Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
SAL - finally saw it, finally 'get it'
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 7, 2008 21:29

It really took seeing the DVD in the right frame of mind.
I bought it and brought it home. The wife and her sister were working late, so after some hot wings and sticky bud, I pop it in, expecting rapid-fast Biggest Bang-type visuals layered on the album audio (which I bought the first day it was out).

The album didn't impress me much.

This movie almost had me in tears of Stones joy.

Here's some knee-herk thoughts..
WHY THE #$%& were those supplemental scenes cut????
THE FOUR OF THEM JAMMING ACOUSTICALLY!!!! THEY COULD ACTUALLY DO WHAT I'VE BEEN NAY-SAYING FOR YEARS!!!!!
Christina got a lot of hate for being in this project. I think she's a lovely young lady who sings well and looks quite nice.
Buddy Guy - I met him in 1999 - he stands now as the heir apparent King of The Blues. WOW!
The long shots were great, the arrangements make more sense when watching them perform for some reason.
Keith is a lovable scruff of a pirate who does have some good moments on his gitter.
I LOVE the cuts to older footage, whether I'd seen it or not.
This really, honestly does blow Biggest Bang out of the water for me.
I know this sounds daft, but they could tour behind this film in a way by expanding on the paired-down intimate segments even more.

All in all, my expectaions were fantastically exceeded by a long shot. Short web-clips and tv ads did this piece of art NO justice, and to be honest, neither did the album. I won't be cranking the CDs regularily anytime soon, but this DVD will be at every party we have for the rest of the year!

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 21:37 by jamesfdouglas.

Re: SAL - finally saw it, finally 'get it'
Posted by: robertfraser ()
Date: August 7, 2008 21:34

great stuff James, i agree ace film.

i love hearing stories like this. it's great to feel that excitment
again; like you felt the first time you heard the stones.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 7, 2008 21:36

Good grief - what took you so long?!

Only kidding... It's great to read such a "fresh" review. Especially knee-jerk thoughts that get it right :-)

Date: August 7, 2008 21:43

Thanks! The wife and sis are away tonight as well.
Guess what I'm watching again???
smoking smiley

It made me so happy that the film was so good.
I'd put it off because I was afraid of being disappointed.
So many 2006/2007 boots I've heard and Biggest Bang were a turn-off for me.
But... this movie... it's like everything I'd been complaining about of wishing they would do/change... WAS DONE AND CHANGED!!!

I owe David (the other 'Keith-worshipping' Powergoat) a big apology for being a doubter.

If they tour again and base it on this type of show (incl. the cut stuff) they would smack every other nay-sayer in the teeth with this beautiful, heartfelt music (I can't believe I'm actully typing this, but I'm being sincere).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: August 8, 2008 00:17

I was deeply impressed with it! I knew Martin would do a Great job on it. Once again, he has captured Rock and Roll greats at their best for all of us and generations to come! I LOVED IT! I just wish there was more of it!
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 8, 2008 00:29

Between SAL and the Saitama vid, you get a good idea of why the Stones are still the greatest rock n roll band in the world, naysayers be damned.

It has become weirdly fashionable for folks on this forum to criticize the 21st century Stones. Just wait...within two or three posts of this one, they will come crawling out of the woodwork, delivering the same old bashings that were repeated ad nausaeum during the last few years.

Good on you, James. You DO get it.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 8, 2008 00:48

Well I went to the theatre to see this all by myself and I DID cry! Felt foolish but hey, it was dark! For some reason, the energy and the feeling that I was on the stage with them got to me....plus oh, so many of my own memories came rushing back. It brought me back to the 70's, especially " Brown Sugar"....woo, woo, woo yeah!" Glad you joined the ranks of joyful fans who can still enjoy the Stones that much!

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: August 8, 2008 01:06

There are some incredible moments in this film. Am I the only one who was impressed by how *much* guitar Keith played in "As Tears Go By"? Made me think he should sit down to play electric, if he's going to play like that.

All in all, a great show. They can still do it when they want to (Saitama, Beacon, Austin...)

Date: August 8, 2008 01:49

Absolutely right, they CAN play brilliantly! Keith playing that acoustic song in the extras was awesome! What WAS that song? Did not sound like a Stones tune. And how about Wild Horses without singing?? And Ronnie on " You Got The Silver". DAMN! Great stuff!

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: August 8, 2008 01:53

i like Champaign & Reefer where keef spits out his cigarette. an instant classic. great dvd!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 8, 2008 02:09

Sometimes things 'get' you in their own time...I thought both KR & RW had some great moments, and that the RS after all these decades continue to amaze me (& sometimes frustrate me).

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: August 8, 2008 02:17

I want some of that sticky bud!

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: August 8, 2008 03:01

Just watched it the first time last night.

Positives....great set list, guests were good too. A few songs were awesome. Is a joy just watching the boys play. Keith sang great. Mick a machine. Ronnie was great but couldn't hear him much of the time. Could really appriciate Ronnie in the bonus footage.

Negatives....camera editing a bit distracting.....audio mix horrible...do I need the instument louder when the camera is on it? Who's brain child was that mess?
That same Keith chuck riff in almost every song..ouch! Dual guitar attack non-existent.

Only 2 song I considered a mess, rest was great... my kids could not believe they can do that at their age..especially Mick.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 8, 2008 03:12

Dude you are so right - sometimes it takes a little sticky bud to clarify momentous issues, no?

1. Who wouldn't want to live with Christina A?... for a little while anyway, huh? Come on now baby...

2. Slightly disagree re ABB. Many good songs there, imo.

Peace.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 8, 2008 03:17

1 more thing: Mixchix: Hey it's ok to cry, if great art makes you cry, it just means you feel great art.

(this wine is good, wish i had some sb, but wtf the wine will do ... )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-08 03:23 by Natlanta.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: August 8, 2008 03:28

jamesfdouglas
Thanks! The wife and sis are away tonight as well.
Guess what I'm watching again???
smoking smiley

It made me so happy that the film was so good.
I'd put it off because I was afraid of being disappointed.
So many 2006/2007 boots I've heard and Biggest Bang were a turn-off for me.
But... this movie... it's like everything I'd been complaining about of wishing they would do/change... WAS DONE AND CHANGED!!!

I owe David (the other 'Keith-worshipping' Powergoat) a big apology for being a doubter.

If they tour again and base it on this type of show (incl. the cut stuff) they would smack every other nay-sayer in the teeth with this beautiful, heartfelt music (I can't believe I'm actully typing this, but I'm being sincere).

You don't get the impression that the wife and sister are up to something do you, after all they do seem to be making a regular habit of staying out late. Next time, perhaps you might want to discretely follow them and see who they're meeting up with. These are the classic signs of deception/adultery in marriage.

You have been warned.

Date: August 8, 2008 03:41

ERC6761...

I said sticky bud, not bad acid!
smoking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 8, 2008 04:02

...is your sister married?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 8, 2008 04:04

Edited...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-11 14:20 by stone-relics.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 8, 2008 04:53

Are you kidding? If the first 4 songs don't get you pumped and ready to rock, you must find another band.

jjflash73

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 8, 2008 05:00

very good flick, but you are over rating it just a bit

Date: August 8, 2008 06:12

stone-relics
What did you get? The movie is a travesty...its freaking horrible...did you ever see Gimme Shelter...Scorsese should be ceremoniously stripped of his Oscar, which he never deserved anyway....I think Rolin Binzer should be given an Oscar for L & G, as this piece of shit, aint worth watching more than once.

JR

He obviously doesn't 'get it'.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 8, 2008 14:15

jamesfdouglas
stone-relics
What did you get? The movie is a travesty...its freaking horrible...did you ever see Gimme Shelter...Scorsese should be ceremoniously stripped of his Oscar, which he never deserved anyway....I think Rolin Binzer should be given an Oscar for L & G, as this piece of shit, aint worth watching more than once.

JR

He obviously doesn't 'get it'.

As a Stonesconcertregistration it's wonderful. As a 'movie' it's nothing special in terms of Oscar worthiness. Scorsese's little subplot is a travesty indeed, but the music's great.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: August 8, 2008 14:22

stone-relics

JR

I concur.

Date: August 8, 2008 15:23

Yes, James, a few people really did NOT " get it" at all, their lose. I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion but to not enjoy at least part of this film must mean you really don't enjoy the Stones all that much.

Date: August 8, 2008 19:17

I'm going to have to agree, mickschix.

This film is everything that the so many modern DVDs of them aren't.
I don't ever need to see another screen-fed stadium lightning-cut mess
that we've been getting since Voodoo Lounge.

I love how this film focuses on THE STONES rather than their army of b/u players. This film is a genuine piece of art. It's crafted for the screen and is how the modern version of the band should be shown today. The lighting and lingering shots are just long enough to 'take it in'.

Overrated? Not from where I'm sitting, and I'd traditionally be first in line picking it apart. Nope - I love this film, and what it's done for my fandom of their present incarnation. I pray that they carry on this way of doing things for their next album and tour.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: August 9, 2008 20:14

OK, I'm watching it again, sound cranked up. During "Shattered", Mick's pointing and arms waving reminds me of a crazed orchestral conductor. It makes me smile as the man demonstrates his complete control of the situation.

Then, there's the closeup of Charlie at the end of "All Down the Line". He puffs up and raises his eyebrows, as if saying "Yeah, THAT was a workout!" Beautiful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-09 20:32 by bassplayer617.

Date: August 9, 2008 20:41

Markdog

Negatives....camera editing a bit distracting.....audio mix horrible...do I need the instument louder when the camera is on it? Who's brain child was that mess?
That same Keith chuck riff in almost every song..ouch! Dual guitar attack non-existent.

I can't agree more about the mix. It's the worst. It's turns a great movie into a good one. Sometimes Keith's guitar is there, other times it's completely missing. If I'm watching a concert movie, I'd like concert sound. Loud and in your face. I think the Palais Royale, Toronto 2002, is one of the most astounding visual Stones documents ever to pop up. Great raw, loud sound. I keep watching this thing over and over again.

Scotty

Date: August 9, 2008 21:06

Scotty, it ISN'T a "conventional" concert film, OK? For the "in your face" sound, you have the soundtrack CD. Yeah, the movie mix is different, but wouldn't you feel ripped off if both documents mirrored each other? They are companion pieces.

Date: August 9, 2008 21:26

Note that after Buddy Guy's masterful performance, the energy level raised a notch. Ronnie played a great solo on "Tumbling Dice", and it only got better. Also note that there IS a "Faces" moment, when Ron becomes the sole guitarist on "You Got the Silver". Ron's playing was outstanding all night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-09 21:41 by bassplayer617.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home