Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Final Days Of The Police Reunion Tour
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 3, 2008 19:01

Three shows in New York this week and their 15-month reunion tour will be all over. They appear to be serious when they say their show this Thursday at Madison Square Garden, to benefit New York's two public television stations, will be the last concert they play anywhere in the world, ever.

Any final thoughts?

Re: OT: The Final Days Of The Police Reunion Tour
Date: August 3, 2008 19:03

Thank god for that!!!

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 3, 2008 19:03

Thank goodness. If any "reunion" tour had overstayed its welcome, it was The Police.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 3, 2008 19:05

They played within walking distance of my flat, still, I had no desire to go.
Wish I had made the same decision when Van Halen came to my town.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 3, 2008 19:34

>>Any final thoughts?<<

yeah!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 3, 2008 19:38

DAMN BIKERS !!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 3, 2008 20:52

tatters
Three shows in New York this week and their 15-month reunion tour will be all over. They appear to be serious when they say their show this Thursday at Madison Square Garden, to benefit New York's two public television stations, will be the last concert they play anywhere in the world, ever.

Any final thoughts?

Heard mixed reports about the tour. Some said it was great how it was just the three of them and no extra musicians, but that none of them seemed remotely hungry any more, that they were going through the motions.

I guess this does draw a line in the sand as far as The Police are concerned. Sting can make another lute album.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 3, 2008 20:56

tatters

Any final thoughts?

Good riddance to bad rubbish

In their day they were a decent enough band, but the whole idea behind the tour in the first place was like a bad joke.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 3, 2008 21:00

if there's something that make the stones rule is that they avoided this kind of jokes, up until now at least

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 3, 2008 21:00

i wouldn't say the tour was rubbish Gazza.
not the show (Twickenham '07) i saw, anyway.

Workmanlike, preofessional, but yes....little flair, excitement or sponteneity.

I'm glad i saw them, but it's not on my 'top 10 concerts of all time', type thing.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 3, 2008 21:06

I'm no Police fan but why are we IORRians so obsessed with bashing them? If they brought some people joy and earned a few bucks good for them.

Oh then again, I forgot some of us are obsessed with bashing The Stones when they tour too. Diversity, that's the key! tongue sticking out smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 3, 2008 21:12

nothing against Police, which I like
all against the "reunion" shows/tours/records

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 3, 2008 23:53

They played for 95 minutes here in Pittsburgh last week.

That is why I decided not to go. Thanks to the internet you can read reviews, opionions, etc. I was an educated consumer and made a judgement call.

The cost of 2 good seats would have cost me around $475.00, I rather spend that on two round trip plane tickets. I do not do lawn seating even if it were free. Not into sitting on spilled beer, spit and tobacco.

I do not think this will be their last harrah. Sting's lifestyle is too expensive and his solo tours do not draw like they did 15+ years ago.

Date: August 4, 2008 00:03

Nikolai
tatters

Any final thoughts?

Heard mixed reports about the tour. Some said it was great how it was just the three of them and no extra musicians, but that none of them seemed remotely hungry any more, that they were going through the motions.

I guess this does draw a line in the sand as far as The Police are concerned. Sting can make another lute album.

I saw them twice on this tour. Second time was just last weekend. They could have used an extra musician or two. I definitely missed the keyboards on Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic. It just sounded wrong without it.

There were quite a few things about this tour that bothered me, mostly having to do with how much it felt like being in a museum and entering a room with a big sign over the door saying "Sting: The early years (1979-1983)". Not one new song. Not even a Policed-up version of a Sting solo hit. Absolutely no effort on their part to create even the ILLUSION that they are a living, breathing, ongoing artistically creative concern. Even the merchanside .... every photo on every T-shirt was taken in 1979. I've never seen anything like that before. It was weird.

Date: August 4, 2008 00:06

Maybe Andy and Stewart read the fine print on their contract and found out they are only making $800.00 a week ? Resulting in a lack luster performance???

Date: August 4, 2008 00:14

trainarollin
They played for 95 minutes here in Pittsburgh last week.

That is why I decided not to go. Thanks to the internet you can read reviews, opionions, etc. I was an educated consumer and made a judgement call.

The cost of 2 good seats would have cost me around $475.00, I rather spend that on two round trip plane tickets. I do not do lawn seating even if it were free. Not into sitting on spilled beer, spit and tobacco.

I do not think this will be their last harrah. Sting's lifestyle is too expensive and his solo tours do not draw like they did 15+ years ago.

I WAS on the lawn in Detroit last Saturday. Tickets were $54.00 each. For LAWN seating. But I looked at it this way. It's half of what we paid last summer for nosebleed seats in an arena, We're probably closer to the stage, even way up on the top of the hill, than we were last year, and, as an added bonus, we get Elvis Costello as an opening act. Like you, I was an educated consumer, I just made a different call.

Date: August 4, 2008 00:21

trainarollin
Maybe Andy and Stewart read the fine print on their contract and found out they are only making $800.00 a week ? Resulting in a lack luster performance???

At this point, having done 150 shows with almost identical setlists, they're probably just bored. But even last summer, when I saw them near the beginnig of the tour, they showed a surprising lack of energy. Even the "Next To You" encore, in which they presumably wanted to give us a little glimpse of their "punk" beginnings, was performed without any fire whatsoever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-04 00:24 by tatters.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 4, 2008 00:50

Adrian-L
i wouldn't say the tour was rubbish Gazza.
not the show (Twickenham '07) i saw, anyway.

Workmanlike, preofessional, but yes....little flair, excitement or sponteneity.

I'm glad i saw them, but it's not on my 'top 10 concerts of all time', type thing.

I've no doubt that the concert would have been quite enjoyable for those who attended. I'm not bashing their ability to put on a good show - just the whole idea behind the tour. Like Tatters says above - a museum. I'd feel the same if the Stones had split in 1984 and then got back together for a reunion tour in 2007-2008.

Would have liked to have seen them when they were actually making new records. Also saw Sting when he played here in 1986 (a certain Darryl Jones was his bassist) and it was absolutely brilliant. This venture just didnt interest me in the slightest. Was even offered a free ticket for their Stormont show a few weeks ago, and passed on it.

Date: August 4, 2008 03:10

Van Halen got even more boring, they did an entire tour without a single setlist change. Eddie had as much enthusiasm as Don Henley towards the last month of the tour. Even started dressing like Don.

Will be interesting to see if there is a Van Halenn $7.99 Concert DVD Wal Mart exclusive that is being rumored?

I think in The Police's mindset was that they have nothing to prove and they are being paid in full no matter how many people showed up.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 4, 2008 06:30

tatters
trainarollin
. Even the "Next To You" encore, in which they presumably wanted to give us a little glimpse of their "punk" beginnings, was performed without any fire whatsoever.

Funny you mention that one. Supergrass encored with a cover of "Next To You" last week in NYC and it was a great, raving, balls-out way to end the show.

I love the first two Police albums - too bad the reunion seemed to be so sterile.

Date: August 8, 2008 16:32

Here's how the BBC reported on the final show last night at MSG. Interesting that they covered Cream and Hendrix because at their best, when Sting isn't singing and they're jamming along on the instrumental portion of something like "Driven To Tears", they sounded like a real good power trio.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-08 16:34 by tatters.

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 8, 2008 18:52

trainarollin
Van Halen got even more boring, they did an entire tour without a single setlist change. Eddie had as much enthusiasm as Don Henley towards the last month of the tour. Even started dressing like Don.

Will be interesting to see if there is a Van Halenn $7.99 Concert DVD Wal Mart exclusive that is being rumored?

The Police played my town (Grand Rapids, MI) this past May and STIFFED. Less than 8,000 fans showed up in a building big enough for 12,000. Of course it didn't help that they played near Detroit last summer and then turned around and announced "their final Michigan appearance," again near Detroit, for this past July. They put the July Detroit show on sale BEFORE announcing the appearance here last May which meant everybody in my town either saw them last summer (as did I) or were duped into buying tix for the "final appearance."

Van Halen finished their tour here and, contrary to the poster above, could not have been more energetic and exciting. Eddie grinned ear-to-ear the entire night and was absolutely brilliant throughout. Wolf had learned to sing harmony (compared to the dismal videos I'd seen) and Dave couldn't have been more gay if he was dressed as Liza Minelli. A hoot was had by all.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 8, 2008 18:59

so the police and van halen are done with there lets collect the money tours, ha ,i knew thats what it was all about, now neither one of them will ever be heard from again, what a joke

Date: August 8, 2008 21:48

The review from the final show sounded a lot better than the other shows, they even did a couple covers.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 8, 2008 22:00

Whew!

You guys make for a very tough room. Then again, I did not see the Police during the tour.

CBII

Posted by: maine road ()
Date: August 8, 2008 23:22

I am one of those possibly rare people who like the Stones and the Police (my preference being the Stones) I went to see the Polcie in Manchester and without gimmicks and backing muscians they were excellent in front of a full house.

I have read as many reviews as posible of the Police tour and the vast majority have been positive and the tour is possibly the third biggest grossing ever which doesn't mean the music was good but does show there was a demand to see the band

I fail to see why they should be criticised for a reunion tour. Like the Stones it wasn't cheap to see the Police and like the Stones the Police weren't interest n playing anything that wasn' first recorded over 25 years ago. The only difference is that the Stones tour more reguarly that the Police.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 9, 2008 01:10

tatters

Any final thoughts?

Yeah, glad I saw them ... but that's about it. OK boys, you can let it rest now, once was quite enough thank you very much. Bring on an EXCITING band if you don't mind, cos whatever the Police are ... they just ain't EXCITING !!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 10, 2008 05:29

............................Goodbye...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: August 10, 2008 10:44

Funny that Rolling Stones fans do critize The Police for not playing any new songs;-)

In contrast to the Stones they don't have any new songs!

Posted by: bartfrombrussels ()
Date: August 12, 2008 02:35

There is a GOD!

bartfrombrussels
Senior Food Critic IORR

?Remember Vilvoorde?
94 concerts & counting

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home