuff and outtakes.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 8, 2008 17:47

terrible music, terrible band

Posted by: guy ()
Date: November 8, 2008 17:50

Brilliant band, brilliant music, great soul. The night after I saw them perform at the Dominion Theatre, Tottenham Court Road, I met Keith Richards coming down the steps of a famous restaurant in Greek Street(round the corner from the Dominion), and shook his hand. Dexys were brilliant.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 8, 2008 23:09

Sleepy City
What's this got to do with The Rolling Stones?

Nothing. Rollmops just forgot to preface the subject with OT that's all.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: November 8, 2008 23:22

Dexy's were highly under appreciated and sort of screwed themselves by having a pop hit with Come on Eileen. Then of course Kevin Rowland rejected the pop star image and did nothing much worth mention ever since.

BUT. . . . . the remastered Young Soul Rebels reminds us of their great potential and sounds f-ing awesome on a top line HiFi rig turned up to 11. I've also been re-discovering it this year.

Take a chance. It's price discounted last I saw in London.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home