Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Where are they now - Jim Horn
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 28, 2008 06:15

Strangely, the Stones get no mention in his bio

[www.jimhorn.com]

Re: Where are they now - Jim Horn
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 28, 2008 06:31

Thanks for posting this. I haven't seen Jim in a long time but knew him in his LA days; one of the nicest guys ever.

Date: August 28, 2008 06:34

No problem--I always enjoyed his playing--i thought I'd track down a few of the old Stones crew for the amazing gang here.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 28, 2008 09:09

It's been a few years since this official website of sax player Jim Horn has last been updated, I guess. Most of the solo albums that are on offer there, seem to be out of print at this point in time already. He's my favourite sax player, so thanks for bringing up this topic to discuss his work. I don't know his 70s solo albums, but if there is one of his solo albums that I can recommend without 2nd guessing, it would be his 2nd Warner Bros album, "Work It Out", from 1990. It's got it all, the rock, the jazz and the Memphis sound.
I'd love to hear him record another rock/Memphis sound instrumental album which focussing pretty much on tenor sax and baritone sax, with occasional flute splashes, and great, soulful guest guitarists.
He's living in Nashville now, doing session work, as far as I know. I hope he's doing alright. The most recent recordings that I've heard him play on were "All the Roadrunning" by Emmylou Harris and Mark Knopfler, where his contribution was almost lost in the mix on the final track, and "Mirror" by the former Eagles guitarist and mandolinist Bernie Leadon, where he's also just on one track.

I'd appreciate it very much if you could name some recordings by other artists from the 2000s, on which his sax playing is featured more prominently. Thanks.

Date: August 28, 2008 09:18

Bill--he is certainly accomplished, I just found the exclusion of his time with the Stones in his bio to be odd

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 28, 2008 23:56

did he also play the flute solo on 'California Dreamin' by the Mamas and the Papas?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 29, 2008 00:00

one of the horniest guys in the biz. any relationship to joe horn?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home