Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

5:44 in Time Waits For No One
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 19, 2008 18:38

Just listening to this as I work a bit here at dawn on a Sunday morning before the family arises--never struck me before not just how beautiful Nicky Hopkins' playing is on this song at this point, but how plaintive as well.

Obviously this song is a bit of a coda for Mick Taylor, figuratively and literally, but it seems to be for Nicky as well. I know he came back with them a bit on record after this, but I don't think ever on this level. The playing is forceful, passionate, even a bit desperate. There are days when this is my favorite song by this magnificent band...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-19 18:45 by hbwriter.

Re: 5:44 in Time Waits For No One
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 19, 2008 23:09

This is a another fine exmaple of "Who's the composer". If Mick T claims for it, why not Nicky, too? They are soloing/"arranging" and not composing on a structure given by the composers (Mick/Keith).
Two further examples:
Mick T is actually answering to Bobby Keys solo in Can't You Hear Me Knocking and not to Mick's and Keith's rather structured song part.
Though: I'm still puzzled why Bill Wyman is given no composer credit for the Jamming with Edward lp - but Nicky, Ry Cooder and Charlie are!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 21, 2008 04:08

Hey audun-eg!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 3, 2008 03:56

also--after Mick's scatting, at 3:47--he is talking to/at/with someone -- check it out--any info?

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: November 3, 2008 15:51

I'll have to dig it out and give it a listen.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 3, 2008 16:27

Is that the point of the song where the piano goes all over the place, like chimes? It is a very water dripping over the ledge soft music playing behind the ferns kind of moment and kind of song like that.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: November 3, 2008 18:38

Hey,

I liked the way the crowd was singing along when Taylor played it live a few
years ago. granted it wasn't Taylor at his best, word was he was feeling pretty ill that night, but the longer the song went, the better it got. They have
to play this number if Taylor is ever allowing to sit-in with the Stones, down
the road..

MLC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home