Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick, Dylan, or Elvis?
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 14, 2008 03:00

Who will mankind still be talking about in 1000 (light) years ... Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, or Elvis Presley?

(Just a crazy little question that popped into my mind, don't ask me why...)

Drew

Re: Mick, Dylan, or Elvis?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 14, 2008 03:08

In a thousand years ??

None of the above.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 14, 2008 03:11

Actually, a light year is a measurement of distance, not time. smoking smiley

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 14, 2008 03:21

With the way musical taste is deteriorating I wouldn't be surprised if Barney The Dinosaur is remembered more than Mick, Dylan and Elvis a thousand years from now.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-14 04:08 by FrankM.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 14, 2008 03:27

I think I know exactly what you mean.

Though it would probably be a rap version of Barney the Mother f**ker Dinosaur.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 14, 2008 03:32

Well out of just those three choices...I"m gonna say Elvis' name will be thrown around a bit more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-14 03:32 by Justin.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: July 14, 2008 04:05

Don't mess with The King..

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 14, 2008 04:14

IMO, Mick is the best front man in Rock and Roll but he is not a strong solo artist like Elvis and Bob so since Elvis essentially opened the door for everyone else, I'd have to say he will be better remembered. Next would be Bob, then Mick

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 14, 2008 07:03

In pop culture, there are IMO only three musical acts that will go down in history books and that people will continue to read about, listen to, etc: Elvis Presley, the Beatles, and Frank Sinatra.
As much as I love the Stones, the Who, Chuck Berry, etc, to the history books and to the average person, only the above three names will continue on. Thats not to say people wont still listen to other music, but Elvis, the Beatles, and Sinatra seem to be the biggest musical giants because each one had their own uniqueness. Yes, IMO there were better talents then each of those: CHuck Berry was a better guitar player and lyricist than Elvis and probably inspired more musicians sound and playing techniques than Elvis; yes there were more talented groups then the Beatles, groups who had better individual musicians, and yes there were better singers than Sinatra, those that had smoother voices or more range. But in the end, these three acts I think will still be popular for many years to come. Pop standars by Sinatra still sell great today (Michael Buble for example), the Beatles music still is the most popular music from the 60s (see Love), and Elvis' image still endures. These acts were and remain the icons of popular music in the last century.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 14, 2008 07:20

A thousand years? There won't be people on the planet in a thousand years.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2008 07:44

Will folks still be talking in a 1000 years...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2008 13:57

skipstone
A thousand years? There won't be people on the planet in a thousand years.

Perhaps you're right, Skipstone! Not to get off topic, but here is a quote that your comment reminded me of:

"What’s so great about the human race? It is, by all measures, one of the biggest disappointments in the history of this world. Just about the only useful thing we humans can do for the rest of the planet is to go extinct."

Drew

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 14, 2008 16:54

I think it is very hard to guess, 1000 years is too much. I think in 200 or 300, all those three will still be remembered and discussed and a couple of others - like Beatles or Sinatra who were mentioned above. It is possible that it will be the same in 1000 years. The good thing is that there is a lot of material recorded, which was not posible let's say 200 or 300 years ago. And still - if you look into the 18th centry - there are many more names well remembered and discussed than only Motart let's say (and there is no recording or even a photograph of the man of course). I would say that that there will be some 20-30 rock singers / bands which will mark the 20th century and will be remembered as long as the humans race will be here.
It is funny that a couple of hundreds years from now people might listen to rock music the way we listen to operas...just something from different times.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 14, 2008 18:02

Rockman
Will folks still be talking in a 1000 years...

some machine will be doing that for you....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 14, 2008 19:35

As a singer "judged" on his voice ?

Elvis definitely.

In the ghetto,suspicious minds..

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 14, 2008 22:33

A thousand years is a really really long time. When you consider how things are changing so quickly now...at some point there's gonna be so many people on the planet. I dunno.

Date: July 14, 2008 22:44

skipstone
A thousand years is a really really long time. When you consider how things are changing so quickly now...at some point there's gonna be so many people on the planet. I dunno.

Our rate of population growth is a scary and evil thing. Reminds me of the Star Trek episode where the whole world is completely jammed with people like sardines in a can.

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home