Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sad story about our LPs
Posted by: jazwec ()
Date: May 30, 2008 00:03

Hey,
Im reading this "Talk" for a qute long time, but I have registered just a couple months ago. This is my first post and I wanted to dedicate it to our LPs. I just wanted to share you this story which I have discovered a years ago and which makes me really sad :[
My father allways was, and actually is, a huge fan od RS - thats how I get to them, because I am only 17 [now probably even bigger fan =] ]...So, about 20 years ago, he has borrowed all his 12 stones LPs to somebody -I hope this was his really good friend - and he didnt get it back. Maybe he just stole them, or maybe he moved to another country. Whatever. And now my father just cant remember who that was. I was asking him so many times, I am still asking all his friends when I meet them - but nobody knows :[ Its a pitty. I would love to get them back, but I think, life sucks its impossible to do it now - after planty of years. I just cant understand 2 things. How can somebody just stole 12 LPs from a friend and how can somebody forgot a thing like this!!! But, last year Ive bought an autographed "Tattoo You" from eBay - so thats a little Satisfaction =]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-30 00:05 by jazwec.

Re: Sad story about our LPs
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 30, 2008 00:05

Buy them back on ebay. Shouldn't cost that much?

Probably a few on this board can help?

I can't think of any dups I have at the mo?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 30, 2008 00:05

That is not good, but it has happened to most of us, I would think.

JR

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 30, 2008 00:08

It's even worse when it comes to books.
I have most of my CDs ripped to my computer, so after all I can listen to them at last, but you know books... You borrow and borrow and give away and give away... It's normal, and fun. You can run across some great books by this "trades"... But sometimes you'd like to read a book you lent someone long time ago... And you ask lotta people, no one knows...

Yeah, we all know this pain... It's good to have a notebook with all trades written carefully down!

Date: May 30, 2008 00:09

you guys are really fast - Ive edited my first post a little bit cause I realised I did not say anything as introduction to the board.
yeah, Im thinking about buying them back on eBay. it will cost something, for sure, and it will not be cheap. but that money are worth [i have never knew how to use worth in a sentence] having their "discography" on vinyls...will start when i get some money...will work during summer for sure..

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 30, 2008 00:11

Its a great thread, as once in a while, I find old lps stonen from me in a local used record store....

JR

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 30, 2008 00:14

It's happened to me before (though not on that scale) but it does leave a very nasty taste in the mouth.

Worse still, was when people scratched the albums before giving them back!

Hanging is too good for these people.

Posted by: Ksenia Fr ()
Date: May 30, 2008 00:30

I'm 17 too and I have expierienced something similar - in the 70s and 80s my mum was recording plenty of broadcasts from Radio Luxembourg, Voice of America and Channel 3 of Polish Radio. This included most of classic songs from Chuck Berry and Little Richard to Aerosmith. When my mother was away for a while in early 90s my grandma tought that nobody would listen to this in the age of cassetes and CDs and threw all the tapes away leaving me unconscious of Led Zeppelin and Bowie's Berlin Trilogy until I foud them on YouTube and Last.fm

Date: May 30, 2008 00:35

I know all that songs are available on the internet, I have all that albums on CDs. But I will miss things as Sticky Fingers with a real and working zip or Undercover with revealable triangle =]

Posted by: Ksenia Fr ()
Date: May 30, 2008 00:59

jazwec
I know all that songs are available on the internet, I have all that albums on CDs. But I will miss things as Sticky Fingers with a real and working zip or Undercover with revealable triangle =]

I miss vinyls and tapes (those tapes especially) too! My point was that one bad decision caused 10+ years long break in my musical education.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 30, 2008 09:46

Rule no. 1 I DON'T BORROW LPs - that is the only reason man has created CDs, so you can borrow them instead.

That said, if it ever happens that I borrow a stones CD (normally if I have to I rather burn a copy and have lots of blanks just to avoid the risk of being forced to borrow the original), I'm worse than an elephant, a mafia money collector, the tax office, you name it, I WILL NEVER FORGET!

C

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: May 30, 2008 10:00

How could anyone lend another a vinyl record. No one gets to even touch mine, even with homogenised,pastureised and sanitised white gloves. I may let them look from a distance.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 30, 2008 10:09

I bet most of us have lost treasured and subsequently scarce vinyl that way.
Thing is, now we'll protect the old vinyls with our life.
When current they were easily replacable. I now think back in horror to the times in the 70s when about 25% of my record collection might have been lent to mates or left with aquaintances at any one time ! It wasn't an issue. If an album disappeared or wore out...you bought another copy.
How many copies of SF or Exile did you wear out on crappy record decks in the early seventies ?

Fortunately for jazwec, they can mostyly be replaced without too much pain or expense. Routine later pressings of most Stones albums aren't silly money and still turn up at markets and charity shops for peanuts on a lucky day ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-30 10:12 by Spud.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 30, 2008 13:17

My ex put mine in the garbage...Like 200 hundred of 'em

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: May 30, 2008 13:53

leteyer
My ex put mine in the garbage...Like 200 hundred of 'em

Geez, some people are..... Someone could become my ex only for that, and if someone throws out an LP collection just like that there's always more bad stuff to be expected...

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: May 30, 2008 14:07

Indeed it is very sad when people take advantage of generousity! You can always buy stuff back but the emotion just isn't the same...

I am very lucky to have the UK mono vinyl collection of a late but great IORR member. Other copies of those records would just be any other copy, but his copies are priceless to me. His effort in collecting and preserving them lives on.

Date: May 30, 2008 15:40

And you do get very attached to the original pressings...which despite all the scratches and abuse still usually sound better than later pressings.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 30, 2008 18:54

I managed to get all of the vinyl LPs of the Stones except Between The Buttons and Emotional Rescue. I never did get Buttons on CD. I was buying the vinly LPs for cheap when the CD LPs came out. I now have almost all of the CD LPs but did not get all of the ABKCO releases nor have I bought any of the ABKCO re-releases.

A friend of mine has my vinyl LPs, including all the 12" singles...I've just told him to hang on to them.

You (whoever) can find just about any of their albums in used record stores. I guess it just depends on where you are.

Date: May 30, 2008 19:06

Don't bother with any Digitally Disastered ...sorry, Remastered vinyls.
They're all shocking !

Posted by: colmywaykurtz ()
Date: May 31, 2008 02:00

My tragedies have usually been connected with people being careless in moves. Bought my own place finally, so that shouldn't happen anymore.

That said, isn't there still a small amount of music being released on vinyl? Seems I heard KISS had released an effort of just a few years ago on VINYL! as well as on CD.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 31, 2008 02:04

Sometimes things happen by accident . I was living in a house with 3 women on Cape Cod in 1979 . When our lease ended and we parted ways I ended up with one of the ladies copies of "Frampton Comes Alive " LP . 4 years ago I decided to see whatever happened to that woman . I really liked her a lot . I contacted her old University and they forwarded a letter to her mother and she in turn forwarded the letter to Christine . She now lives in Ireland and is happily married with 2 teenaged sons . But this story has a happy ending , she visits her family in the States often and spends a lot of her summers on Olde Cape Cod and I was able to see her again and I returned her LP to her . We correspond regularly now . She's still a wonderful woman .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-31 02:05 by boston2006.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 31, 2008 07:04

Are the vinyl ABKCO Remasters reissues mastered for vinyl or are they the CD remasters just pressed on 180 gram vinyl?

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: May 31, 2008 08:28

got a lot oc cassette tapes ,,what to do with them ? confused smiley

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 31, 2008 09:41

got a few dupes if interested

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 31, 2008 12:59

Anybody knows what the quality is of the new LP releases that I see in the shops lately ?

Date: June 1, 2008 17:33

The quality of the LPs is fine...but they suffer from the same problems of modern mastering which afflict today's mainstream digital, formats [CD or DS].
There's too much compression and too little real dynamic range. Everything has to be loud on a modern recording!
It's all geared to the lowest common denominator and the lowest fidelity.
THe vinyl record will still sound better than the CD though... on any half decent record player.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 1, 2008 17:51

Thanks Spud for the info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home