Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
You're so vain - Carly Simon, Mick on backing vocals
Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 22, 2008 21:27

Such a great classic song, Mick Jagger sings the backing vocals from the 2nd chorus! I learnd today tots of people thought the song itself was about him.

from This Morning - 1995

Mark McEwen: How did you get Mick Jagger to sing on You're So Vain?

Carly: I guess it was kind of chance in a way. I was in London, it was 1972 and he happened to call at the studio while I was doing the background vocals with Harry Nilsson. Mick said "Hey, what cha doin'?" and I said "We're doing some backup vocals on a song of mine....why don't you come down and sing with us?"

So Mick and Harry and I stood around the mike singing you're so vain and Harry was such a gentleman - he knew the chemistry was between me and Mick; in terms of the singing, so he sort of bowed out saying "The two of you have a real blend - you should do it yourselves."

And that's how it happened.

MM: So, who is You're So Vain about?

Carly: I don't know.

MM: We've heard it was Warren Beatty. It was Mick Jagger. But you've never really said who it was.

Carly: Yeah.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en"></param><embed src="

&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-22 21:28 by farawayeyes2.

Re: You're so vain - Carly Simon, Mick on backing vocals
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 22, 2008 21:30

I never really understood why it was so important to know wether or not the song is about Mick. Enlighten me please.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 22, 2008 21:31

Trash journalism is what its all about.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 22, 2008 21:36

Well, probably it wouldnt be so interesting if not the line "you're so vain, you probably think this song is about you" tongue sticking out smiley But anyway, I don't give a shit about it either.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: June 22, 2008 22:04

I must say I really like this song. Ok, it's a 'pop' song, but it's a good one. I have to say Carly Simon is a great singer and sexy too. What more could you ask for?

Really, it's all about guys like you and I, although it's seen from a woman's standpoint. It's a little tongue in cheek but it hits a nerve at the same time.

JMHO

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 22, 2008 22:33

.....and isn't Memory Motel about her?

Posted by: beatbabe ()
Date: June 22, 2008 22:48

I think I read somewhere that it was about Annie Leibovitz. Has anyone else heard that?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 22, 2008 23:02

JumpingKentFlash
I never really understood why it was so important to know wether or not the song is about Mick. Enlighten me please.

Because Carly is milking it for all it's worth.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 23, 2008 00:43

I really like the song I must say.

I definitely remember hearing on some radio programme a few years ago that CS had finally stated after 30 years plus that it was about Warren Beatty. I also clearly recall her saying on a radio interview while the song was current, (1971?), that it was certainly not about Jagger. "I would never be so sly as to have him sing backing vocals on a song about himself" - I clearly remember that.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 23, 2008 00:44

Memory Motel about Annie Leibovitz? Man, that's a new one on me. That would imply that there was some kind of romantic association with Mick. I always thought it was about him falling out of love with Bianca.

Posted by: beatbabe ()
Date: June 23, 2008 00:54

See the link below.

[metroartwork.com]

Date: June 23, 2008 01:33

......up until her death a few years ago Susan Sontag was Annie Leibovitz' lover for around 25 or so years....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 23, 2008 01:36

beatbabe
I think I read somewhere that it was about Annie Leibovitz. Has anyone else heard that?

as Annie is a lesbian, I would imagine that's somewhat unlikely!

Most of the Stones compositions probably arent "about" anyone in particular. I would imagine, like many writers, they write from a fictional perspective, as observers of other people's lives or when they write about real people they tend to be composites.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 23, 2008 01:38

Who did the guitar solo on that song? I always thought it was great, kinda spooky actually.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 23, 2008 02:07

I've read there's a remix of the song on the Carly Simon compilation "Clouds In My Coffee". I wonder if it's any different to the regular version.

Date: June 23, 2008 02:07

shadooby
Who did the guitar solo on that song? I always thought it was great, kinda spooky actually.

Jimmy Ryan, according to this :

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 23, 2008 02:14

Thanks Gaz. Never heard of the guy. I do quite like the album cover though...yowza!

Date: June 23, 2008 02:26

never heard of him, either...but I agree with you (see? it can happen smiling smiley ) about the solo so it made me curious who it was.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 23, 2008 02:29

what exacltly does clouds in my coffee mean anyways? Is it some kind of drug reference?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 23, 2008 02:37

Gazza said:
"Most of the Stones compositions probably arent "about" anyone in particular. I would imagine, like many writers, they write from a fictional perspective, as observers of other people's lives or when they write about real people they tend to be composites."

That is very true especially when Mick is the main writer. Keith seems to be more specific and ready to admit who is the target ; ex You don't move me anymore (about Mick) All about you(about Anita) Little T&A(about Patti Hansen). Mick also writes about real persons Claudine (Claudine Longet), Too much Blood (A japanese murderer). He doesn't write openly about persons that he know.
Mops

Date: June 23, 2008 02:41

Yes, Keith is certainly more open in that sense. Mick, as is often the case, tends to be very guarded.

'All About You' - Keith has said that it was originally written with Anita in mind, but that he later realised it was (maybe subconsciously) about Mick.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 23, 2008 04:58

I have always loved You're So Vain. It really has the sound that was so fantastically captured in the production of Goats Head Soup. It sounds like it could have been on that album actually. Fantastic lyrics, excellent intro - it just sounds killer.

Great song.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 23, 2008 13:02

this song is very special. First this is a perfect song, still fresh. A song for travelling.
Each time I listen to it I feel the same intensity because you can clearly hear Mick'voice trying to be upfront. Unsual for a backing singer often barely recognizable.

Date: June 23, 2008 13:03

rebelrebel
"I would never be so sly as to have him sing backing vocals on a song about himself" - I clearly remember that.

OBVIOUS

Date: June 23, 2008 13:04

rollmops
Gazza said:
"
That is very true especially when Mick is the main writer. Keith seems to be more specific and ready to admit who is the target ; ex You don't move me anymore (about Mick) All about you(about Anita) Little T&A(about Patti Hansen). Mick also writes about real persons Claudine (Claudine Longet), Too much Blood (A japanese murderer). He doesn't write openly about persons that he know.
Mops

what about the poor Prince of Wales ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 23, 2008 15:32

......if Keith really did write All About You re: Mick....is there any wonder why it took at least 30 years for them before they actually sat in a room to write together as they claim they did for ABB???....

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: June 23, 2008 21:11

Was You're So Vain Mick's first back-up vocal outside of the Stones? I don't recall anything earlier except maybe with the Beatles.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 23, 2008 23:28

mighty stork
Was You're So Vain Mick's first back-up vocal outside of the Stones? I don't recall anything earlier except maybe with the Beatles.

Mick did some back up vocals in the sixties:

The Andrew Oldham Orchestra/ I Get Around
Farlowe, Chris/ Out Of Time
Farlowe, Chris/ Yesterday's Papers 2
Farlowe, Chris/ Think
Beatles, The/ Baby You're A Rich Man
Beatles, The/ All You Need Is Love
Scott, Nicky/ Everything's Gonna Be Allright

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-23 23:33 by Britney.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 24, 2008 04:27

Is the "CS" in "CS Blues" ... Carly Simon ????

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 24, 2008 06:25

..."clouds in my coffee" is not a drug reference......it's just like a pipe dream (again, not a drug reference).....it's, in my opinion, a reference to dreaming...nothing more, nothing less......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-24 06:26 by Lukester.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home