Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Virgin Records Collector's Edition: B&B...
Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: July 22, 2008 13:59

Hello, y'all-

I want to check with you: the series of Virgin Records digitally remastered Collector's Edition (I guess: 1994?), with the CD's in original album packaging, ran from 'Sticky Fingers' to 'Tattoo You' (without including 'Love you Live'), right?

Can anyone get me the EAN-code for the 'Black and Blue' edition?
It's the only one I don't seem to have...

(Or if anyone has a spare for sale: please contact me directly at [email protected])

Cheerz everyone-
enjoy your summer!

Re: Virgin Records Collector's Edition: B&B...
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 22, 2008 14:14

Black & Blue

7243-8-39499-2-2

ROCKMAN

Posted by: django ()
Date: July 22, 2008 14:17

Filip,

This is the only number I can find on the CD and sleeve:

72438-39499-2-2

It is different from the other CD's of the Virgin Collectors Edition so I guess it is the EAN-code you are looking for.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: July 22, 2008 14:29

Thanx a million...

Rockin' regards-

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 22, 2008 17:45

Is that the issues that have the US flag on them? What is the point in getting those anyway? The CDs are the same.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 22, 2008 21:14

skipstone
Is that the issues that have the US flag on them? What is the point in getting those anyway? The CDs are the same.

no..i think he's referring to the limited edition cd re-issues that
were packaged like the original record albums...for example...the
Sticky Fingers cd package featured an actual zipper and the same artwork
inside & out as the original lp record.

The cd itself is the same as the other Virgin reissues...packaging is different
and collectible.

Here's a pic from ebay:

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-22 21:25 by sweet neo con.

Date: July 23, 2008 17:59

Oh yeah, I remember those. And I remember chosing not to get them.

I saw those other issues though, with the US flag all over the thing. What is up with those? Seems really stupid.

Date: July 23, 2008 18:07

skipstone
Oh yeah, I remember those. And I remember chosing not to get them.

I saw those other issues though, with the US flag all over the thing. What is up with those? Seems really stupid.

Didn't by the flag ones...I think the flag tongues were slipcovers
over the regular cd......simply to promote the tour that was
going on in a particular country i guess.

Date: July 23, 2008 18:10

Ha ha. It wasn't very good promotion - they still cost the same as the regular records did without the stupid flag on 'em!!!

There are stores like Barnes And Knoble that was something like $15 for Made In The Shade.

What a joke.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 23, 2008 18:16

Black and Blue is actually the only cd I have of these reissues and I actually hate the packaging, the cases are an awkward size and the artwork doesn't look write, you feel like you are scratching the cd every time you take it out of the cover.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 23, 2008 23:32

Hound Dog
Black and Blue is actually the only cd I have of these reissues and I actually hate the packaging, the cases are an awkward size and the artwork doesn't look write, you feel like you are scratching the cd every time you take it out of the cover.

The Japanese reissues are better, I think. Sound better too.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 24, 2008 00:14

The plastic case on all of them have 'yellowed' terribly over the years.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 24, 2008 07:46

I saw some at Best Buy tonight. It just says American Series. Or maybe it was American Masters.

I think it's just one more excuse to put the US flag on something. As if Americans don't know what country they live in.

I bought AC/DC's Back In Black - did you know they did a FANTASTIC job of remastering the records and the packaging - WOW! Really great work. Compare any of the AC/DC reissues to anything of the Stones and it makes you wonder...

Date: July 24, 2008 08:12

Stop pissin' on them then....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: C R K ()
Date: August 7, 2008 01:32

So are these the same as the 1994 remasters, soundwise???

Date: August 7, 2008 02:46

Rockman

Stop pissin' on them then....

I can't.
I just can't stop pissing on them.
How can I stop once I start?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 7, 2008 13:22

I have all of these except for Goat's Head Soup.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 7, 2008 15:22

These are the only versions I have of these, and I must say, back in the day it was a pain in the @ss because they didn't fit in my cd cases, but now I have custom built bookcases, so they fit just fine. >grinning smiley<

Date: August 7, 2008 16:03

I can't.
I just can't stop pissing on them.

Oh Jimmy ...Oh Jimmy .... You got yaself a wee problem

ROCKMAN

Date: August 7, 2008 18:05

Yeah, the 1994 remasters. Just one more excuse to get your money.

Date: August 7, 2008 20:30

skipstone
Yeah, the 1994 remasters. Just one more excuse to get your money.
OK thanks. I was looking for the long version of Slave. According to the sleeve it has the short version, but when i checked the length of the track it actually is the long version. What a mess. Tells us how much the label actually cared about the remasters!

Date: August 7, 2008 20:41

The regular reissue says nothing of that nature, only the track length is longer than the CBS. The way I found out was by listening to it and reading about it some magazine, ROLLING STONE perhaps or something. Goldmine.

I find that rather odd though, how you said how much they cared (didn't) about the remasters. I thought they did a fantastic job with representing the original artwork/packing etc...in all the releases. With exception to Steel Wheels, which they did a hack job with artwork wise. In fact, that is the only record they actually made WORSE!

Date: August 7, 2008 21:09

skipstone
The regular reissue says nothing of that nature, only the track length is longer than the CBS. The way I found out was by listening to it and reading about it some magazine, ROLLING STONE perhaps or something. Goldmine.

I find that rather odd though, how you said how much they cared (didn't) about the remasters. I thought they did a fantastic job with representing the original artwork/packing etc...in all the releases. With exception to Steel Wheels, which they did a hack job with artwork wise. In fact, that is the only record they actually made WORSE!

OK, I meant whoever (surely not anyone in the band noticed either) who made the remasters must've noticed the difference in the track-length (and could have made a change in the artwork/made it a selling point even!), or was it a mistake to include the long version? Was it in circulation before the first remasters?

But it all depends if you compare the remasters to the original LPs or the CD that were out before... If it would've been a real fantastic release, some outtakes could've been included etc. but that's another story...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 21:11 by C R K.

Date: August 7, 2008 21:14

To my knowledge, the original release is what was put on the CBS reissues and the Virgin remaster reissue is longer because, I guess, why not? Somebody thought to make a difference.

On Flashpoint too there is a little extra of Mick saying, lamely, 'let's rock this mother to the max!' right before JJF I think. That's not on the CBS original issue.

That would be a good thread - what the differences are on the Virgin issues compared to the original issues/CBS reissues...

Off hand, those are the only two that I have found to be different. I can't think of anything else.

Date: August 7, 2008 22:31

OK thanks for the info. I haven't paid much attention to the CDs because I'm a vinyl-person myself... The day that these CDs will be added with extra songs I'll start to pay attention (if that day ever comes...)

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 7, 2008 22:36

I could have sworn that Mick said Let's Rock this Mother to the Max on my cassette I had - long since worn out and gone. Could be wrong - I've had the CD for so long now

Date: August 7, 2008 22:37

You can clearly hear the vocal O/Ds on Love You Live on CD. Sympathy is a good one. A lot of them are.

Date: August 7, 2008 23:33

I never had the CBS CDs - only the tapes.
Then I bought all 8 of these. winking smiley

When I bought Steel Wheels, both CBS and Virgin were at the used CD store. I bought the CBS one - the Virgin one scrapped the packaging inset book!

As for Flashpoint - that must be new, I have the 1991 Sony double one only (w/ Collectables) as my cassette got lost at a party.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: August 8, 2008 11:55

skipstone
To my knowledge, the original release is what was put on the CBS reissues and the Virgin remaster reissue is longer because, I guess, why not? Somebody thought to make a difference.

On Flashpoint too there is a little extra of Mick saying, lamely, 'let's rock this mother to the max!' right before JJF I think. That's not on the CBS original issue.

That would be a good thread - what the differences are on the Virgin issues compared to the original issues/CBS reissues...

Off hand, those are the only two that I have found to be different. I can't think of anything else.

Two more details regarding the 1994 re-masters:

On IORR they restored Luxury to it's correct length (the 1980 EMI vinyl and 1986 CD/vinyl re-issues had an edited version)

'Wanna Hold You' on Undercover was the extended version first heard on the cassette version of the LP in 1983 + the 2nd CD release (1986).

Date: August 11, 2008 05:00

I noticed that several people were selling the '94 Virgin STEEL WHEELS on Ebay...
and many of them consistently listed SAD SAD SAD & Can't Be Seen
as being "live". A mistake I assume. Please confirm.
I guess it's possible that the re-issues could've made this
type of change...but doubtful.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home