Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Pink Floyd -- The 1977 Animals-In The Flesh Tour
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 2, 2008 01:32

The Wolfgang's Vault collection contains an incomplete recording of The Pink Floyd's show in Oakland on May 9, 1977. I lucked out and found a downloadable version of this on another site.

For me, personally, PF's peak period was between 1973-77, with the trio of "The Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals". I don't count "The Wall", as that was essentially a Waters solo project.

As much as some of you may despise them, they were great musicians, and this tour was the last time the core band performed live without the backing of a large retinue of "support musicians/singers". The only onstage additions were Dick Parry on sax and Terence "Snowy" White on guitar & bass.

(After "Have A Cigar" ends, Nick Mason does a "twiddling of the radio knobs" thing, and the first thing you hear is a snippet of YCAGWYW. That's the closest to a Stones connection you'll get from this.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-02 01:48 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT Pink Floyd -- The 1977 Animals-In The Flesh Tour
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 2, 2008 03:00

If you haven't already try and get a listen to the boot 'Raving & Drooling'.
It's the Pig's Bollocks.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 2, 2008 03:06

OT: Dick Parry played with The Who
when they toured briefly with a brass section in 1979-1980.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 2, 2008 03:59

Comfortably Numb was born in Philly on that tour!

According to Rolling Stone the lyrics came from Roger Waters' experience when he was injected with tranquillizers for hepatitis by a doctor prior to playing a Pink Floyd show in Philadelphia on the band's 1977 tour for the Animals album.[3][4] "That was the longest two hours of my life," Waters said. "Trying to do a show when you can hardly lift your arm." The experience gave him the idea which became the lyrics to this song.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 2, 2008 04:57

Is Raving and Drooling the Boston show from 6/18/75? That one's tasty: an opening set of then unreleased songs from Animals and Wish You Were Here, followed by Dark Side in its entirety, with Echoes for an encore.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 2, 2008 07:36

I think there is a more complete version out there then what is up at Wolfgangs Vault (or maybe its the next night). Either way its a great concert. Sheep would open up the show, with Waters playing the bass (which he apparently did very little on this tour) similar to the intro of One of These Days. Then all of Animals and all of Wish You were Here. In the latter there was some pretty awesome workouts on both parts of shine on you crazy diamond. However, at the concert I have, Waters would flip through the radio before Wish You Were Here, the song. At one point he is going around the dial and finds "You Cant always get what you want". He pauses for a moment to let the crowd here it, which is met with massive cheering. Floyd then goes into Wish You Were Here.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 2, 2008 09:12

If you love Floyd then check out In Rainbow Light - a complete boot of a gig they did at the Rainbow Theatre in London in Feb 1972. They premiered Dark Side Of The Moon in its embryonic state and it sounds more like a rock blues concept than the studio masterpiece it went on to become. Great audience recording. Gilmour is in scintillating form. Try The Pirate Bay and it should be on that site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-02 17:44 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 2, 2008 09:38

Who sang "Have a Cigar" when Pink Floyd performed it live?

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 2, 2008 11:20

baxlap
Is Raving and Drooling the Boston show from 6/18/75? That one's tasty: an opening set of then unreleased songs from Animals and Wish You Were Here, followed by Dark Side in its entirety, with Echoes for an encore.

I saw the San Diego gig a few days later. And yes, we could tolerate unknown songs back in those days. It was fun to discover a song in concert.

Date: July 2, 2008 12:01

Gilmore sang Have A Cigar on stage. But original singer Roy Harper did it once only - when they played Knebworth in 75.

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: July 2, 2008 15:15

Waters has done Have a Cigar live too in fact he was great at it on his recent tour.

I always thought he did it in 77 on the boots I have.

I'm sure Dark Side premièred at The Dome in Brighton in 72. It was original called something like "An Assorted piece for lunatics"

Date: July 2, 2008 15:41

Shere - I think you're probably right there. They did The Dome and the equipment broke down and then they returned the next night. The Rainbow boot is stunning quality. Much better than the Dome one.

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: July 2, 2008 16:10

always nice to be right. Not heard the rainbow boot so I will check that one out, I have a boot of the Brighton show but not listened to it for ages.

The Animals tour was great though and some very good boots from there

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 2, 2008 17:40

i love pink floyd animals album one of my all time favorite albums especially pigs on a wing part one and two.such great lyrics by roger waters . i wish in my lifetime that all four original members of floyd reunite and tour.why not its not a fantasy because in 2005 i wished that the CREAM WOULD REUNITE and well we know they did for three shows at the royal albert hall in may of 2005and oh my the mighty CREAM reunited and did three shows at the worlds most famous arena madison square garden in october 2005 and yours truly was lucky enough to catch them the first night at the garden .so dreams do come true .i got my fingers crossed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 2, 2008 18:45

I saw this tour outdoors at the Cleveland Municipal Stadium in 1977. They had a curfew there which meant the 'Floyd had to come on about 7pm and perform in broad daylight. So much for the lighting and special effects - or so we thought. Our big question was, "How can they make a splash at the beginning when everyone will see them come on and begin to play?" The answer came soon enough.

Throughout the afternoon planes had circled the stadium pulling advertising banners behind. As the afternoon waned and evening set in we noticed the planes had all dissapeared save for one small, white, Lear-style jet. The little jet had followed the circular pattern of the earlier planes but eventually began flying figure-eights and such, mostly over Lake Erie, next to where the stadium sits and in full view of the entire crowd. This went on for ten minutes or more until the entire throng, bored of waiting for 'Floyd, began to follow the little jet's aerial gymnastic display.

Suddenly, the little jet made a wide arc out over the lake and turned toward the stadium at which point it went into a dive straight for the venue and the 80,000+ occupants therein. It screamed toward us all only pulling up at the very last moment and rocketing skyward. The entire stadium was screaming and gasping, "What the f*ck was that about?!?" It took a minute or so for the pandemonium to die down but when it did the crowd realized 'Floyd had indeed come on stage, virtually unnoticed in broad daylight, and begun playing sheep. The hair on the backs of our collective necks was still on end at the end of the song when rockets were fired into the sky, exploded, and sheep began parachuting down, just outside of the stadium.

The plane schtick of course couldn't be done today and when 'Floyd did it the jet was likely well within safe parameters, but everyone there I would guess, could swear they saw the whites of pilot's eyes.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 2, 2008 19:11

R that was so cool .i wish i was there for that !

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: July 2, 2008 19:36

It was indeed Waters who sang Cigar on the Animals tour, with lots of dueting on the choruses with Gilmour.

There are a ton of boots from the two 75 tours on Hungercity right now. Best one from April is Cruel But Fair from LA and the Best from June is Boston. Well worth obtaining.

From 72, the one from Japan on March 13 is good. There is also a benefit show for Robert Wyatt from the Rainbow in 73 which was the premier run of the complete DSOM. Their 73 US tour is also interesting for it's opening with the first two cuts from Obscured by Clouds, which didn't last too long.

Posted by: CSD ()
Date: July 2, 2008 22:30

The recording that's on Wolfgang's vault is taken from Plays The Animals and is well worth checking out as it's the entire concert. I think it is an audience recording of the show rather than soundboard although it is difficult to tell as the quality is excellent.

Date: July 3, 2008 00:43

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I did a Google search and managed to find "Animal Instincts" (Harvester CD014) for download. This is the complete show and is a well-recorded audience version of the Oakland concert. 320 & 256 kbps mp3s.

See [avaxsphere.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-03 06:16 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 3, 2008 01:56

One of my promoter friends told me about the time they did Pink Floyd in the 70's in a stadium and back then no one really knew what bands looked like. Remember, this is before MTV,videos, etc. He said after the show, they walked out thru the backdoor into the crowded parking lots and no one recognized them.

Date: July 4, 2008 00:30

I apologize for keeping this going, but this "Animal Instincts" recording is one of the best audience shows I've ever heard. It rivals the best of Mike Millard. Does anyone know who did this?

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: July 4, 2008 00:37

I think it's actually a soundboard. Another popular version is called "In the Flesh" from Great Dane records. It's been among my favorite CD's for a decade.

Date: July 4, 2008 00:50

Zack
I think it's actually a soundboard. Another popular version is called "In the Flesh" from Great Dane records. It's been among my favorite CD's for a decade.

Interesting in that Bill Graham's folks were recording this, but the Wolfgang's Vault version is incomplete. So, did one of Bill's crew capture the whole thing, and this is how we got this fabulous boot, which has been re-released several times over the years?

In any case, to me, this is the Pink Floyd equivalent to the Stones' legendary Brussels/Wembley recording, if only in that the band never saw fit to release it officially. I'd love to be able to ask either Gilmour or Waters about this.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 4, 2008 02:26

baxlap

I recall seeing Pink Floyd back in Liverpool in 1974 when the setlist was:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (unreleased)
Raving And Drooling (unreleased)
Gotta Be Crazy (unreleased)

Interval

The whole Of Dark Side Of The Moon

Echoes (encore).

To this day, it is one of the best concerts I have ever seen. They were absolutely brilliant.

Posted by: lalkrs32 ()
Date: July 4, 2008 03:45

I downloaded the show from the link above and did not know what to expect,since most of the Floyd shows have loud talking,firecrackers etc,but this show is wonderful to listen to.Thanks for the post and link

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 4, 2008 03:53

trainarollin
One of my promoter friends told me about the time they did Pink Floyd in the 70's in a stadium and back then no one really knew what bands looked like. Remember, this is before MTV,videos, etc. He said after the show, they walked out thru the backdoor into the crowded parking lots and no one recognized them.
Yeah, because everyone was tripping... including me

I saw DSOTM tour at Roosevelt Stadium 1973 and they opened with Obscured By Clouds. Awesome !!!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 4, 2008 15:48

trainarollin

There's another story about how on the first night of The Wall concerts in New York, they couldn't find the Nassau Coliseum, so they pulled into the nearby Roosevelt Field shopping mall and walked into Macy's department store to ask for directions.

As far as nobody really knowing what Floyd looked like in the 70s, well, yes and no. If you read rock mags like Creem or Circus or Rolling Stone, you knew. But if a Floyd fan didn't read rock mags, and didn't own a copy of Ummagumma (the only album except the first one with a good photo of them on the cover) and hadn't seen the Live At Pompeii film, they might very well NOT have known who they were.

But didn't the DSOTM LP come packaged with a poster of concert photos?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-04 15:53 by tatters.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:27

The Ft. Worth 77 show is one of the best I ever attended.(And we thought $10 a seat was high then!). The aud. boot of this show is an exc. recording also. This was the first concert I had ever seen with a huge screen behind the band and the animated clips were great.To be honest I hardly even looked at the stage(I was in the balcony) because of the visual effects. Plus a great show to be stoned at.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 4, 2008 20:03

R
I saw this tour outdoors at the Cleveland Municipal Stadium in 1977. They had a curfew there which meant the 'Floyd had to come on about 7pm and perform in broad daylight. So much for the lighting and special effects - or so we thought. Our big question was, "How can they make a splash at the beginning when everyone will see them come on and begin to play?" The answer came soon enough.

Throughout the afternoon planes had circled the stadium pulling advertising banners behind. As the afternoon waned and evening set in we noticed the planes had all dissapeared save for one small, white, Lear-style jet. The little jet had followed the circular pattern of the earlier planes but eventually began flying figure-eights and such, mostly over Lake Erie, next to where the stadium sits and in full view of the entire crowd. This went on for ten minutes or more until the entire throng, bored of waiting for 'Floyd, began to follow the little jet's aerial gymnastic display.

Suddenly, the little jet made a wide arc out over the lake and turned toward the stadium at which point it went into a dive straight for the venue and the 80,000+ occupants therein. It screamed toward us all only pulling up at the very last moment and rocketing skyward. The entire stadium was screaming and gasping, "What the f*ck was that about?!?" It took a minute or so for the pandemonium to die down but when it did the crowd realized 'Floyd had indeed come on stage, virtually unnoticed in broad daylight, and begun playing sheep. The hair on the backs of our collective necks was still on end at the end of the song when rockets were fired into the sky, exploded, and sheep began parachuting down, just outside of the stadium.

The plane schtick of course couldn't be done today and when 'Floyd did it the jet was likely well within safe parameters, but everyone there I would guess, could swear they saw the whites of pilot's eyes.

My older brother was at the same show...I had the t-shirt with the pig and the digital "Pink Floyd"....I never got to see them with Roger Waters, but I did see them at Knebworth.

I'm gonna have to ask him about the jet.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: July 4, 2008 21:12

Thanks for sharing your stories, guys. I never got to see the band live, just the post-Waters "Delicate Sound of Thunder" video, and the 2005 reunion video.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home