Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Is everyone ready for Euro English?
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 6, 2008 23:43

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as Euro-English (Euro for short).

In the first year, 's' will be used instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard 'c' will be replaced with 'k.' Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome 'ph' will be replaced by 'f'. This will make words like 'fotograf' 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' by 'z' and 'W' by 'V'. During ze fifz year, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou', and similar changes vud of kors; be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil b no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru.
grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 14:38 by open-g.

Re: OT: Is everyone ready for Euro English?
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 7, 2008 01:13

The horror.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: August 7, 2008 03:08

It reads like Dutch -8 children would write english... ...knowing words, but only able to write them using things they know.

We'll see!

Jelle

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 7, 2008 03:28

Nise work there, open-g.

Date: August 7, 2008 03:38

Natlanta
Nise work there, open-g.

no big deal, the cut & paste grinning smiley

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 7, 2008 09:45

Can someone show me what a doctors prescription will look like

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 7, 2008 09:48

Exactly the same. Could you read it before ?

Date: August 7, 2008 11:47

Spud
Exactly the same. Could you read it before ?

I'm sorry, it is written as EXAKTLY. A little attention is not too much asked, is it?

:-p

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 7, 2008 12:51

even like that is far better than german.

Date: August 7, 2008 12:58

Now, be gentle, Slivovitz. smileys with beer

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 7, 2008 13:01

sluissie
It reads like Dutch -8 children would write english... ...knowing words, but only able to write them using things they know.

We'll see!

Jelle

Not only Dutch kids, I think that all non-english speking people who just start to learn would be happy, since the english spelling is rather difficult. Most of the other european languages' spelling is pterry close to the spoken form. But that is one of the things that make English such a beautifull language.
I am sure the changes will not be much drastic, but thanks for the nice vision open-g!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 13:05 by Happy24.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 7, 2008 13:03

Zat is hilarious

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: August 7, 2008 13:04

You'are right, it's just the association with the K's in german languages, like Dutch for example :-).

Posted by: Simon ()
Date: August 7, 2008 13:20

april, first?

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 7, 2008 13:33

I think it's a ridiculous enterprise and the best way to confuse everyone. The native speakers, the many people who already use it as "second language" and maybe even the non-english-speaking fraction, who have to forget all the vocabulary they already knew from visiting McDonald's and such.

Maybe they should simplify their rules and regulations instead. I'm sure there's hardly anyone aroud who fully understands that language...

Hey, why don't they just use Latin like in the old days and leave us alone. Then nobody has to discuss which language has to be used or - worse - "modified".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 13:42 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 7, 2008 13:59

you guys of course realized that this is a joke, no?

Date: August 7, 2008 14:02

and for the record, english is a germanic language.

Date: August 7, 2008 14:10

I wasn't too sure, Lorenz - after years of measuring bananas,I deemed them capable of almost every idea one can imagine (and beyond) ;-)

Just reminds me of our German Rechtschreibreform (Keiser, Schifffahrt and such).
This might also have inspired Open G, I guess...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 14:12 by Greenblues.

Date: August 7, 2008 14:13

yeah, you can never be sure - but I have seen this around on the net for a while, as open-g said, it is just copied and pasted from a website. Luckily just a joke!

I didn't know we have to write "Keiser" now, btw! The whole Rechtschreibreform was weird, if you ask me....

Date: August 7, 2008 14:36

Wow, you folks got me worried for a while - until Lorenz came along.
You got it right in all accounts smileys with beer

I found it on the web, it's hilarious imo, the german "Rechtschreibreform" came to mind and ....you can never trust the bureaucrats!

Date: August 7, 2008 14:36

Lorenz

And for the record, Germanic, German & English is spelled with capital letters smiling smiley

(Ya be in Hungary in September by any chance, Lorenz? PM me, wont ya?)

Date: August 7, 2008 14:50

Baboon Bro
Lorenz

And for the record, Germanic, German & English is spelled with capital letters smiling smiley

(Ya be in Hungary in September by any chance, Lorenz? PM me, wont ya?)

well, but also you would have to replace the "is" with an "are", correct?

(will pm you, will definitely be in hungary on some weekends!)

Date: August 7, 2008 15:17

Not too sure, Lorenz:
"[The group of linguonymes of] Germanic --- is [always] spelled
or "spells -- " smiling smiley .. Well, ya'll be hearin' from me.

Date: August 7, 2008 15:20

Lorenz
yeah, you can never be sure - but I have seen this around on the net for a while, as open-g said, it is just copied and pasted from a website. Luckily just a joke!

I didn't know we have to write "Keiser" now, btw! The whole Rechtschreibreform was weird, if you ask me....

Luckily they dropped the "Keiser" and some similar cases in the meantime. But it was a well published example of their draft concept...

Date: August 7, 2008 15:20

ah yes, if you read it that way smiling smiley just kidding around anyway, don't think I should be the one to lecture anyone about the correct use of english grinning smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 7, 2008 16:50

Truth is stranger than fiction!:
[uk.reuters.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 7, 2008 17:50

Funny old language is English. It's constantly evolving so much so that we have difficulty understanding what a Papua New Guinean is saying using pidgeon english let alone what a Glaswegian with a broad accent is saying. If I could I would speak French or Italian....it sounds sophisticated.

NickB

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 7, 2008 18:02

In the United States it's going from "American English" to "Spanish". For example, if you live in California (or Texas or any state in-between), it just says that on a map. It's all really Mexico.

Date: August 7, 2008 18:20

NickB
Funny old language is English. It's constantly evolving so much so that we have difficulty understanding what a Papua New Guinean is saying using pidgeon english let alone what a Glaswegian with a broad accent is saying. If I could I would speak French or Italian....it sounds sophisticated.

True, now how about some phonetically (fonetickly smiling bouncing smiley) example of Kiwi and Aussie english?

Date: August 7, 2008 18:35

Open-G yer vid don't play mate. (note the poor spelling and grammar)

NickB

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home