Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: ZZ TOP current theater tour
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 7, 2008 09:42

Saw ZZ TOP last night in Cleveland. It was a stop on their "In Your Face" tour. They played a 2,500 seat theater.

Anyway, if you are thinking of seeing them they are playing many rarities and songs they have not played in a longtime, never played before and a few covers.

Two highlights was a cover of "Hey Joe" and from the Eliminator album "I Need You Tonight"

Here's a few pics I snapped from the aisle with my pocketsized Sony 12.1 Cyber-shot.

Re: OT: ZZ TOP current theater tour
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: October 7, 2008 10:37

Thanks for posting.
I saw them a couple a month ago. It was a really good show.
They played two encores. Tush and La Grange as usual and then they came back and surprised us with Jail House Rock and Foxy Lady. Great! You could see that they really enjoyed themselves that evening.
Billy Gibbons is still my fav. guitarist.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 7, 2008 17:15

I wonder if 2,500-seaters are all they can fill these days or if they are playing smaller venues just because they want to. Sure would be nice if the Stones would do a theater tour. Sure, most of us wouldn't be able to get tickets, but think of the bootlegs!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 7, 2008 18:24

Good question, ohno. Southern rock's heyday has long since passed. I still love it though.

Went to see 38 Special and Molly Hatchet Sunday at The Georgia National Fair. Crowd of maybe 2000 in the heart of Georgia! In the day, this bill would have played major arenas.

Review: Original Molly Hatchet singer Danny Joe Brown is long dead and only 2 original members were on stage. Very lively show, but a poor sound mix (boomy bottom end) and too many Spinal Tap-like planned moves (swinging the guitars in unison, getting the crowd to yell "Hell Yeah", etc.) hurt them. Easily the ugliest band around - look like a bunch of Lemmys.

38 Special on the other hand was very good. Professional, well-paced, mostly hit-filled show. Donnie Van Zant moves a lot and works the crowd very nicely. Also, guitarist (and lead singer for most of the hits) Don Barnes was most excellent. The keyboard player did a great job on the high harmonies.

Extra notes: Molly Hatchet said they would be recording at Abbey Road studios in December and did a MH version of "A Hard Days Night"!!!???!!!

38S encored with "Hold On Loosely" and a medley/segue of Chuck Berry's "Living In The USA" and CCR's "Travellin' Band".

I first saw 38 in 1976 opening for Lynyrd Skynyrd! In fact, I saw LS twice before the crash. Elmo is showing his age!

Oh yeah, ohno, I'd love to see ZZT in a theatre.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-07 19:49 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 7, 2008 19:05

Me too, ZZ Top was great the one time I saw them (1990, the Black Crowes opened).

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 7, 2008 20:22

Nice review and pic Elmo...Does anybody have a tour schedule for ZZ. I know they are playing the Bridge School benefit out here in a couple weeks. ZZ acoustic. That should be interesting.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 7, 2008 20:27

sweetcharmedlife
Does anybody have a tour schedule for ZZ.

[www.zztop.com]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 7, 2008 20:31

erikjjf
sweetcharmedlife
Does anybody have a tour schedule for ZZ.

[www.zztop.com]

Thanks. That's wierd,they don't even list the Brideg School show and no other shows in the area. Oh well,maybe they'll add more.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 7, 2008 22:48

Elmo Lewis

does that 'dude' in the middle with the teased hair realise its not the 80s anymore ?

and that looking like a builder is not a good starting point when trying to fluff your locks up grinning smiley

i wish ZZ would get their arses over to the UK

Date: October 7, 2008 22:48

The 2,500 seater in Cleveland was not sold out. Several rows of empty seat on the main orchestra level back corners.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 7, 2008 22:49

Are they ever gonna visit Europe?

Date: October 7, 2008 23:55

ohnonotyouagain
I wonder if 2,500-seaters are all they can fill these days or if they are playing smaller venues just because they want to. Sure would be nice if the Stones would do a theater tour. Sure, most of us wouldn't be able to get tickets, but think of the bootlegs!

they normally play 10k-15K venues

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 8, 2008 05:53

trainarollin
The 2,500 seater in Cleveland was not sold out. Several rows of empty seat on the main orchestra level back corners.

How much were the tickets?

Date: October 8, 2008 07:27

Most tickets were $49.50 The empty seats were the $49.50's

There were $505.00 Tickets that were in the front row, but also included a meet & greet with the band where they could get a couple things signed.

I was at the Meet & Greet for being in the fan club. I paid a one time for of $100.00 in 1985 and get 2 free tickets and passes for every tour since 1986's Afterburner.

It was odd this time, Billy was wearing pajamas and the band sat at a table and signed stuff, however Billy Gibbons just drew a "B" and an "08", instead of Billy G and Frank was signing with a half dead black sharpie and would not switch pens. I had a couple items that now looked ruined.

Anyway, it's always nice to see them live.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: October 8, 2008 08:54

trainarollin
It was odd this time, Billy was wearing pajamas ...

Billy obviously loves wearing pyjamas:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1315
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home