Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Beck & Band,Manchester Apollo,Wednesday 2nd June,2008
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 3, 2008 02:38

Hello,

Beck is one of the very few contemporary-ish acts that I'd part with money to hear play:I still love most of the songs off 'Odelay',and I do rate the wee man.
He was also responsible for one of the most extraordinary and fantastic shows I've seen-that was 3 or 4 years ago,in the same venue,and absolute dynamite it was.So,could tonight's effort live with that memory?

Wisely,Mr. Hansen chose to open with 'Devil's Haircut' to get the standing crowd downstairs jumping around a bit,but he also used up another trump card for the third number,'New Pollution'.'I'm A Loser' followed not long after,which is always going to be a huge singalong.

His latest album is called 'Modern Guilt' and several songs were aired-some were more welcome than others.

Although they might not be much to look at,the band were pretty robust musically and could certainly play a storm when needed.An honourable mention should go to his guitarist (great sounding tones) and drummer,who may well have seen a little bit of KM on DVD or Youtube (fast and inventive).

After almost 90 minutes and the obligatory encore,it's game over.Sure,it wasn't as mental as the show I saw 3 years ago,but that would've been too much to ask for.He is a talent,and worth catching live if you get the chance.

Cheers,

Si.

Re: O/T Beck & Band,Manchester Apollo,Wednesday 2nd June,2008
Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: July 3, 2008 09:07

I saw him on the Odeleay tour at Brixton. A really great gig. Also saw him at wembley arena a few years later and was less impressed, just a different Beck, he had move on and i wasnt eady , certainly more subdued. an artist who is allways wort checking out, he certainly doesnt stand still.

the deluse odely is worth checking out by the way.

Re: O/T Beck & Band,Manchester Apollo,Wednesday 2nd June,2008
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 3, 2008 09:21

Heard the new album is supposedly a tribute to English psychedelic groups of the 60s. If that's the case I can't wait to hear it. He is rather hit and miss these days and I found some of his recent albums a little sombre and lacking sparkle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home