Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

One Of My Absolute Favorites - PWF (1989)
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 4, 2008 22:49

Montreal 1989.. Sorry to take up space but after some 21,000 posts
I might dare to shout it out like this? smiling smiley .. Great rendition anyhow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-04 22:49 by Baboon Bro.

Re: One Of My Absolute Favorites - PWF (1989)
Date: June 4, 2008 23:24

Ok. Anyone against?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 4, 2008 23:28

PWF...yes it's a great PWF. MC and CL should have kept quiet though,theyspoil what's going on

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-04 23:35 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 4, 2008 23:29

Yeah, me. smiling smiley
Honestly (I know no one will accept me after what I'm gonna say here) I don't love their works with Oldham. Not because of Oldham, just the style of the band. Stones started for me in 1968 with amazing Beggars Banquet. winking smiley (Or JJF).

But their older stuff like LSTNT, Under My Thumb (OK, I got Aftermath, despite hating PIB...), Ruby Tuesday and many others are... charming. Songs you need to know, not necessarily love, but I listen to them sometimes.

Renditions of this songs... Lost feelings of the original works. Sorry! The only one I love is 2006 LSTNT (played with She's So Cold it could me a nice medley).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-04 23:29 by Amused.

Date: June 4, 2008 23:41

Yeah, t h a t was really against. But crisp to see we have various views here.
Can understand Erik's words, CL aint always at his best in those slow-pace-tunes.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: June 4, 2008 23:45

Fine PWF-version!

Amused, lots of the early stuff is more than "charming"! E.g. "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?", I love the intensity:

Date: June 4, 2008 23:50

Yeah Bro, too many cooks will spoil the soup.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 5, 2008 00:02

You can't screw that song up. A great job. I want to hear the opening bars of Satisfaction as soon as PWF is over - just like Hot Rocks. The 89 tour was great!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 5, 2008 00:05

What's with the clothes? Damn I'm glad they don't dress like that anymore. Matt Clifford looks like a total dork. Chuck is playing elevator look at the clouds pretty chime dingly dangly crap - that is so not The Rolling Stones.

However, for some reason, I liked the B-side. Does that make any sense?

Date: June 5, 2008 00:07

Remind me what the B-side is. skip?

Date: June 5, 2008 00:10

The B side of Highwire, Play With Fire from Clemson 11.26.89....I liked that one as well, in the early 90s.
edit...well the cd-singles of Highwire anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-05 00:17 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 5, 2008 00:12

80s was the 80s but I still think the Stones sounded real good here.
In general. One of the strongest fortresses against the newromantic bollocks threatenin' then (and now) to take over.

Date: June 5, 2008 00:13

Yeah, sorry, the single I have is Ruby Tuesday, one of the B-sides from the Flashpoint singles. I had no idea that was prepared for Flashpoint and I found that single. I think it also had Undercover Of The Night (with overdubs) on it as well as YCAGWYW for some lame reason.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 5, 2008 00:35

I'm in two minds about this - a favourite of mine too, great to see it played live so recently, Mick's vocal is spot on, but I agree with skipstone - too much pretty-pretty filler going on from MC & CL. PWF absolutely shouldn't sound "charming" - just listen to the original, recorded at about 4 a.m. at the end of a long session, spare and bare and dark and menacing right down to that little rattlesnake-hiss from the tambourine at the end.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 5, 2008 00:39

A fabulous addition to the 1989 tour. Pity they dropped it afterwards. There's a really nice pro shot version from Toronto early in the tour doing the rounds too.

Date: June 5, 2008 00:40

Less fire at age 46 than age 21?
But as ya said GL, spot on.
Question is - how would it/does it sound these days?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 5, 2008 10:49

Man, I love this band. It's great to have Mick and Keith together in the opening and then everyone else coming in. Bill is great too.
I agree that the keyboards are over dramatizing it a bit, but hey, it was the end of the decade where keyboards ruled the music business. It made the song a bit Simple Mindslike, but I guess the effect was welcome in the big stadiums they were playing at.

The original version of the song is perfect.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 5, 2008 11:15

Who is that priest fronting them? Stolen from which church? Say a little prayer for him. grinning smiley Nice gospel tune...

Seriously, I think Mick has sometimes difficulties to relate some of his old songs (especially '64 to '67 era), and to find a right 'persona' to perform them.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-05 11:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 5, 2008 11:33

Really gorgeous, until the synths come on. Don't they know? Plastics spoil the fire!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-05 11:36 by Greenblues.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 5, 2008 13:36

It's a great song no doubt, but most ballads from the 89/90 tour wasn't so good IMO.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 5, 2008 15:48

Well, hindsight is all very well.....and 80's style music has aged badly. However, at the time, it was quite something to hear this one dusted off. There were a lot of songs on that tour which hadnt been played live for over two decades (or ever before) and this was one we didnt really expect.

If only the Stones took those sort of chances now with old songs which werent mega-hits.

Date: June 5, 2008 15:57

I didn't like the way Keith ripped the acoustic strings to shreds.

How many "special" songs did they play on that tour ("Special" meaning songs that were only played on that tour. So PIB don't count even though it was a long time since they did that one at that point)? Play With Fire, 2000 Light Years From Home and what else? There were some more I think.....

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 5, 2008 16:08

Paint It Black hadnt been played since 1967
2000 Light years had never been played live
Play With Fire hadnt been played since 1966
Ruby Tuesday hadnt been played since 1967
Bitch was last played in 1973
Little Red Rooster last played 1977
IORR last played 1976
Midnight Rambler last played 1976
Dead Flowers last played 1976
Gimme Shelter last played 1976

Add to all that, any songs from UC, DW or SW were being performed live for the first time.

So, it was basically a new show compared to their last tour in 1981-82, a tour which, in itself, saw an incredible amount of songs which had not been played in 10-15 years too.

Date: June 5, 2008 16:16

I see you haven't yet updated the setlists page on RocksOff (I use that a lot, but 2007 is missing).
If we count in new songs, covers (If any) and rarely performed songs from the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour and compare it to the new songs, covers and rarely performed songs of the A Bigger Bang Tour, what's the difference (If it's not too much trouble. Seems like a lot of work for a mere discussion). smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 5, 2008 20:14

I think you'll find that, as far as promoting a new record goes, they did a much better job in 1989-1990 with new songs. Not certain but I don't think they played as many songs from Vodoo and Bridges as they did for Wheels.

The 7th Of July boot - Almost Hear You Sigh is pretty good.

I thought Ruby Tuesday sounded terrible - Flashpoint, live, bootleg, IMAX.

Date: June 6, 2008 00:50

JumpingKentFlash
I see you haven't yet updated the setlists page on RocksOff (I use that a lot, but 2007 is missing).

Yes..I cant be arsed...parts of 2006 are missing too and theres some corrections to be done. I might get around to it soon. I'm glad you find it useful. I just need a bit of motivation and free time to work on it again.

JumpingKentFlash
If we count in new songs, covers (If any) and rarely performed songs from the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour and compare it to the new songs, covers and rarely performed songs of the A Bigger Bang Tour, what's the difference (If it's not too much trouble. Seems like a lot of work for a mere discussion). smiling smiley

The Bigger Bang tour featured more songs in total than the Stones had ever performed before (a couple more than Licks), but that in itself is a bit misleading as unlike Licks (which had the three shows concept) a lot of those songs were only played maybe 3-4 times or less. ABB also had a higher proportion of songs which were played pretty much EVERY show.

A major difference was that ABB didnt have that many songs (if we exclude the songs from the new album) that either hadnt been performed before or which were returning to the show after a very long absence. On previous tours that was quite a common occurrence, but on ABB you had songs like As Tears Go By, Sway, She Was Hot (none of which were played THAT regularly). There may have been one or two more, but those were basically the major ones.

Date: June 6, 2008 01:12

skipstone
I think you'll find that, as far as promoting a new record goes, they did a much better job in 1989-1990 with new songs. Not certain but I don't think they played as many songs from Vodoo and Bridges as they did for Wheels.

SW - they played 7 out of 12. (the exceptions being Hearts for Sale, Break the Spell, Continental Drift, Hold On to Your Hat and Slipping Away which was finally debuted in 1995). They started off playing around 3 songs per show and gradually added others, to the extent where it was usually about 5 per show.

VL - they played 8 out of 15. (exceptions were New faces, Sweethearts, Jugular, Rainbows, Break it down, Thru & thru, Disposition). Moon Is Up was played once (Shepherds Bush). Thru & thru was finally played live for the first time at MSG in Sept. 2002. At the start of the VL tour they were playing 6-7 new songs most nights. In addition to the 8 VL songs they also played a non-album b-side (Jump On Top of Me) at one of the Amsterdam club shows in May 1995.

BTB - they played 10 out of 13 (all except Gunface, Too Tight, Always Suffering). How Can I Stop, Already Over Me, Juiced and Lowdown were only played 1-2 times each, though. ASMB and Out of Control were played from the start of the tour. Flip The Switch, Thief In the Night, YDHTMI and Saint of Me were added a few weeks later. After the first couple of months, they generally played about 5 new songs per show.

ABB - 8 out of 18. Rough Justice, ONNYA were regulars. This Place is Empty and Rain Fall Down were maybe semi regular. Streets of Love was a regular for much of the 2006 European leg and the autumn US leg that followed. Infamy and Back of My Hand were semi regular on the first US leg, althoug BOMH made a few 2006 appearances too. It Wont Be Long was played twice in November 2005. None of the rest were performed at all - bizarrely they released Biggest Mistake as a single during the 2006 European tour yet didnt even play it. Most songs played at one show - 5 (Vienna 2006). Least songs played - Zero (both Beacon shows in 2006 and Madrid 2007). In the first part of the tour, they usually played 3-4 new songs. That gradually dropped as the tour progressed, especially after the first year or so, by which time it was usually down to 1-2.

To sum it up, since they returned to touring in 1989, of the four studio albums theyve released, the one they regularly promoted the most in concert was Voodoo Lounge, followed by Bridges. Then Steel Wheels and lastly A Bigger Bang.

If I'm not mistaken, when you compare record sales of those albums, the pattern is identical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-06 01:15 by Gazza.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 6, 2008 04:50

Ah yes 89-90, the last great tour. They were still at the top of their game. The guitar interplay was outstanding to say the least, Keef and Woody hardly ever missed a lick. They haven't come close since live in my opinion. Unleash the dogs!

Date: June 6, 2008 05:32

Why have they not played "Play With Fire" since February 1990????That makes no sense to me unless they're saving it for next time.

Date: June 6, 2008 06:19

Good points Gazza. And you're right - it certainly does seem that the better they sell, the more they play. I saw the December 10th SW show. They played Sad Sad Sad, Almost Hear You Sigh, Rock And A Hard Place, Terrifying, Mixed Emotions and Can’t Be Seen (according to nzentgraf.de).

They could have dropped Rock - it would have been much better.

I was at 2 Voodoo shows - East Lansing (You Got Me Rocking, Sparks Will Fly, Out Of Tears, I Go Wild, The Worst and Love Is Strong) and New Orleans (exact same songs).

6 songs from a new record the 2 tours I saw. Much better than the 2 they did for the last 18 legs of Bang.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home