Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, AC/DC Black Ice Review album
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: October 25, 2008 15:00

In my modest opinion,

Rock n´roll train, can explode a concert, I mean in a good way, love the guitars and and rythm, good song!!
Skies on fire, I like Brian Johnson when he sings, I know you, know me... he is fantastic!!! great guitars as well.
Big Jack, continue great rythms of guitars, by now it´s the best song for me, I like it!!!
Anything goes, a good one too, sounds a little bit 80´s for me, but contagious rythm!!
War machine, they sound like Metallica in some moments, weak song in my opinion.
Smash and grab, sound like those 80´s songs, but good one
Spoilling for a flight, the other great song of the album, great composition of guitars and rythm, amazing guitar solos.
Wheels, I like this song as well!
By far 8 songs of the album and great songs, for me of course, lets see the the seven ones left.
Decibel, a little ballad in their style.
Stormy my day, the begining of the song incredible, I love it.
She likes rock n´roll, trying to copy all night long lyric...
Money made, great riff from Angus
Rock and roll dream, I like a lot this ballad, great song, one of the best in that bucket of the best ones!
Rockin all the way and Black Ice,good songs to complete this great rock and roll album.
Best songs for me, rock and roll train,Skies on fire Big Jack, Spoilling for a fight, stormy my day, rock and roll dream, rocking all the way, and black ice
The weakest ones, war machine and Decibel
Clearly, best song for me BIG JACK!!!!
Carlitos
Tenerife
BIG JACK
The steam is a burning,
Workin’ up and down the line,
The pot is getting ready,
He’s been working it so hard,
When it comes to lovin’,
Big jack is on his way,
Wink of satisfaction,
His time is going on,
I’m like a bad defender,
Smoking holy Joe,
He’s a big pretender, look out for jack,
He’s on his way,

Big Jack, Big Jack,
You know it’s only natural, he gets you up to scratch,
Big Jack, Big Jack,
You’ve got a reputation you really got the knack,
Big Jack, Big Jack,
He said that he’s the only one who got a full sack,
Big Jack, look out Jack, he’s always at your back.

You never leave a dollar,
Racking up the balls,
You like to get it on fast,
Back there standing tall,
When he hears the siren,
He’s gonna put you on the racks,
He’s got a bad reputation, climbing all over the bars
Gonna press the flesh,
Rockin’ rollin’ soldier,
He’s the last of them all,
Well tell jack, he’s on his way,

Big Jack, Big Jack,
You know it’s only natural to get you up to scratch,
Big Jack, Big Jack,
Always in trouble got to turn the other way,
Big Jack, Big Jack,
Always like to party and he likes the girls to play,
Big Jack, look out Jack, he’s always at your back,

Big Jack, Big Jack,
Big Jack, Big Jack, you’ve got a reputation, really got the knack,
Big Jack, Big Jack, he said he ain’t the only one who got a big sack,
Big Jack, lookout Jack, ain’t no need to worry, he’s always at your back

Re: OT, AC/DC Black Ice Review album
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 25, 2008 23:00

I have listened to the CD at least a dozen times straight through. I love the CD, but just to show you that everyone has different opinions, in my view, as a 30 year fan of the group, the weakest songs are:

Skies on fire, Rocking all the way, followed by Decibel and Black Ice
just my Opinion

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: October 25, 2008 23:39

Finally, a new album of my second favourite band!

+
Rock 'n' Roll Train
Big Jack
War Machine
Spoilin' For A Fight
Black Ice

o/+
Smash 'n' Grab
Wheels
Decibel
She Likes Rock 'n' Roll
Rocking All The Way

o
Skies On Fire

-
Anything Goes
Stormy May Day
Money Made
Rock 'n' Roll Dream

No hits. No song of 5 or 6 minutes with some improvisation. They copied In My Time Of Dying (Led Zep) and Waiting For A Bus (ZZ Top). They used this harmonic background singing style, that I absolutely dislike. All in all: 6/10 points. The album gets a seventh point, if I skip four tracks.

For comparison: I rate The Razor's Edge 6/10, Live 10/10, Ballbreaker 9/10, Stiff Upper Lip 7/10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-25 23:49 by Pokalheld.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: October 25, 2008 23:57

i would rate black ice 8/10 .
razors 6/10 , ballbreaker 7/10 , Live 10/10 , Stiff Upper Lip 8/10

Posted by: Ian Billen ()
Date: October 26, 2008 14:31

AC/DC - BLACK ICE October, 2008 85%

It has been eight long years and AC/DC fans almost quit hoping. Black Ice is AC/DC's first album since 2000's Stiff Upper Lip and a the band will perform a world tour tour behind it to boot.

Let's get it on. First and foremost, this is a different kind of album for AC/DC in that they changed how the grooves worked on a number of songs. They Young's along with Producer Brenden Obrien changed it up in the song structure a bit. This is notably AC/DC's most non-standard album especially as far as song structure goes. Black Ice can best be described as neither super good nor any real disappointment but rather rides as an "enjoyable" listen.

In addition, there is a slight pop dust spotted over many of the tunes. What? AC/DC goes completely Pop? No. Not completely. In a sense we got a fresher sounding album than usual based on this "pop lace" than your standard AC/DC ensemble. It is interesting to hear AC/DC in such light. However, some hard core AC/DC fans may be let down by this additive.

The drum sound you hear with the gated ride symbol over top of the kick and snare on "Rock and Roll Train" is how much of the albums drums sound and beat along all through Black Ice. They are purposefully produced to bring about a more catchy theme. The guitar solo's are poignantly placed but never too long. The album is a mix of different kinds of tunes (well, different kinds of tunes for this bands standards) with an acceptable pop dash to them. The very positive here is it is as different as anything we've heard AC/DC venture into.

Now, are the songs themselves good? Yes. Some are good. Others on this release remain simply decent. The song "Wheels" is a strong song with a likable momentum and will be a favorite on the disc. "Wheels" boasts Chuck Berry stylish guitar soloing which keeps this number pleasurable as good old Rock n Roll. Theres a garage sound with a thick fingered pluck to the strings on this song and on other tracks on this disc which make the solo's sort of "junky".. in a good way. Nothing really smooth or fluid here as far as Angus Young's guitar solos are concerned throughout.

"Anything Goes" is by far and away the most "poppy" on the album but to say this little number doesn't stick in your head and have you singing it to yourself after just one listen would be a lie. Nothing comes close to this on Black Ice in terms of the gloss it carries. The bad part is the reverb and gating took this one a bit too far in it's production. What would of been nice would of been a KISS approach (KISS as in "keep it simple stupid", not the KISS the group ..wink-wink) on this little diamond that never got it's true destiny. The new AC/DC Black Ice album is interesting in listening on the first run or two, gets better, and has you liking it as a whole more as time goes on and AMAZINGLY no one song runs like another..

While some songs are of better calibur than others as you listen Ice is a wholistic effort as in a cohesive release without any total drop em dead standouts. It is too much a stretch to say we have any anthem AC/DC songs. No one track can quite join the ranks of "Highway to Hell" or "TNT". However, what we do have that is admirable is a mostly solid album in being a mix of good and slightly above fair tracks. Only one song brakes this plain. "Decibel" proves to be the only real track that is truly a lack-luster throwaway.

The bulk of Black Ice are mid-tempo rockers and a few slightly slower, non-standard AC/DC numbers such as "Rock N Roll Dream" which goes from a song that is tinged with almost (but not quite) sappy balladry to rocking 1971 classic "Who style riffs" coupled with Keith Moon drumming back and forth throughout the song. This is certainly a real new approach and game changer for AC/DC. On a few songs there is some definite "funkier" sounding grooving that you haven't heard the lads try before.

One thing that is mostly nonexistent is the big, raucous Angus Young guitar sound (then again that has been gone since the eighties). Angus Young does well enough himself but the guitars are a little (and purposefully) compressed and gated sounding themselves on most of it. Why? The trade off is a catchy theme versus a huge sound. O'Brien doesn't let the guitars completely out of the gates to breath as their eighties songs. Instead he uses the guitars either as an additional back wall of sound to the song or as a nifty, gated riff that keeps you guessing a bit. These two recording styles of guitar work and the catchy drum recording style I spoke of earlier is how the album presents itself sonically.

As you listen to Black Ice a few times you will recognize the fact that lyrically it is a certain step up in it's verbality from most of AC/DC's other material. It sounds like more thought concerning innuendo's and double meaning's was put into this than what we usually get from these guys. Johnson sings about his usual subject matter...drinking booze, money, woman, sex and skies that are on fire! While it certainly is all AC/DC topics this time the jargon is thoughtfully put together better in a 2008 AC/DC and seems to add more quality to the songs themselves.

Brian Johnson's voice makes the grade. He never totally yowls and screams quite as he used to but he gives it what he has and he receives a certified pass. His vocals are sort of nicely graveled sounding in places. As well, in a few spots Johnson tries a deeper, more relaxed vocal tone we haven't heard before just to let you know he still has a trick or two left.

This album may not be entirely what everyone was expecting (but that certainly doesn't mean it's a bad thing) but the different approaches mixed with a good old AC/DC base all this an enjoyable as well as interesting listen.
The tracks selected this time make an even more coherent effort than on quite a number of other albums AC/DC has released in the past. All the numbers sound as if they are from the same cloth and every song sounds from these specific recording sessions which is a sure plus. This, is a sign of a recorded work that has a quality to it. AC/DC tried some new things here and they now have a new chapter to add to their long and proud career. Ice isn't so different that you will not know exactly who it is (except "Anything Goes" which makes you think there must be some kind of mistake when the song begins...) blaring out of your speakers and it isn't as though you feel the men from down under threw in the towel to Rock n Roll. What we have here is an album that traded off to make something a bit newer and "FM sounding". Our Australian friends didn't necessarily kick us in the face with an out and out stunner in Black Ice but they sure kept it interesting this time while pumping out that AC/DC rock.

"Look Out Jack" - Brian Johnson, 2008

Black Ice result is: 85%

.. Ian Billen -

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-26 18:44 by Ian Billen.

Date: October 26, 2008 14:40

I like your review Ian!!!
I agree with you mostly but what about the song Big Jack?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: Phantom ()
Date: October 26, 2008 14:51

Favourite songs: Rock N Roll Train, Smash N Grab, Rock N Roll Dream.

Weakest songs imho: War Machine and She Likes Rock N Roll (that must be the worst AC/DC song ever!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-26 14:51 by Phantom.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: October 26, 2008 16:41

I loved each musical note on the album .
the only thing i didn't like so much was phil rudd's drums playing. it's the same rhythm everytime , his sound is really poor on this record.

Posted by: Ian Billen ()
Date: October 26, 2008 18:30

Thank you Carlos.

I like "Big Jack". I think it is one of the better ones on the album. Notice at the very end of my review I gave a quick quote from the song ("look out Jack"). That song is pretty catchy. I think "Skies On Fire" and "Rock n Roll Dream" as well are a few of the stronger numbers. To me, "Decibel", "She Likes Rock n Roll" and "Spoiling for A Fight" are kinda weak in the song writing skill category. Still, a good enough album though.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-26 18:37 by Ian Billen.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 26, 2008 18:51

i'm upping my last 7/10 to an 8/10

there are a few songs i could happilly do without, She Likes Rock N Roll, Rocking All The Way, Rock N Roll Dream and Spoilin For A Fight

but i can still live with them rather than press skip

current faves are

Rock N Roll Train
Big Jack
Anything Goes
Smash N Grab
Money Made

but overall its a @#$%& cracker

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2008 19:15

carlitosbaez
BIG JACK
The steam is a burning,
Workin’ up and down the line,
The pot is getting ready,
He’s been working it so hard,
When it comes to lovin’,
Big jack is on his way,
Wink of satisfaction,
His time is going on,
I’m like a bad defender,
Smoking holy Joe,
He’s a big pretender, look out for jack,
He’s on his way,

Big Jack, Big Jack,
You know it’s only natural, he gets you up to scratch,
Big Jack, Big Jack,
You’ve got a reputation you really got the knack,
Big Jack, Big Jack,
He said that he’s the only one who got a full sack,
Big Jack, look out Jack, he’s always at your back.

You never leave a dollar,
Racking up the balls,
You like to get it on fast,
Back there standing tall,
When he hears the siren,
He’s gonna put you on the racks,
He’s got a bad reputation, climbing all over the bars
Gonna press the flesh,
Rockin’ rollin’ soldier,
He’s the last of them all,
Well tell jack, he’s on his way,

Big Jack, Big Jack,
Big Jack, Big Jack,
Always in trouble got to turn the other way,
Big Jack, Big Jack,
Always like to party and he likes the girls to play,
Big Jack, look out Jack, he’s always at your back,

Big Jack, Big Jack,
Big Jack, Big Jack, you’ve got a reputation, really got the knack,
Big Jack, Big Jack, he said he ain’t the only one who got a big sack,
Big Jack, lookout Jack, ain’t no need to worry, he’s always at your back

Something tells me "Big Jack" is a metaphor for the writer's penis.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 26, 2008 21:15

"He said that he’s the only one who got a full sack"

is actually 'Santa's not the only one who's got a full sack'

according to Brian and my ears

Date: October 27, 2008 00:25

Jajajaja, Andy, Ian and Gazza, you are great amigos!!!!

Love you all people of IORR,

Carlitos
Tenerife

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1541
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home