Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who likes Jefferson Starship ?
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 6, 2008 00:41

I do ... have always done, and much to my absolute astonishment, they're gonna be playing in London:

[www.rhythmat.com]

F f f firking fantastico, can't wait !!

PS: And they're gonna play "Blows Against The Empire" in full, holy shite !! Can it get any better ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-06 01:11 by paulywaul.

Re: Who likes Jefferson Starship ?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 6, 2008 01:45

For all things Jeffersonian:

[www.jeffersonstarshipsf.com]

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 6, 2008 01:48

Not my cup of tea since Jourma and Jack left and the morphed into the Starship but glad you like 'em!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 6, 2008 04:03

Haven't even gave them a thought since Balin, Kantner and Slick split up. To me they will always be the core and they are not a band without each other.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 6, 2008 04:07

I've always enjoyed them. From the Airplane days through the early Starship years. One of my favorite guilty pleasure albums has always been the Freedom At Pont Zero album. The first one with Mickey Thomas. Aynsley Dunbar on drums,Craig Chaquico playing some nice Guitar. Interesting stuff on there. Then they did that god awful We Built This City. That's when Paul came to his senses and went his seperate way. But that tool Mickey Thomas is still going around touring as The Starship. Nice to see Paul get back to his roots. Meanwhile the supremely talented Craig Chaquico has won a couple Grammy's making acoustic Jazz guitar albums.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 6, 2008 04:10

White Rabbit Rocks !!

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: June 6, 2008 05:51

I was going to say they're not a patch on what Airplane was & yes, White Rabbit - Ravel's Bolero Revisited, Grace could sing, our Lisa could take some singing lessons from her

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 6, 2008 08:44

Original Airplane was good, but I never understood Grace's hatred for her fans in L.A.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: June 6, 2008 09:00

Love Red Octopus! In fact, if you would post the 4th song, the one after Git Fiddler, I would be very, very grateful...

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: June 6, 2008 09:09

.. someone's gotta mention 'miracles'...

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: June 6, 2008 11:03

'We built this city' is the worst song ever written by anybody but I do like old Airplane

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 6, 2008 11:21

soundcheck
.. someone's gotta mention 'miracles'...

Why?

I think I hate that song about as much as Long Train Running by the Doobies or Stone in Love by Journey. And I could think of a few Boston or Foreigner songs that come close.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: June 6, 2008 12:27

Who's in the band now from the original days Kantner, Freiburg and Balin?. I hear that the female singer is very good but no-one will ever replace Grace - the best female rock singer next to Patti Smith in my opinion.

I see that they are playing the 100 club in London which is a great venue but not very big so tix will go fast. Pity they are playing Blows Against The Empire 'cos i never liked that album at all.

Andy

Posted by: Beaver ()
Date: June 6, 2008 12:30

I've got one major favorite and that's on "Thirty seconds over Winterland", which is live. The song is "Feel so good" with Jorma on vocals. It is about 11 minutes of great rock and roll! One of the greatest tunes. I'm a big fan of Jorma and Hot Tuna. Never could stand the way Grace sings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-06 12:31 by Beaver.

Date: June 6, 2008 12:40

nashville
Who's in the band now from the original days Kantner, Freiburg and Balin?. I hear that the female singer is very good but no-one will ever replace Grace - the best female rock singer next to Patti Smith in my opinion.

I see that they are playing the 100 club in London which is a great venue but not very big so tix will go fast. Pity they are playing Blows Against The Empire 'cos i never liked that album at all.

Andy

<<< Pity they are playing Blows Against The Empire 'cos i never liked that album at all >>>

Funny that, cos that's what caught my eye and why I want to go see them. Each to theirs I guess.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 6, 2008 15:35

Hi paulywaul,

I saw them when they were over here two years ago at Dingwalls. The did Blows Against The Empire - one of my fave all time albums - on one night and Surrealistic Pillow the other. For those shows they had Marty Balin but these ones will only have Kantner and Frieberg. But they play well and if Diana Mangano (pictured) is still the vocalist she does a fair impression of Grace Slick. Thankfully they don't do any of the post Red Octopus stuff. Even that album pushing it but it did have Miracles, I suppose.

Date: June 6, 2008 15:58

Silver Dagger
Hi paulywaul,

I saw them when they were over here two years ago at Dingwalls. The did Blows Against The Empire - one of my fave all time albums - on one night and Surrealistic Pillow the other. For those shows they had Marty Balin but these ones will only have Kantner and Frieberg. But they play well and if Diana Mangano (pictured) is still the vocalist she does a fair impression of Grace Slick. Thankfully they don't do any of the post Red Octopus stuff. Even that album pushing it but it did have Miracles, I suppose.

Diana Mangano, after singing with them for a good 15 years, has left the band. The new girl's resume includes singing with Big Brother and The Holding Company, and I think she also played Janis Joplin in a Broadway show. I guess she does a good Grace Slick impersonation, too.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: June 6, 2008 15:59

They suck...big time.

Date: June 6, 2008 16:11

Just to clear up any confusion here, the band that tours under the name Jefferson Starship has no connection WHATSOEVER to the touring travesty known as "Starship Featuring Mickey Thomas". Paul Kantner's Jefferson Starship doesn't play any of the crap. (Well, they played "Jane" last time I saw them, but that's about it.) Mostly, they play classic Jefferson AIRPLANE material. Last time I saw them (2006) it was in an old ballroom in Detroit. Maybe 300 to 400 people in a room that holds about 1000. Tix were $50. For that, we got in early for the soundcheck, got right up front and center for a good look at Diana, got pictures and autographs at a post-show meet and greet, and got a surprisingly well-recorded, mastered, and produced live double CD of the soundboard in the mail. Not bad.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 6, 2008 18:38

Not too much of a fan, but I really like "Miracles" - some the sexiest lyrics ever (sorry, BluzDude) and "Rock Music".

If only you believe like I believe, baby
We'd get by
If only you believe in miracles, baby
So would I
We'd get by
So would I.

I might have to move heaven and earth to prove
It to you, baby
So we're makin' love and you feel the power
And I feel the power
Then there's really nothing that we can't do
If we wanted to, baby
We could exist on the stars
It'd be so easy
All we gotta do
Is get a little faith in you
Oh, I've been (to) so many places
I've seen some things
I know, love is the answer
Keeps holding this world together
Ain't nothing better
Ain't nothing better
And all the answers to our prayers
Hell , it's the same everywheres, baby
Nothing ever breaks up the heart
Only tears give you away
Then you're right where I found ya
With my arms around ya
Oh baby, baby, baby, love is a magic word, yeah
Few ever find in a lifetime
But from that very first look in your eyes
I knew you and I had but one heart
Only our bodies were apart
That was so easy, so easy
I had a taste of the real world
When I went down on you, girl.

We'd get by
So would I
We'd get by
So would I.

I can hear windmills and rainbows
Whenever you're talkin' to me
I feel like swirling and dancin'
Whenever you're walking with me
You ripple like a river when I touch you
When I pluck your body like a string
When I start dancin' inside ya
Oh baby, you make me wanna sing
Yeah, baby, baby, baby, baby
Oh yeah, all right
Baby, we're sure doin' it tonight
Everytime you come by, let me try
Pretty, please sugar on it
That's how I like it
I can't even believe it, with you
It's like having every dream I ever wanted
Come true
I picked up your vibes
You know it opened my eyes
But I'm still dreamin' yeah
And you're right where I found ya
With my arms around ya.

Refrain (2x)

I like that "taste of the real world when I went down on you" line! Also the "dancing inside you" line.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 6, 2008 22:24

we built this city of ROCK AND ROLL

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 6, 2008 22:33

Yik confused smiley

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 7, 2008 04:12

Wonderdrug does a mean remake of White Rabbit!

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: June 7, 2008 07:53

Jefferson Starship is not good without Grace.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 7, 2008 09:04

the male lead singer is a prick. i met him in the 80s.

Date: June 7, 2008 15:38

Elmo Lewis
Not too much of a fan, but I really like "Miracles" - some the sexiest lyrics ever (sorry, BluzDude) and "Rock Music".

I like that song, too. In fact, the first time I visited San Francisco, I couldn't get that song out of my head the whole time I was there. I don't know why. It wasn't like I had heard it on the radio and it stuck. It just popped in on its own accord and wouldn't go away. It must have just been floating around in the air out there!

When you see the current version of Jefferson Starship, you might see Marty or you might not. If Marty is there, you'll get 'Miracles' and several other mid-70s hits. You've heard of 'date movies'? This is a good 'date concert'. Marty's material has a very romantic quality to it. For a guy who came out of the folk music scene, he's got an amazingly soulful voice. If he isn't there, then it's basically Paul's show and what you'll get is something that could more accurately be called Jefferson Airplane of the 21st Century. Lots of late 60s Airplane classics.

Date: June 7, 2008 17:10

tatters
Elmo Lewis

I like that song, too. In fact, the first time I visited San Francisco, I couldn't get that song out of my head the whole time I was there. I don't know why. It wasn't like I had heard it on the radio and it stuck. It just popped in on its own accord and wouldn't go away. It must have just been floating around in the air out there!

When you see the current version of Jefferson Starship, you might see Marty or you might not. If Marty is there, you'll get 'Miracles' and several other mid-70s hits. You've heard of 'date movies'? This is a good 'date concert'. Marty's material has a very romantic quality to it. For a guy who came out of the folk music scene, he's got an amazingly soulful voice. If he isn't there, then it's basically Paul's show and what you'll get is something that could more accurately be called Jefferson Airplane of the 21st Century. Lots of late 60s Airplane classics.

<<< then it's basically Paul's show and what you'll get is something that could more accurately be called Jefferson Airplane of the 21st Century. Lots of late 60s Airplane classics >>>

Yes, I rather think that's how it's being touted and that's what it'll be. Fine by me.

Date: June 7, 2008 18:13

I barely like the Airplane. Overrated burnouts.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 7, 2008 22:14

The Airplane generally blows to me, but I like "Runaway" too. Maybe I'm just a fan of Marty's.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 8, 2008 02:13

Airplane's got its moments, but Starship is a crass sellout.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home