Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ABKCO Remasters
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 26, 2008 22:45

Does anyone have all of the ABKCO Remasters? Every album (British, US), the two live albums and all the hits comps including The London Years as well as Metamorphosis?

Just curious about the sound quality. I know the ABKCO era on Licks sounds fantastic. I would think all the albums sound that good but maybe the first few are still a bit rough?

I know there are mono and stereo mixes of several songs. Any other mixes or edit versions on different albums as well as comps?

Re: ABKCO Remasters
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 26, 2008 23:24

this might help you: [lukpac.org]
start with section 4. (i personally own most of the ABKCO SACD hybrids, and they do sound brilliant.)

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: July 26, 2008 23:45

Have most of them and the sound quality is very good.

Date: July 26, 2008 23:50

Holy shit. That's a lot to read. Cool. Thanks - that's basically what I was hoping for. Maybe not so much in detail, har har, but I will go through that for a while.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 27, 2008 00:18

There's a very nice Mono edition boot of Let It Bleed currently doing the rounds and that's well worth getting. In fact all the Decca editions have been out as nice digipack boots with extra tracks recorded around the sessions for each album.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 27, 2008 01:50

I have all the official Abkso remasters, and compared to the '86 CDs They'r REVELATORY, minor quibbles notwithstanding. Only competition is the long OP Mobile Fidelity box 'o' vinyl, or maybe mint 1`st pressings of Deccas from 40 years ago.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 27, 2008 05:08

I'm curious about these, too. I have the Abkco DSD Remaster (2002) of "Let It Bleed" (catalog number 90042), and it sounds brilliant. I've also heard the DSD version of "Beggar's Banquet", and WOW! Are there others in that series?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-27 05:50 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 27, 2008 10:41

>> WOW! Are there others in that series? <<

if i've got this straight, the DSD disks are the CD layer of the SACD hybrids, without the SACD layer.
so yes, there are others in the series. i wasn't at all convinced i wanted to replace my whole ABKCO collection
but i got Beggars. and the next thing i knew i got almost all of them. i had to.

Date: July 27, 2008 15:07

Where would one find the best stereo Satifaction and Honky Tonk Women from these new ABKCO re-issues? I'm asking from anybody's personal experience, I read the above link but it's not very clear to me. Thanks.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 27, 2008 15:25

Satisfaction is stereo on High Tide and the Hot Rocks set
Honky stereo on Thru Past Darkly...Hot Rocks and Singles Collection

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 27, 2008 15:35

I think there's one I don't have of the 2002 remasters yet (Digipack - I have many of the jewel case ones too though). I have many of the 1986 ABKCO ones. Only a few from the London 1984 catalogue. Still haven't started on the 2002 papersleeve editions from Japan.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 28, 2008 00:44

The Metamorphosis I have is the jewel case issue. I can't stand those goddamn digipaks.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: July 28, 2008 14:39

Have the set in digipacks all sealed. Collecting the jap mini vinyls now - only 5 to go.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 28, 2008 22:03

I bought all of them except Thru The Past and Hot Rocks since all the songs are on other CD's. Bought High Tides for the stereo Satisfaction.

Date: July 29, 2008 00:12

Wow. I dunno about getting every edition just because of different mixes. I think I'd much rather get the single set (London Years "box set") over any of the comps and stick with the UK editions only when available since that is how they were intended to be. I don't really care for the fact that they put the singles on the US editons.

And by having the singles set - the UK versions have better selections on them.

Maybe if I find them used I will get them all but at this point, I'm going to start backwards - Ya-Ya's will be the first one I get.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 29, 2008 00:55

Rockman
Satisfaction is stereo on High Tide and the Hot Rocks set
Honky stereo on Thru Past Darkly...Hot Rocks and Singles Collection

I was annoyed that the stereo version of "Honky Tonk Women" was used on "The Singles Collection".
All of the Stones' Decca singles were released in mono in the UK.
Was the single issued in stereo in the US and has the mono version ever had an official release on CD?
As far as I know, the first stereo single in the UK was "Tumbling Dice".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-29 01:12 by Deltics.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 9, 2008 01:57

That is not the true stereo mix of Satisfaction on the Big Hits or Hot Rocks ABKCO Remastered CDs from 2002. They are different mixes of the song but not the true stereo versions. There is no sound separation on like you would normally hear on stereo versions on those two albums. Listen carefully. Those are the ABKCO mixes. They probably got sick of hearing fans talk about the stereo mix of Satisfaction which was being played on a lot of radio stations, and the ones that were released on the German and Japanese Hot Rocks from the late 1980s, so they put out these weird mixes instead knowing the average Stones fans would be able to tell it sounds different than usual version they have been hearing for 37 years, but it's still not the true stereo version.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 9, 2008 02:17

Hey Originalstones. You're right about Satisfaction. I did buy the German Hot Rocks back in 86 so I do have it in stereo but I don't really like that version. Brian's acoustic and Ian's piano are on the right channel while Charlie, Bill and Keith play on the left channel.
On the 2002 remasters, Brian's acoustic comes in stereo in both channels but you can't hear Ian's piano. This version sounds alot "crisper" with more snappy drums and cymbals than the mono versions that came out in 2002.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 9, 2008 02:32

I think the only superfluous Abkco remaster is the UK "Out Of Our Heads" - even "Flowers" has slightly different mixes (not just shorter) of 'Out Of Time' and the UK 'Cool Calm Collected' is a few seconds longer than the US version. I don't have the 2002 Hot Rocks vol 1 either - I assume it offers nothing not available elsewhere. Other than those two I bought all the others.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 9, 2008 11:06

I have all of them in digipack with certificates. Sounds excellent

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 9, 2008 18:20

"Brian's acoustic and Ian's piano are on the right channel while Charlie, Bill and Keith play on the left channel."

That's the way it's supposed to sound. Brian's acoustic and Ian's piano were supposed to come out the same speaker, while Bill and Charlie the other. The rhythm section (bass, drums) are recorded together. It's like that in almost every Stones stereo recording. The difference between mono and stereo is a sound separation. Mono you get the same out of both speakers and stereo you get different instruments coming out of each speaker. That's the way it was recorded.

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: August 9, 2008 18:21

Next will be: SHM CD .

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 9, 2008 20:33

It's amazing to me that Virgin never attempted to do for the Stones post-1970 recordings what ABKCO did for their earlier work. I mean, here we are, 6 years later, and if you want to hear the Stones in amazing sound quality you are still limited to their earlier material.

Hopefully Universal/Polydor will promptly address this.

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home