Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

July 1, 1978 - Cleveland
Posted by: R ()
Date: July 7, 2008 20:36

I forgot to start this on the appropriate day and I notice no one else did either.

It was the most abysmal Rolling Stones performance I have ever seen. Damp, rainy. The band on this tour was hit or miss but in Cleveland it was mostly miss. Jagger's voice was ragged and hoarse and he looked silly in that red hat and punk-gear. Most people hated Peter Tosh so there was an ugly vibe there. Most people liked Kansas, the other opener, but I loathe them. The high wire act was entertaining... At least it was all over by dinnertime.

Re: July 1, 1978 - Cleveland
Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 7, 2008 21:18

According to a snippet from NME at the time, it sounds like it would have been safer to have stayed at home!

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 7, 2008 21:43

Was this the gig where Mick had teh flu and looked and sounded like crap?

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: July 7, 2008 23:33

HEILOOBAAS

I saw this show and the somewhat infamous June 17 Philly show. Mick's cold was the excuse for that one!

Those were my first two Stones shows, and definitely the two worst. I'd pick Cleveland as the best of the two. I've heard audience boots of both and it is indeed a close call. Thirteen dollar tickets though!thumbs up

Karl

PS: Peter Tosh was the highlight of the day. Great gig and during "Legalize It" he lit-up a huge huge spliff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-07 23:36 by KSIE.

Posted by: doster ()
Date: July 8, 2008 01:12

That was my first Stones show and I was just so excited to see the band I had no idea it was a bad show. I just tracked down the boot and there's no doubt about it, that was a bad show.
I remember waiting forever for the Stones and then getting close by helping a photographer carry his gear through the crowd.
Strange days!

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: July 8, 2008 01:37

Philly 78 was worse

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 8, 2008 06:46

Are there any pictures from THIS gig?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 8, 2008 08:46

Doctor Dear!
Philly 78 was worse

I've often wondered why people say Philly was a bad gig.
The boot I have doesn't sound that bad.
The one I have of Cleveland, yes, a bit ragged.
However, when I saw the first Anaheim show, it did sound a bit sloppy,
but when I got the boot, it wasn't as bad as I remembered.
In fact, it's one of my favorites.
Then again, I've done gigs where I though we played great onstage
and it sounded terrible out front and vice versa.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: July 8, 2008 14:24

tomk
Are there any pictures from THIS gig?

This snap was taken by somebody on this group:

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 8, 2008 16:22

HEILOOBAAS

I don't know if he had the flu or too much blow but he defintely looked and sounded like crap.

That snapshot sure brings it back though I was further away, under the awning fortunately.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 8, 2008 18:12

Ah....my first show, not just my Stones show, but my first concert. Everyone slags it, but for me it was great...yeah the weather sucked, but I had worked my way close to the front of the stage and when the Stones came out I was mezmerized....I couldn't believe they were right there in front of me, these guys I'd listened to on the stereo, seen in films (yep Gimmie Shelter was played a few times on Channel 43 in Cleveland). It was like the pictures I'd seen of them had come to life (obviously, but hey I was just about to turn 13 at the time).

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home