Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones Merchandising video /PROMOTOUR 1989
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 25, 2010 14:02

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Stones Merchandising video /PROMOTOUR 1989
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 25, 2010 16:00

Who is that beady-eyed prick who can't say anything good about the Stones?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 25, 2010 16:50

Well, it's been over twenty years since this video was made and the Rolling Stones are still playing to 70k seat stadiums and the critics in this video have never been heard from again.

On the other hand some valid points are brought up. The video of Jagger trying to sell t-shirts is beyond pathetic as is the Stones refusal (at times) to grow up musically. How could they write tunes like Salt of the Earth in their 20's yet produce songs with such little substance as "She Saw Me Coming" in their 60's? The public expects more from the biggest band in the world.

Jagger must get it through his head that 70 year old men are not going to have pop hits. The Stones should concentrate on making great music again and leave the hits to stars who are literally young enough to be their great grandchildren.

The Stones desperately need to change the business model of the last 21 years if they are going to continue (I believe they will record + tour in the near future) these monster tours are just too much at this point. We've been there and done that better than anyone has ever done before...Sometimes more is just more.

Scaled down tours and serious albums that matter would gain them back some of the respect that they have lost over the years...The Stones need to find a producer who has the balls to tell them no if they want to make the late in the game classic that they are capable of making... If the Stones were to make that type of serious/scaled back album/tour the public and critics would eat it up. It would make for a Santana like comeback where the Stones would win album of the year at the Grammy's and be the critics darling of the moment... Or they can at 70 years old continue to sing about their cocks as they do in Rough Justice.

The path for success for the Stones in 2010 is an obvious one,but they seem to not be able to see the trees through the forest. Why make a great record when you can sell a great t-shirt for $35?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 16:52 by James Kirk.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:47

"Jagger must get it through his head that 70 year old men are not going to have pop hits"

As unlikely as it is to sink in, perhaps his goal is to be the first!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 25, 2010 19:13

It was great when they returned in 1989, they recorded great songs and played wonderful concerts from 89 on, but this video is a lowpoint of their career. So embarrassing, so greedy, so stupid.

Date: March 26, 2010 07:34

James Kirk,I agree more or less with your comments but honestly,you can't say it doesn't look as a gangland killing .I don't know who are these two critics but obviously ,they aren't hardcore fans.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: likarollinstone ()
Date: May 3, 2010 01:58

LOL! Bitter ...itheads

Let me tell you one thing. As a new fan, I don't feel pushed to buy anything I see in the rolling stones store. In fact I don't feel like I need to buy anything except the remastered studio albums, ya ya's and a few other things.

As for the t-shirts, gimme a @#$%& break. these are the cheapest and the coolest t shirts out there. hell yeah, that logo is worth a lot, because its the symbol of the greatest rock n roll band in the world. compared to "designer" logo product prices,30 bucks for a neat little t shirt is really nothing.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 3, 2010 02:30

Although I agree the Jagger merchandising video is pretty lame, the other people talking in this clip are just pathetic. Half of what they say is based on opinion and not fact. Typical bullsXXt critics. They are so far up their own asses I'm surprised they could see the Stones on the Steel Wheels Stage.

Oh it's the 80's, you shouldn't play Under My Thumb now!!! Bollocks, it's a great song, if you don't like it, tough sxxt!

Oh it's the 80's, they're not moving forward and are out of touch with the times?? Should Keith and Ronnie strap on those Keyboards with Guitar Necks and Replace Charlie with a machine called Roland???? Pass.

Not talented enough to do something artistic? Simple, become a critic and slag off those who are. Stupid pretentious Yuppy turds!

I HATE PRETENTIOUS CRITICS, PATHETIC TURDS, ALL OF THEM!!!!!!

Ok, rant over!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 3, 2010 04:19

Edith Grove

Sean O'Hagan

The same Sean O'Hagan who wrote that glowing article in the 'Guardian' just last week extolling the wonders of Exile On Main Street that so many on here enjoyed.

A sanctimonious, right-on arse from when the NME was at its pc-worst (hence his obsession with the lyrics of 'Under My thumb').

The clip in question comes from a 'special' called 'J'Accuse' which he wrote and presented on the band on Channel 4 around 1990. The tosser being interviewed at the start is 'acclaimed' Stones biographer Philip Norman. The same guy who whines on about the Stones ad nauseam yet who cashes in on EVERY new Stones tour with a quickly thrown together and sloppily researched update of his shite book.

Hypocritical wánker..

Some of the points they make are reasonable enough, but unfortunately the way they're put across make them look like a pair of miserable tossers who need to lighten up a bit and get laid for the first time.

Imagine being stuck next to that tosser O'Hagan at a party. You'd jump out the feckin' window.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 04:25 by Gazza.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 3, 2010 04:33

yeah these guys are relentless, but as you said some of their points ring true,i liked the one about no one is running home to listen to the emotional rescue lp lol

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 3, 2010 05:19

Gazza
Edith Grove

Sean O'Hagan

The same Sean O'Hagan who wrote that glowing article in the 'Guardian' just last week extolling the wonders of Exile On Main Street that so many on here enjoyed.

A sanctimonious, right-on arse from when the NME was at its pc-worst (hence his obsession with the lyrics of 'Under My thumb').

The clip in question comes from a 'special' called 'J'Accuse' which he wrote and presented on the band on Channel 4 around 1990. The tosser being interviewed at the start is 'acclaimed' Stones biographer Philip Norman. The same guy who whines on about the Stones ad nauseam yet who cashes in on EVERY new Stones tour with a quickly thrown together and sloppily researched update of his shite book.

Hypocritical wánker..

Some of the points they make are reasonable enough, but unfortunately the way they're put across make them look like a pair of miserable tossers who need to lighten up a bit and get laid for the first time.

Imagine being stuck next to that tosser O'Hagan at a party. You'd jump out the feckin' window.

Nail on head.

Just to add for anybody that doesn't know that J'accuse was a series where each week a cultural institution was knocked down in the name of trendy entertainment,and was probably watched by about 374 people.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: May 3, 2010 05:58

James Kirk
Well, it's been over twenty years since this video was made and the Rolling Stones are still playing to 70k seat stadiums and the critics in this video have never been heard from again.

On the other hand some valid points are brought up. The video of Jagger trying to sell t-shirts is beyond pathetic as is the Stones refusal (at times) to grow up musically. How could they write tunes like Salt of the Earth in their 20's yet produce songs with such little substance as "She Saw Me Coming" in their 60's? The public expects more from the biggest band in the world.

Jagger must get it through his head that 70 year old men are not going to have pop hits. The Stones should concentrate on making great music again and leave the hits to stars who are literally young enough to be their great grandchildren.

The Stones desperately need to change the business model of the last 21 years if they are going to continue (I believe they will record + tour in the near future) these monster tours are just too much at this point. We've been there and done that better than anyone has ever done before...Sometimes more is just more.

Scaled down tours and serious albums that matter would gain them back some of the respect that they have lost over the years...The Stones need to find a producer who has the balls to tell them no if they want to make the late in the game classic that they are capable of making... If the Stones were to make that type of serious/scaled back album/tour the public and critics would eat it up. It would make for a Santana like comeback where the Stones would win album of the year at the Grammy's and be the critics darling of the moment... Or they can at 70 years old continue to sing about their cocks as they do in Rough Justice.

The path for success for the Stones in 2010 is an obvious one,but they seem to not be able to see the trees through the forest. Why make a great record when you can sell a great t-shirt for $35?

well said . . . agreed

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 3, 2010 06:44

Gazza
Edith Grove

Sean O'Hagan

Hypocritical wánker..

Oh the way only you can say it Gaz. Laughing and nodding at the same time is quite hard you know.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 3, 2010 10:59

Gazza
Edith Grove

Sean O'Hagan

Hypocritical wánker..

I 've never heard about "J'accuse" from Channel 4.
I bought Norman's book many years ago but didn't realize his views hadn't changed.
They call Mick Jagger and the Stones, the" Methuselahs "of the rock 'n' roll world ?
In the 60s , it was common for popular music bands to speak out against the war .
What do these critics want from the band ? Being the same ?

Why make a great record when you can sell a great t-shirt for $35?
Sad but true.

Posted by: Fluffybunny777 ()
Date: May 3, 2010 12:38

What a bunch of sad losers, who are these unrecognisable nobodies slagging off the greatest rock n roll band in the world....

yeah ok Wyman in a bandana was a tad dodgy but who gives a crap!

While these sad twats were wanking over some cosmo mag the Stones were on stage kicking ass as ever... Lou Reed... come on seriously???

The merch from Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle was great, I had loads of the T-shirts (worth a few quid on ebay now too) and as for the Logo comments just @#$%& off! The tongue logo is up there with Coca Cola, Nike, etc instantly recognisable..

The Stones kick ass end of, @#$%& off yuppy ass holes!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 3, 2010 12:55

Those critics are boring, the shirts in 89/90 were wgreat, but this promotion clip
with Mick was bad. Norman is making a fool out of himself.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: May 3, 2010 15:49

Well I thought that doc was fine really. Of course it set out to ruffle a few feathers and why not?
While it was plain stupid to take issue with performing Under My Thumb the points about Van and Lou were well made. How many times have we looked to the likes of Van, Lou, Neil Young etc and wished the Stones would take on a little bit of their integrity?
Sean O'Hagan gave Exile a great review recently so you can't say he ain't a Stones fan. And like it or not, he's not alone in taking a pop at the band for selling out. That footgage of Mick's "marketing chat" speaks volumes.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 3, 2010 16:07

I think the only true critics are the fans themselves ya soon know if ya any good or not by their reaction.And that applies to alot of things if ya arent doing the right thing peoples actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 3, 2010 21:26

still ill
Gazza
Edith Grove

Sean O'Hagan

Hypocritical wánker..

Nail on head.

Just to add for anybody that doesn't know that J'accuse was a series where each week a cultural institution was knocked down in the name of trendy entertainment,and was probably watched by about 374 people.

yeah. And about 372 of them were idiots like me who only watched it because we were Stones completists who felt the need to record everything, no matter how shite it was.

Posted by: likarollinstone ()
Date: May 3, 2010 22:28

"How could they possibly need money from a beer company".

The conclusion I came to after watching this video: It seems that this programme is about Mother Teresa, not the Stones. At least the moral standard they apply to them is quite close to absolute holiness.

i think it's great to know that even in 89 they were in a position to milk beer companies for sponsorship money.

They stones released 3 studio albums during the last 20 years and I'm glad to know that they would rather make money touring and selling "merch" than forcing me into buying shitty studio albums, which, unlike t shirts, are a must have for every fan.

I think there is a rule in music industry, either you make money off your own name, or somebody else does. They are not that stupid.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 22:36 by likarollinstone.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 3, 2010 23:05

This is turning out to be one of the best threads that I've read on here for yonks!!

Good stuff man, keep it up. all the comments are fantastic! some great points being made

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 3, 2010 23:32

Gazza
still ill
Gazza
Edith Grove

Sean O'Hagan

Hypocritical wánker..

Nail on head.

yeah. And about 372 of them were idiots like me who only watched it because we were Stones completists who felt the need to record everything, no matter how shite it was.

And me!

Anyway,i cant completely knock early Channel 4,it did after all give us the red triangle

Date: May 4, 2010 11:29

bv please,may you add NorthShoreBlues thread
[www.iorr.org]
to this one and change my title please ?
there are interesting comments on both threads and it's getting hard to post on both winking smiley
Many thanks .
Sway!

Critical View of the Stones losing their magic
Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: May 3, 2010 05:41

swaystones; this is from your post; 1st and 2nd part of the documentary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 05:43 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Re: Critical View of the Stones losing their magic
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 3, 2010 09:59

This is all subjective and the same old stuff that is repeated by critics over and over again. Why bother?
At the end of the day the only thing that matters is if you find joy still with them. Most people on this board do, and look forward to hearing what they have to offer next. I know I do...

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: May 3, 2010 10:39

whitem8
This is all subjective and the same old stuff that is repeated by critics over and over again. Why bother?
At the end of the day the only thing that matters is if you find joy still with them. Most people on this board do, and look forward to hearing what they have to offer next. I know I do...

absolutely!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 3, 2010 14:55

that was from 1990 and 20yrs later they're still going strong

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 3, 2010 16:33

Time waits for no one................ Mcartney is still good, very good, but there will be no more band on the run; Sprinsteen is still great, but born to run is very far away and new recordings are nice, but ne sure no one will reach that musical level; Dylas is still on the road making good new stuff, but there will be no new Blood on the tracks ; ..............and so on........... I know there is people waiting for a new EOMS, but they do not realize how lucky they are to have an original EOMS among others great albums by the Rolling Stones and other artists............. I'm still waiting for a new Machine Head, but Blackmore is not going to play rock anymore, but i am happy because the original Machine head exists and because i still enjoy hearing it (as well as hearing new Blackmore classical music)

be happy and enjoy what you have already got, the best years of R&R that never will be back again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 3, 2010 16:39

KeithNacho
Time waits for no one................ Mcartney is still good, very good, but there will be no more band on the run; Sprinsteen is still great, but born to run is very far away and new recordings are nice, but ne sure no one will reach that musical level; Dylas is still on the road making good new stuff, but there will be no new Blood on the tracks ; ..............and so on........... I know there is people waiting for a new EOMS, but they do not realize how lucky they are to have an original EOMS among others great albums by the Rolling Stones and other artists............. I'm still waiting for a new Machine Head, but Blackmore is not going to play rock anymore, but i am happy because the original Machine head exists and because i still enjoy hearing it (as well as hearing new Blackmore classical music) AMEN..Well Said

be happy and enjoy what you have already got, the best years of R&R that never will be back again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 3, 2010 16:42

Im pretty sure The Stones have got a few more tricks up their sleeve yet.smoking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home