Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Stephen Stills today
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 20, 2008 14:21

I'm planning to go see Stephen Stills tonight at London's Shepherds Bush Empire. However a few friends have warned me that he is way below his best, and that his voice is no longer what it was. Has anybody seen him lately to confirm whether he's still worth seeing?

Re: OT: Stephen Stills today
Posted by: RobbyTuesday ()
Date: October 20, 2008 14:46

Don't pay attention to your friends! I saw him at Shepherds Bush on the 11th and I was blown away! He may not be in his twenties at the hight of his game anymore but he still knows how to put on a good show. If you are a fan you will not want to miss it. Go and have a good time.

And to answer your question, yes, he is still indeed worth seeing!

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: October 20, 2008 15:09

silver dagger, you are so lucky! enjoy tonite!!!!

stephen's voice may not seem what it used to be, but I had a great time in Paradiso, two weeks ago. unforgettable.

Posted by: Phantom ()
Date: October 20, 2008 15:16

Unfortunetally, I was abroad when Stephen Stills played over here in Brussels a while ago but I read excellent reviews in the newspapers so I would definitely go if I were you, Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Keef Rider ()
Date: October 20, 2008 17:10

Silver Dagger
I'm planning to go see Stephen Stills tonight at London's Shepherds Bush Empire. However a few friends have warned me that he is way below his best, and that his voice is no longer what it was. Has anybody seen him lately to confirm whether he's still worth seeing?

Hi Silver

I attended the 3rd and last Stills's concert in Italy at Smeraldo Theater in Milan on Oct. 3 and - sorry to confirm - your friends are quite right. The guy is always an acustic guitar master but the voice .... cannot reach the same levels of the '70, for sure. The electrical part (the 2nd half) of the concert was painfull and - trust me - I'm really a S. Stills fan but ... time waits for
no one.

Date: October 20, 2008 17:27

Thanks for the insight guys. Think I'll still go. Does he do much Manassas stuff which is one of my fave ever albums?

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: October 20, 2008 20:12

I saw him at the House of Blues in LA last year. Band was great, Joe Walsh came out and jammed with him on "Rocky Mountain Way." Stills put on a good show, voice not as strong as whe he was younger....I'd go....

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: October 20, 2008 21:37

For more Stills listen here ( Shepheard's Bush Oct 11th ):

[www.guitars101.com]

or Amsterdam ( Oct. 8th ):

[www.guitars101.com]

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 20, 2008 22:27

I saw him 8 or 9 months ago and it was a really good show. A good mix of older and new songs and a good mix of popular songs vs. some hidden/forgotten gems. The guy is a great songwriter.

His voice is not what it once was but the music was A+ in my book.

Go and enjoy the show!

Date: October 21, 2008 13:12

Update on last night's show. First thing, I got in for free. I'm finding that at more and more shows if you get there late enough the ticket touts (scalpers) are almost giving tickets away...at least in London.

Anyway, the acoustic half brought great versions of 4+20, Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Find The Cost Of Freedom and Johnny's Garden plus more. I missed the first few songs so he may have done Wooden Ships then as he didn't play it later on. Yes, his voice sometimes strained but he kept within the limitations of his voice and didn't hit any bum notes. His acoustic playing was superb. Stills has such a unique way of phrasing and playing lead that from 20 feet away, where I got to in the stalls, it was a marvel to behold.

The second half though was a total revelation. Stills has reinvented himself as Neil Young and Crazy Horse and the first two songs were long instrumentals with great solos, feedback and a pumping rhythm section of bass and drums (Joe Vitale) plus a keyboard player.

He played For What It's Worth, Love The One You're With, Rocky Mountain Way, a Tom Petty song I didn't recognise and loads more. I was so pleased I went so thank you guys for tipping me off.

Date: October 21, 2008 14:03

Glad you liked it , Silver Dagger.
Stephen is a very friendly guy, we met backstage after the show, were even allowed to take some pictures .

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 21, 2008 14:06

Hey Silver,

Slightly off topic, but how was the Jenny Lewis gig last week?
I wanted to go but couldn't make it.

Date: October 21, 2008 14:20

Jenny Lewis was amazing. She's my new Joni Mitchell. A truly great songwriter and a dynamic live performer.

The venue was sold out so it shows that she's becoming more popular at least, without the need for a hit single.

She wore a trilby and the lights were pretty dark most of the time so difficult to see her face. She definitely was concentrating in giving a stunning performance which she did with ease. Weird seeing her without the Watson Twins so the show was a bit more rocking than her last solo appearance at Shepherds Bush Empire in 2006. A highlight was the encore of Love Hurts sung with her guitarist.

She played about 4/5 songs off the 1st album and the rest of the new one. Can't wait for her first DVD.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 21, 2008 14:30

Do you know something I don't?

Is there a Jenny Lewis dvd release planned?

That would make my day!

Date: October 21, 2008 14:34

silver dagger, send me an email, I can send you a pic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-21 14:35 by the juf.

Date: October 21, 2008 15:17

Hi the juf,

I would but I haven't got an email address for you.

Date: October 21, 2008 15:19

go to my website paulinestroosnijderdotcom and send me an email via the contact page.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 21, 2008 15:22

There are lots (289) pictures from Shepherd's Bush here [www.smugmug.com]

Date: October 21, 2008 16:17

thumbs upexcellent pictures, thanks for mentioning them here, Valeswood.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 21, 2008 16:53

As a songwriter, Stills may have hit his peak when he was still in Buffalo Sprinfield. The track listing of "Just Roll Tape; April 26, 1968" shows that many of his best songs had already been written by then. But Stills is correct when he says that he only learned to play guitar REALLY WELL when he was 50. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that Crosby's liver transplant took place around that time and, though the 'Cros was still able to perform, for the next couple years he played a very small part in CSN's live performances. It was Stills who really had to step up to the plate and carry the whole show. I saw them a couple times around '96 or '97 and he was just ON FIRE!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 21, 2008 18:19

I still really like Stills first solo album that featured guest appearances by both Hendrix and Clapton.

Stills is a Florida boy originally. I saw him at a concert in FL several months back and he talked about growing up in south Florida.

Amazing amount of great guitar players that the state of FL has produced:

Duane Allman, Steve Stills, Don Feldor, George Terry to just name a few.

You could also add some names like Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Dickie Betts, Bernie Leadon.................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-21 18:32 by 1cdog.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 21, 2008 18:25

..... Tinsley Ellis, Tom Petty, Henry Paul, ......

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: GoodGigsVids ()
Date: November 8, 2008 10:18

Here is a video I shot From the Monday night show.
It seems to me from the interviews he has given lately there is more going on with his voice than the age thing. It is strange to hear him talk so I wonder what's happened to him?

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: November 8, 2008 15:07

He is still out there sluggin', you have to give him that !

I would LOVE to see him, live...enjoy !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2534
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home