Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT clash first and second album
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 1, 2008 21:20

Just listen with my headphone and a glass of very good brandy to the first and the second album of the clash, waauw man, what are this albums great, just classics, i love it !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-01 21:28 by steffiestones.

Re: OT clash first and second album
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 1, 2008 22:23

Great releases
Tell me how great Keith would sound singing Jail Guitar Doors.

I had a listen last Friday night to the first one and selections from the second one.
Safe European Home and Tommy Gun are criminally brilliant.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: July 1, 2008 22:26

2 of the greatest albums of all time -- and then they follow it up with London Calling!

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: July 1, 2008 22:58

One of the greatest left far too early.
RIP Joe - We miss you!!

Date: July 1, 2008 23:06

I certainly love the Clash, but for me, the first 2 records are more about them feeling their way along. For my money, it's only after they find their own voice on London Calling that they really start to cook. I don't think they were a great punk band, but I do think they were a great "Clash band" - if that makes any sense.

Similarly, I enjoy early Stones as well, but it's only when they start to sound uniquely Stonesy (with Beggar's) that they become The Greatest Rock n Roll Band In The World.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 1, 2008 23:13

With London Calling The Clash eclipsed The Stones. Best rock'n'roll album since Exile without a shadow of a doubt.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 1, 2008 23:19

I don't know... production-wise, the hard-rocky Give Em Enough Rope is a mis-step, and the good songs on there are few for me. The first album holds up somehow, but some of the stuff I really like are the assorted tracks on Black Market Clash, like "The Prisoner" and "Bankrobber," some of which slipped through the cracks when it was issued on CD as Super Black Market Clash.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 1, 2008 23:28

Gates Of The West and Jail Guitar Doors also do it for me. Saw Primal Scream do Jail Guitar Doors once, Great cover.

Date: July 1, 2008 23:29

cc
..."Bankrobber," some of which slipped through the cracks when it was issued on CD as Super Black Market Clash.

"Bankrobber"! A killer to be sure. It's still available on Story Of The Clash - along with their dynamite cover of "Armagideon Time".

Date: July 1, 2008 23:34

yeah, those are good too! "Gates of the West" is one I was trying to think of that's somewhat like "The Prisoner." I like the junkier production all those songs have, compared to ...Rope.

Hey Silver Dagger, all the sets from the Primal Scream/MC5 show appeared on Dimeadozen. I've just listened to the Primal Scream so far--excellent!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 1, 2008 23:55

Give "I fought the Law" and "should I stay" a closer listen
[www.mediafire.com]
it's a mogg file which opens with Audacity - and its multitrack!

thumbs up

or the whole list....
[xerotheory.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-01 23:57 by open-g.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 2, 2008 10:18

A truly great band.
Viewed by most folks as a premier "punk" band...but never really that.
They ran on energy and a great mix of roots influences, just like the Stones before them, to produce great music.
London calling really is one of the best albums ever made... by anybody.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 2, 2008 10:22

steffiestones
Just listen with my headphone and a glass of very good brandy to the first and the second album of the clash, waauw man, what are this albums great, just classics, i love it !!

Great thread this. I love the first Clash album, but I don't think Give Em Enough Rope is as good. It's my least favourite of the ones they made with Mick Jones. I don't think the songs are as strong. Of course, London Calling, Sandinista and Combat Rock all eclipsed Rope.

Date: July 2, 2008 11:19

i love the prisoner, great lyrics

THE PRISONER LIVES IN CAMDEN TOWN
SELLING REVOLUTION
THE PRISONER LOADS HIS TRACKING ARM UP
WITH SELF-DISILLUSION
YOUR MOTHER DOES THE WASHING UP
YOUR OLD MAN DIGS THE GARDEN
YOU'RE ONLY FREE TO DODGE THE COPS
AN' BUNK THE TRAIN TO STARDOM

Joe was really a great stones fan, he was seen on many stones concerts. My shock was great for the loss of this great man, world figure, and voice of his generation. My generation. I get a little afraid when we lose one of the greats, not just as a musician/poet, but a vital political force.

Cos years have passed and things have changed
And I move anyway I wanna go
Ill never forget the feeling I got
When I heard that you got home
An Ill never forget the smile on my face
cos I knew where you would be
An if youre in the crown tonight
Have a drink on me
But go easy...step lightly...stay free

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 2, 2008 13:54

<<production-wise, the hard-rocky Give Em Enough Rope is a mis-step>>

It was produced by a hard rock producer. A somewhat controversial choice, if memory serves me.

Personally I prefer the first UK album ...and I'd say London Calling is the best rock record made in the last thirty years.

Date: July 2, 2008 17:28

i heard that the fist UK album is the second US album and the first US album is the second UK album, true?

Date: July 2, 2008 17:35

steffiestones
i heard that the fist UK album is the second US album and the first US album is the second UK album, true?

If I remember correctly, the first record was released in two quite diferent versions in the US & UK, but the second album was the same in both markets.

But yes, you heard correctly, the first record to see US release was "Give 'Em Enough Rope" (followed that summer by the radically different US version of the eponymous debut).

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 2, 2008 18:22

Sohoe
<<production-wise, the hard-rocky Give Em Enough Rope is a mis-step>>

It was produced by a hard rock producer. A somewhat controversial choice, if memory serves me.

Personally I prefer the first UK album ...and I'd say London Calling is the best rock record made in the last thirty years.

Sandy Pearlman, producer of Blue Oyster Cult

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 2, 2008 18:52

steffiestones

The UK album "The Clash" came out in April 1977. The US release of the same title came out in July 1979, although the UK version had been available as an import , selling very well. ("Give 'em enough rope came out in Nov'78)

The US version dropped 4 songs from the UK version (Deny/Protex Blue/48 Hours/Cheat) and also used the single version of White Riot instead of the album version. Five songs were added to the US version which came from recent UK singles, b-sides etc - White Man in Hammersmith palais, Jail Guitar Doors, Complete Control, Clash City rockers and I Fought The Law - all of which featured Topper Headon on drums instead of Terry Chimes, who had left the band when the first album originally came out.

The Clash are the greatest band to have emerged after the 60s. No one has ever come close.

Date: July 2, 2008 18:56

i wonder what the stones think about the clash...

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 2, 2008 18:58

The Ghost Of Good taste
steffiestones

If I remember correctly, the first record was released in two quite diferent versions in the US & UK, but the second album was the same in both markets.

But yes, you heard correctly, the first record to see US release was "Give 'Em Enough Rope" (followed that summer by the radically different US version of the eponymous debut).

The first album was highly sought-after import in the States before "'Rope" ever came out. It's popularity, in large part, is likely what gave the stiffs at Columbia a nudge toward giving the Clash a whirl. When the reconfigured first album was released Stateside it was assumed the new tracks would give the ardent fans a reason to rebuy the album. Many of us had begun earnestly collecting the singles by then however rendering the new tracks redundant.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 2, 2008 18:59

steffiestones

I'm sure Keith hated them, but that would be nothing new....!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-02 19:00 by Gazza.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 2, 2008 19:12

Works both ways.
Mick Jones used to say he hated Keith Richards...despite so obviously having modelled himself on favourite reprobate ;^)

Date: July 2, 2008 19:19

...and, allegedly, Mick Jones used to break into the poolhouse at The Wick (when Keith was staying there) and steal Keith's shirts and, I think, a guitar.

Apocryphal, to be sure, but a good story nonetheless.

Date: July 2, 2008 19:22

Gazza
steffiestones

I'm sure Keith hated them, but that would be nothing new....!

why? jealous?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 2, 2008 19:42

The Stones should do a cover of "Train In Vain". Yeah, I know it's London Calling, but still Clash.

Hell, every band on the planet should (except Dwight Yoakam's - he ruined it).

We do an acoustic version of "Should I Stay..." when we play.

Date: July 2, 2008 20:22

Since we're on the Clash, anyone care to offer their 10 favorite Clash numbers? I'll go first:

1 Version City
2 Straight To Hell
3 Washington Bullets
4 Revolution Rock
5 Guns Of Brixton
6 Bankrobber
7 Ghetto Defendant
8 Justice Tonight/Kick It Over (Armagideon Time dub)
9 London Calling
10 White Man (In Hammersmith Palais)

Date: July 2, 2008 20:33

not sure I can do 10, but you have one of my favorites in "Washington Bullets." 2 of my dubby favorites from that album are "The Call Up" and "The Equaliser." Though maybe my favorite cut on the album is "Corner Soul"... brilliant.

from the second album, I like "Tommy Gun," "English Civil War," and that's about it!

of the 4 cut from the UK first album for the US release, I like "Deny" and "Cheat." The other 2 I can't recall at the moment.

Date: July 2, 2008 20:51

Oh yeah - Equalizer is great. I contend that "Sandinista!" (my favorite Clash album - I know, very uneven) was the first modern hip hop album - with all of the skits/between song links, remixes/dubs, etc.

Date: July 2, 2008 21:01

my favourites:

-the prisoner
-white man...
-bankrobber
-tommy gun
-train in vain
-white riot
-clash city rockers
-jail guitar doors
-london calling
-carreer oppurtunities

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home