Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How many collect RS vinyls?
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: June 14, 2008 11:14

Just a curiosity; I would like to find out how many of us collect vinyls and how you focused your collection.
I have about a thousand Lps and two thousands singles/Eps.
For the LPs, I concentrated on the Decca-London period and tried to get the first pressings only and not the reissues.
For the singles I collect everything, from 1963 to 2008.

Re: How many collect RS vinyls?
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 14, 2008 12:53

I do.

JR

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: June 14, 2008 13:04

i do

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: June 14, 2008 13:20

*raises hand* Me too.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 14, 2008 13:21

Me too... and also singles, EPs.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 14, 2008 13:22

I collect promo albums, acetates and testpressings and offcours all the first pressings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-14 14:05 by steffiestones.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 14, 2008 13:57

I do.

7" mostly (Germany, UK, USA).

Just scored the US 7" "In Another Land" on ebay.
Must be in the mail on Monday:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-14 13:59 by TooTough.

Date: June 14, 2008 14:04

my testpressing of let it bleed

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 14, 2008 14:59

I also collect RS vinyls. But I don't collect those rare pressings. There's nothing left because of you guys' collections.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: June 14, 2008 16:21

Aint that the truth Eric.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 14, 2008 16:36

I collect CDs. It's around 170 official ones, counting solo stuff and other stuff they've been on (Like John Phillips' Pay, Pack & Follow etc). I have some vinyls though. The rarest one, which isn't very rare at all, is a pink Miss You single from 1978 (I think). It's the size of a normal LP. The centerpiece is yellow, so it looks like something off Never Mind The Bollocks (Here's The Sex Pistols). That's probably not a coincidence either.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 14, 2008 16:43

Only collect officially released 45 and 33 singles that include non-album b-sides and extended versions.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 14, 2008 16:45

JumpingKentFlash
I collect CDs. It's around 170 official ones, counting solo stuff and other stuff they've been on (Like John Phillips' Pay, Pack & Follow etc). I have some vinyls though. The rarest one, which isn't very rare at all, is a pink Miss You single from 1978 (I think). It's the size of a normal LP. The centerpiece is yellow, so it looks like something off Never Mind The Bollocks (Here's The Sex Pistols). That's probably not a coincidence either.

First Rolling Stones single I ever bought was Miss You. I had the pink vinyl extended 12". Still have it. In fact, I have about 50 albums and a couple of 12" singles on vinyl - seven of which are different pressings of "Some Girls" (original UK pressing & uncensored sleeve, red vinyl, orange vinyl versions, original US promo, Japanese first issue, reissued sleeve and the recently reissued vinyl version).

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: June 14, 2008 19:29

Don't really bother about it anymore, just happy with what I got so far. The rarest one must be the Spanish version of Sticky Fingers, on second pressing from the late 70's or so.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 14, 2008 19:33

I guess I don't "collect" them in the way you mean. But I have everything up to Dirty Work on vinyl, some in good vintage copies, including a few UK monos and the German box set The Rolling Stones Story.

Date: June 14, 2008 19:33

I just collect 45's. Stones and related, Blondie, and Stiff Records. Easier to store and I like the sleeve variations.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: arc-angel ()
Date: June 14, 2008 19:56

I do also, focussed on LP's, EP's and singles Germany, UK and USA, including acetates, demos testpressings.. (@steffiestones: nice copy of Let it bleed tespressing).
Special area: I collect all first releases of the debut album from all over the world (I'm still looking for the Israel copy and a turkey one :-)

Andreas
Germany

Date: June 14, 2008 20:02

arc-angel
I do also, focussed on LP's, EP's and singles Germany, UK and USA, including acetates, demos testpressings.. (@steffiestones: nice copy of Let it bleed tespressing).
Special area: I collect all first releases of the debut album from all over the world (I'm still looking for the Israel copy and a turkey one :-)

Andreas
Germany

Amazing, Andreas...I would be bankrupt, if I did that. I have 20 different UK 1st LPs alone! I have 4 different pressings of the UK LK 4605, with alternate Tell Me, alone!!!

JR

Date: June 14, 2008 21:22

Hello JR,

Thanks, but I think you have definitely more Stones stuff than me, but I have the UK fist with alternate Tell me too (looking for a demo from UK, but up to now I did not see this rare record. Last time I saw on ebay a debut album with the Decca emblem with blue letters, which was really unknown to me to this time ... and unfortunately I placed the bid too low. ...but as a true collector you need some records to look for, or :-)

btw. I'm one of the lucky guys owning 2 records of the 3 records demo set "Histoy of the Rolling Stones" or "The Essential Rolling Stones" of which 6 set are believed to exist (it's record 1 and 3). So this would be for a long time my "Quest" (I'm looking forward to the next record fair in Utrecht (Netherlends) which is the biggest records fair in Europe.

---
Andreas
(arc-angel) Germany

.... You Can't Always Get What You Want ....

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: June 14, 2008 21:31

I collect anything I get my hands on. RS related of course.

Date: June 14, 2008 21:45

[cgi.ebay.com]

Here's a good one! Gonna have to go through me, of coarse...

I always wanted book end Street Sleeves!

JR

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: June 14, 2008 22:07

Only LP`s

Date: June 14, 2008 22:08

cc
I guess I don't "collect" them in the way you mean.

Hmmm...yes the same goes for me - I'm only interested in having the best sounding versions of every album....and of course one have to turn to vinyls instead of CDs to get the best sound. The "collecting" part of it, doesn't turn me on. But I do understand people who thinks differently...it's easy getting hooked to everything, and especially to something as rocking as Rolling Stones records. Better than smoking 100 cigarettes a day anyway. At least healthwise...not necessarily when it comes to economy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-14 22:11 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2008 22:11

Everything released on vinyl by the stones I collect.

I got a mint UK copy of mono Beggars Banquet 2 days ago, and what a beauty it is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-14 22:13 by Guðni Gunnarsson.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: June 14, 2008 22:38

Vinyl is my kind of thing as well. I started collecting everything Stones on vinyl some 25 years back. Naturally that was a disaster, you just cannot collect everything. There is so much around and basically you only end up with a big collection, so you only have quantity but no quality..

The last ten years I have only been collecting UK made Stones vinyls. Today I can say that I do not have a quantity collection, but a quality collection. LP + maxi + 7" totalling around 1000 pcs.

I have this small documentation project ongoing and if anyone wants to have a look on what I am up to, then please visit our Nordic Stones Vikings homepage and click on DECCAsmoking smiley

Not all stuff in there is in my collection but most of it. I am not showing what I have but trýing to document what is existing.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-14 22:44 by Jan Richards.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 14, 2008 23:05

Erik_Snow
Hmmm...yes the same goes for me - I'm only interested in having the best sounding versions of every album....and of course one have to turn to vinyls instead of CDs to get the best sound.

yeah, a few years ago, when I finally got a decent turntable, amp, and speakers, I basically just followed the advice of Michael Fremer, a popular writer on audiophilia, who wrote a guide to the Stones on vinyl, and I found a lot of his recommendations on eBay. Fremer is really great--unlike most writers in this field, at least back then, he likes rock music, and he promotes affordable, vintage-styled gear. His article may be online now... or I could reproduce what he suggested.

He went through and listened to many different editions. For most or all of the 60s stuff, it was Decca UK vinyl on top. For Sticky Fingers and Exile, I think it was US first pressings. For GHS and IORR, there was a particular Japanese edition. For Some Girls, it was a Dutch orange vinyl--that really sounds superb. I think he stopped there.

One nice thing about what he wrote was it tried to correct the impression that the early 60s stuff was not well recorded. The tracks done in the English studios sound pretty cheap, but by the second UK LP, there's material from Chess ("Down the Road Apiece," "Down Home Girl") with a great rock sound and tons of bass.

Date: June 14, 2008 23:14

stone-relics
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260250525525&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Here's a good one! Gonna have to go through me, of coarse...

I always wanted book end Street Sleeves!

JR
Yes it's really a good one. a rare one. if not THE stones raritiy from US. I don't have it yet ... (the last bid will be likely near a 5 digit value ?! ... and that's currently too expensive too me, knowing, that I might not see it anymore ...

Date: June 14, 2008 23:19

Jan Richards
... I have this small documentation project ongoing and if anyone wants to have a look on what I am up to, then please visit our Nordic Stones Vikings homepage and click on DECCAcool smiley
Hi Jan,

great page (just added to my bookmarks), very interesting, because the mentioned cover variation with blue Decca emblem is listed from you. Is it yours !

Go on with that page. I will check tomorrow my debut collection, to give you some info, when other variations are mine.

BR
Andreas

Date: June 14, 2008 23:22

cc
For Some Girls, it was a Dutch orange vinyl--that really sounds superb. I think he stopped there.
One nice thing about what he wrote was it tried to correct the impression that the early 60s stuff was not well recorded. The tracks done in the English studios sound pretty cheap, but by the second UK LP, there's material from Chess ("Down the Road Apiece," "Down Home Girl") with a great rock sound and tons of bass.

Yes, yes I agree with the better sound on the Chess sessions. I remember that Rolling Stones were impressed with the result themselves.
The orange and Dutch Some Girls...yeah I have 2 mint ones, and they sound great. Wish I'd know which Japanese editions of the GHS and IORR he talked about though. Still...I think both those albums (UK and USA) sounds way more alive than the CDs.
Just like you, I haven't bought any vinyls after Dirty Work when it comes to Rolling Stones. But other artists....like Bob Dylan; it's very hard finding those 90s releases, such as "Bootleg Series", "Good As I Been To You" and "Time Out Of Mind" - but when I finally found them, I think it was worth it - as there's breath and pulse there - contrary to the CDs.
Strange...this vinyl vs CD thing. Because it's a wonder why CDs ever grew to be that big. I guess the main reason it that the majority of customers don't really care to listen; they only buy as they "expect themselves to buy this or that album"....just like me when it comes to certain albums of mine. But once you get past the "I must buy...ta-ta-ta" and focus on what coming out of the speakers - there's not much to be said about the competition....in most cases anyway - not "Street Legal" or "Born To Run" for instance

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: June 14, 2008 23:31

Thanks Andreas. Unfortunately the blue boxed LK4605 is not in my collection. I was in the bidding competition a few months back when it was on sale on e-bay but I lost.....
You Can't Always Get What You Want...

But as I mentioned earlier, not all objects pictured on my page are in my collection. As my intention is not to show what I have but to show what is existing.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home