Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Record shops in London
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 12, 2008 23:32

I'll be visiting London probably later this month and I wonder if you could recommend me some good record stores over there. I'm interested both in huge centers with a lot of cheap CDs (GBP is so cheap these days spinning smiley sticking its tongue out thumbs up ) as well as small shops where you could find some rarities and second hand bootlegs. I would be extremely grateful for any recommended location.
Cheers!

Re: OT: Record shops in London
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: August 13, 2008 00:13

I was in London a month ago and bought lots of cool Stones stuff. Check out Portobello Road, Notting Hill Gate and Camden. Camden especially on saturdays and sundays. Otherwise I thought the HMV shop at Piccadelly Circua had lots of great stuff rather cheap.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 13, 2008 00:18

For bootlegs and rarer stuff try Camden Lock market. If you like psychedelia then you've got to visit Bill Allerton and Bill Forsyth's amazing Stand Out/No Limit shop in Blenheim Crescent. Some truly amazing stuff on both CD and vinyl. A great road with a lot of music shops is Berwick Street in Soho - there's at least 3 or 4 cool places there. For rare soul/reggae/groove and jazz try Sounds of The Universe.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-13 00:51 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 13, 2008 00:48

Like all cities Record Shopping has gone seriously down hill. I really struggle to spend money in London or NYC anymore.

There are a few places in Notting Hill, Music and Video Exchange, Intoxica, Stand Out/ No Limit (mentioned above).

Berwick street (famous for being featured on the front of Oasis "(What's the story) Morning Glory") has a few others including Select-a-disc (which Mick went in a few years back) and Reckless. Sister Ray was recently lost to a dance shop.

Hanway street (behind the Virgin Megastore at Centre point) features On The Beat and another store I don't recall the name of.

If you are in the area, the movie poster art gallery on Colville Place (www.mpag.com) usually has some great Stones posters.

If you are into collecting Plexi may also recommend a visit to my place. Collecting is my passion and I have boxes and boxes of duplicate stuff to trade or sell.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 13, 2008 00:50

All the places mentioned, check out SOULJAZZ when in soho. but try and get over to brick lane and check out the new Rough Trade shop. worth going over that way anyway cool place for shops and bars even if a wee bit trendy in that chic bohemian way,

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 13, 2008 03:56

Silver Dagger
For bootlegs and rarer stuff try Camden Lock market.

Ask for Dave the West Ham fan!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 13, 2008 10:08

Dave's a dude and always has a good stock

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 13, 2008 10:31

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'll try to check as many as possible.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 13, 2008 11:45

Dave? Dave? Dave's not there man! You can also try Jem but he tends to be a bit pricey. And beware of the notorious guy who charges up to £20 each for DVDrs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-13 11:47 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 13, 2008 12:40

The Electric Ballroom in Camden has record fairs from time to time. They're usually quite good.

There are plenty of great little independent record shops scattered around the smoke, yet I still believe you can't go wrong with HMV's flagship store on Oxford Street. Corporate it may be, yet it's fuc*in huge (spread over 3 large floors) and actually, has a pretty decent vinyl selection - if that's your thing.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: August 13, 2008 14:28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home