Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Earl Palmer dies at 84
Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 20, 2008 07:48

[ap.google.com]

Hall of Fame drummer Earl Palmer dead at 84

48 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Earl Palmer, the session drummer whose pioneering backbeats were recorded on such classics as Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti" and The Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin,'" has died. He was 84.

Palmer died Friday at his Los Angeles home after fighting a lengthy illness, his spokesman Kevin Sasaki said.

Born in New Orleans in 1924 and later moving to Los Angeles, Palmer worked extensively in both cities, recording with some of the music world's all-time greats on thousands of tracks.

His beats form the backdrop on Ike and Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High," Fats Domino's "The Fat Man" and "I Hear You Knockin'" by Smiley Lewis.

From his Los Angeles home, Palmer drummed for music producer Phil Spector and Motown, and his session credits include artists as diverse as the Monkees, Neil Young and Frank Sinatra.

Palmer was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000. According to the institution's Web site, Little Richard wrote in his autobiography that Palmer "is probably the greatest session drummer of all time."

Palmer married four times and is survived by his seven children.

Re: OT: Earl Palmer dies at 84
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 20, 2008 07:55

He was sitting in the aisle right across from me at the Stones last show at Dodger Stadium.

Was in a wheelchair and looked pretty fragile.

RIP

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 20, 2008 13:28

RIP Earl.

I'm sure we'll see a lot of local press about Earl Palmer here in New Orleans.
I'll try and post the articles when I find them.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 20, 2008 14:42

This has been a terrible week for the Grim Reaper taking away much loved musicians. Earl was the quitessential rock n roll drummer and leaves a huge legacy. I'm sure Charlie, Ringo, Keith Moon and John Bonham were fans to name just a few out of thousands. God bless you Earl. We salute you.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 20, 2008 17:35

indeed: thanks & praises, love & light

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 21, 2008 01:41

Date: September 21, 2008 06:55

what a resume!

earl palmer some say invented the rock and roll backbeat..

fabulous player...

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 21, 2008 07:59

He actually didn't play on "River Deep, Mountain High". A guy named Hal Blaine did. He, however, was a tremendous drummer with a great resume.

On a side note, "River Deep, Mountain High" was one of the most energetic, exciting, alive songs ever recorded. It is one of the underrated great songs of all time. Masterfully produced, perfectly put together, and unmatched energy. A true classic.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 21, 2008 16:10

DaveG
On a side note, "River Deep, Mountain High" was one of the most energetic, exciting, alive songs ever recorded. It is one of the underrated great songs of all time. Masterfully produced, perfectly put together, and unmatched energy. A true classic.

ok... any other songs Earl Palmer didn't play on that you want to mention here?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1929
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home