Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is It Time For The Winos?
Date: August 20, 2008 18:43

Not long ago I saw a recent clip of Chuck Berry live. He can still sing AND play guitar as good as anyone half his age in my opinion. My question is why has Keith lost his touch in doing so. He can still rock on the songs Mick sings but can't pull it off on his own anymore. Anyone who denies this is fooling themselves and they know it. It truly saddens me cause up till the past few tours, I've always looked forward to the two songs Keith plays more so than any other part of the show. Not so anymore, most of the time he doesn't even touch his guitar. Anyone else notice this and are as disappointed and or confused as to why?

Re: Is It Time For The Winos?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 20, 2008 18:49

knockyourteethout
Not long ago I saw a recent clip of Chuck Berry live. He can still sing AND play guitar as good as anyone half his age in my opinion. My question is why has Keith lost his touch in doing so. He can still rock on the songs Mick sings but can't pull it off on his own anymore. Anyone who denies this is fooling themselves and they know it. It truly saddens me cause up till the past few tours, I've always looked forward to the two songs Keith plays more so than any other part of the show. Not so anymore, most of the time he doesn't even touch his guitar. Anyone else notice this and are as disappointed and or confused as to why?

Hold yer horses. I seem to remember Keith doing a very good Before They Make Me Run in Horsens. Why is it that if people don't think what you think, they're fooling themselves? Would that be a bullshit statement??? I think so.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 20, 2008 19:02

Sorry didn't see Horsens but on Biggest Bang he barely plucked a note. As a true lifelong Stones fan I just felt this was something that needed to be addressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 19:13 by knockyourteethout.

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 20, 2008 19:04

It would be great during his 2 songs he kept his hands on his guitar the whole time
For two contrasts look at Little Tan A on LSTNT an Hampton 81 and then look at it on
SAL an the Biggest Bang.In my mind I hope it's just a decline in playing then just being lazy.PS on that I'm Ready clip Keith is singing and you see he keeps voicing the chords while he is playing like is he conflicted to either sing or play guitar.Keith is really I hate say my only red flag over the Stones,but I pray he shuts everyone up including me on the next tour and step back to the plate.Winos would need another guitar player added for live shows at this point.Also does Keith know the chords to She Was Hot,She's so Cold or Little T an A.
Come On Keith,more practice so You can shut everyone up.

Coming Down Again

Date: August 20, 2008 19:09

Look closely as to how often he needs the prompter nowadays too, bet old Chuck to this day doesn't even know what one is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 19:10 by knockyourteethout.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 20, 2008 19:22

knockyourteethout
Not long ago I saw a recent clip of Chuck Berry live. He can still sing AND play guitar as good as anyone half his age in my opinion.

Yes indeed... cool smiley

Keith seems to play guitar more like B.B. King than Chuck Berry these days (what I mean is B.B. King has never really sang & played guitar at the same time).

One thing that's rarely mentioned is just how well Chuck's voice has held up. If only he'd get back into the studio..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 19:24 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: August 20, 2008 19:29

who cares as long as Keith still rocks live! i think he always had problem playing and singing at the same time anyway. Look at happy in 72---Thank god for jagger helping out at when keith didn't return to the mike.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 20, 2008 19:35

Why do you ask "Is it time for the Winos?" If you think Keith can't play, then why in the heck would you want to see the Winos? Am I missing something here?

Date: August 20, 2008 19:36

Lukester
Why do you ask "Is it time for the Winos?" If you think Keith can't play, then why in the heck would you want to see the Winos? Am I missing something here?

This confused me too.

Date: August 20, 2008 19:39

Lukester

I am only hoping they can give Keith a shot in the arm (pun intended) like I feel they did back when and make him feel more pressure by fronting the band to actually sing AND play, that's all.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 20, 2008 19:46

I'm sure Keith devastated by your opinion and desperately needs a shot in the arm from the Wino's.

Posted by: drumnyc ()
Date: August 20, 2008 20:15

sorry..........Keith is done

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 20, 2008 20:16

drumnyc

No. YOU ARE!!!! Ban this man.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 20, 2008 20:18

He's a wind up merchant looking for attention!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2008 20:25

>> (what I mean is B.B. King has never really sang & played guitar at the same time) <<

Keith never "really has" either. i don't know what people think they used to see/hear him do on stage,
because he's *always* alternated between singing and playing. sometimes he does some simple strumming while he sings,
and that's always been the most he's done while singing. and he and BB King are real far from the only guitarist/singers who do that -
Chuck Berry definitely does it a lot too, and there's nothing (0) wrong with it.

and sure, a Winos reunion would be brilliant - if everyone's up for it between Stones tours, bring it on!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 22:49 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 20, 2008 20:30

Bring on the Winehouse. Oh, sorry, my eyes aren't so good tonight - I thought you meant her ladyship. Yeah, bring on the Winos anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 20:32 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 20, 2008 20:30

there will be no winos before it's time...and it never will be. kind of a paul masson/duke ellington thing....

Posted by: Spanish Kurt ()
Date: August 20, 2008 20:32

As Keith himself said: There is nothing I could do outside The Stones that I could not do within The Stones (or something like that). So I don't think it will bring us anything good to reunite the Wino's.

And on a personal note: I never really liked the Wino's at all. Gimme The Stones!

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 20, 2008 21:47

im sorry to compare chuck berry and keith richards is ridiculous- i saw chuck play at the virgin fest earlier this month - he could bearly remember that he had a guitar strapped on let alone the words to any of his songs - and he only played about 20 minutes.

lets put things in perspective a little bit.

OLDKR

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 20, 2008 21:54

I still don't get the title of this thread

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: August 20, 2008 21:56

JumpingKentFlash
drumnyc

No. YOU ARE!!!! Ban this man.

Vladimir Putin....shouldn't you be concerning yourself with Georgia?

Date: August 20, 2008 21:57

oldkr
im sorry to compare chuck berry and keith richards is ridiculous- i saw chuck play at the virgin fest earlier this month - he could bearly remember that he had a guitar strapped on let alone the words to any of his songs - and he only played about 20 minutes.

lets put things in perspective a little bit.

OLDKR

Chuck Berry's shows are very variable, & we can't judge him by just one show. I mentioned in another thread earlier that the worst show I've ever seen by Chuck was a London show from 28 years ago, yet I've heard audios from within the last 2 or 3 years & he's playing & singing solidly throughout the 1 hour-plus show.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 20, 2008 22:22

winos blow, bring back the new barbarians.

Date: August 20, 2008 23:57

with sssoul
>> (what I mean is B.B. King has never really sang & played guitar at the same time) <<

Keith never "really has" either. i don't know what people think they used to see/hear him do on stage,
because he's *always* alternated between singing and playing.

Watch T&A from LSTNT and then watch BB version, watch Connection from Winos then watch SAL version then ask yourself the question again.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 21, 2008 00:20

ask myself what question - whether it's "time for" the Winos?? as i've already noted, bring 'em on!
and i already said i know Keith sometimes chords and sings at the same time.
so what if he takes his hands off the guitar more now, and addresses the mic more forthrightly?
that's one instrument up there, called Keith Richards. and music comes out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-21 00:52 by with sssoul.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 21, 2008 00:37

Amen with sssoul.

Stones, Wino's either works for me.

I would probably pay to go see him stand up there and do underarm farts for two hours AND I'D BE THRILLED FOR THE OPPORTUNITY!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 21, 2008 00:42

CindyC
I would probably pay to go see him stand up there and do underarm farts for two hours AND I'D BE THRILLED FOR THE OPPORTUNITY!

yeah but I'm told he doesn't do the underarm farts and sing at the same time......and who can blame him?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 21, 2008 00:45

Lukester
yeah but I'm told he doesn't do the underarm farts and sing at the same time......and who can blame him?

Oh that's a shame - he really is beyond hope. Mick Taylor could always out-fart Ronnie Wood. You can't beat Mick Taylor at farting, especially during the '72/'73 era when he was in his prime.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 21, 2008 01:24

I believe that after he hurt his head in april 2006, his on stage performances were not the same which is understandable. Hopefully for the next tour (2009), keith will be back in very good shape and will rock hard.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 21, 2008 05:48

To you Wino's detractors, how many shows did you ever go see them play? To say this was not a tight band is ludicrous. I saw these guys many times and they were always terrific. Would they be as good now as they were in the late 80's early 90's? I doubt it unless Keith gets really motivated. I just don't see him fronting a band like that these days. The next tour will say quite a bit about what Keith has left. I also agree that the head injury really set him back in 06, but I am hoping he comes back strong on the next go around.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home