Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Led Zep audition for new singer
Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: September 20, 2008 12:41

Some news from SUN:

[www.thesun.co.uk]

If LZ goes on tour with new singer, probably it will be a fiasco. Plants vocie is a LZ special thing that can't be replaced.

Like Stones going on tour without Jagger or Richards.

Page better think twice before doing such a stupidity.
If he wants to go on tour - do under another name.

Re: OT: Led Zep audition for new singer
Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 20, 2008 13:25

If it's in the Sun it's not exactly "news", more "gossip" or "rumour"...

I wouldn't mind Page, Jones, Bonham Jr. and, let's say, Eddie Vedder...

It's Pages & Jones' band and music as much it is Plants...if Page & Jones have a desire to play those songs for a paying audience one last time on a large scale tour - let them do it. It's their decision, not ours.

We don't own any band or musician, and they don't owe us anything. Not Led Zep, not the Stones.

If Jagger would be unable to tour but Keith, Ronnie and Charlie would like to go on tour with another singer and play "The music of the Rolling Stones" I'm not in a position to tell them not to. Not that I think it would work without MJ in control of everything;-)
I'd prefer it if they'd not use the original band name, though. I think to call it "Queen + Paul Rogders" nowaydays and not "Queen" anymore is ok. Btw, their new record is not...

Date: September 20, 2008 13:36

ask the singer of the answer

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 20, 2008 13:47

Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard the new singer's name is Jack Russell.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-20 13:49 by Edith Grove.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 20, 2008 14:28

Jack Russell is the leadsinger of Great White!

Led Zeppelin is not Led Zeppelin when Robert Plant is NOT the leadsinger!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 20, 2008 14:34

I wonder how Noddy Holder sounds these days? He could certainly out-sing Robert Plant at his peak...

Date: September 20, 2008 14:38

Ladykiller

I wonder what legal ramifications would come up if they tour as Led Zeppelin with this Russell guy.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 20, 2008 14:43

Edith Grove
Ladykiller

I wonder what legal ramifications would come up if they tour as Led Zeppelin with this Russell guy.

I seem to recall Robert Plant himself insisting in the 80s that no-one would call themselves Led Zeppelin without John Bonham (& they weren't billed as Led Zeppelin at Live Aid)....

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 20, 2008 14:45

One would hope that they have more class than to call it Led Zeppelin if Plant's not involved. With two of the four members of Led Zeppelin involved, they can call it Rhodium Dirigible in honor of the element that's closest to half the atomic weight of lead.

And if Jack Russell of Great White is involved, they mustn't let him talk them into using any pyrotechnics!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-20 14:47 by baxlap.

Date: September 20, 2008 14:46

baxlap
they can call it Rhodium Dirigible in honor of the element that's closests to half the atomic weight of lead.
>grinning smiley<

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 20, 2008 15:12

Billy Squire is available-stroke me stroke me! Just knock 20 bucks off the tkt price and it'll work.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 20, 2008 15:31

Sleepy City
I wonder how Noddy Holder sounds these days? He could certainly out-sing Robert Plant at his peak...

That's an excellent suggestion. Noddy was loosely considered as a replacement for Bon Scott in AC/DC.

They could do a 'Yes' and get a singer from one of the zillion Led Zep tribute bands.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 20, 2008 16:19

baxlap
One would hope that they have more class than to call it Led Zeppelin if Plant's not involved.

Exactly. I'm all for them finding a new singer if Plant isn't available, and then hitting the road, but just don't call it Led Zeppelin because it wouldn't be. They could call it Zoso. I always liked that symbol:

Date: September 20, 2008 16:21

So who should be the new singer? Some possibilities that come to my mind are Chris Robinson, Scott Weiland, Johnny Lang, Eddie Vedder like somebody already mentioned ... who else would be good?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 20, 2008 16:43

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 20, 2008 17:33

OK, here's my wild prediction, but, if correct, you heard if from me first.

The new singer for Neo Zeppelin / Zoso / PBJ / whatever the heck they will call it will be.....

(drum roll, please......)

David Grohl, of the Foo Fighters.

The only reason I toss this out there is that one of our rock stations here in Atlanta mentioned that Grohl is foaming at the mouth at the prospects of a Led Zep reunion, and that he has suspended activity with the Foo Fighters for the time being..... Page and Jones came on stage to jam at a recent FF show......there are reports that the Page, Jones, and J. Bonham have been rehearsing in London with "an un-named American singer."

Possible??

Something to consider, or the wild ravings of a 53 year old rock and roll drummer? (Namely, me.....)

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: September 20, 2008 17:39

They would never tour as Zep without Plant.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 20, 2008 18:03

I'm sorry, Led Zeppelin without Plant is as bad as the Doors of the 21st Century (or whatever joke they are calling themselves) or Queen with Paul Rodgers. In a group like Led Zeppelin, the Who or the Stones where there is a prominent lead singer like Plant, Daltrey, and Mick, replacing the singer is never an option. I don't like Led Zeppelin or Robert Plants singing but at the same time you cant replace him.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 20, 2008 18:17

Mongoose

This could be the only scenario that would keep me away from attending this possible tour.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 20, 2008 18:51

They should cover Sad Sad Sad because that is what this whole thing is.

Date: September 20, 2008 19:25

leteyer
Mongoose

This could be the only scenario that would keep me away from attending this possible tour.

I'm not that crazy about the Foo Fighters (some of their early stuff is good, but what I've heard from the last few albums kind of sucked), but as long as they were doing Zeppelin songs and not Foo Fighters songs I could see it. Grohl is a good singer, and it would be nice to have a second guitarist in the band as well. And he's also a drummer, maybe he could duet with Jason Bonham on Moby Dick smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-20 19:26 by ohnonotyouagain.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 20, 2008 20:10

Mongoose: I hope I gonna see you in the audition for new drummer smiling smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 20, 2008 21:17

Dave Grohl would be better than Jack Russell. (the dog or human). But I don't care if they call it Led Balloon,. If Jimmy Page is playing Led Zeppelin music. I'm listening.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:27

Thanks, Ricky!

Somehow, I don't think my phone will ring for that particular audition.

All of this still gets down to what I call the "Rule of Three" .....if you have three original members, you can still use the name.

Obvious exceptions include Steely Dan (Becker & Fagan could have ANY musicians playing with them, and it's still Steely Dan). Also, if you've seen Ray and Dave Davies on the stage together, you have seen the Kinks, no matter who was on bass, drums, or keyboards.

I saw the Beach Boys in the early 90s with Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, and Mike Love, so.....yeah, OK, there was a Wilson on the stage, so you can safely call that lineup the Beach Boys. Same with Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour in 94....without Waters, but, OK, three members, I'm OK with telling folks that I have seen Pink Floyd.

Page and Jones as the only original members of this new outfit? I'll be interested as a fan, and still might go see 'em, but I would lose a lot of respect for them if they billed the show as "Led Zeppelin."

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:30

Pink Floyds Pulse was still Pink Floyd and I like it.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:35

Heck, if Zep is doin' it, AC DC should too. Brian Johnson's voice is shot...just listening to tracks off Black Ice...he sounds really forced...on key, but VERY weak.

JR

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 20, 2008 23:24

stone-relics
Heck, if Zep is doin' it, AC DC should too. Brian Johnson's voice is shot...just listening to tracks off Black Ice...he sounds really forced...on key, but VERY weak.

JR

I wholeheartedly disagree!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 20, 2008 23:53

Page & Plant didn't call it "Led Zeppelin" at the time in the 90's, but they played Zeppelin songs. Nothing wrong with that.
Same would go for Page & Jones.
No biggie, just don't call it Led Zeppelin.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 21, 2008 00:08

is alison kraus the new yoko?? winking smiley sort of.....

i guess you can't really break-up a group that isn't together so....

maybe alison & robert can be the opening act for LZ. ?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 21, 2008 01:00

They can call it the New Yardbirds!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home