Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ellen Foley covering "Stupid Girl," 1979
Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 30, 2008 10:43

here's a cover I didn't know about. Mick Ronson and at least some other members of Ian Hunter's band at the time play on the recording, though Ronson is not in the video. So it's a great backing, in ways much better than the original, and there's something cool about her, though her vocals often go over the top.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdeDjd88TqI is the link, if the embedding's not working.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-30 10:45 by cc.

Re: Ellen Foley covering "Stupid Girl," 1979
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 31, 2008 19:48

Thanks for this! I had never heard about her and I think this was awesome. I like her singing (not to mention her looks) and don't think it goes over the top or that it sucks (as some people wrote in the youtube thread). I love the Raw Power-esque backing as well. It never occured to me that Stupid Girl would work so well as a punk/rock 'n' roll song. But then again, 60s pop has much in common with the new wave of the late 70s.

Btw, the embedded video didn't work for me; only the link. (So don't let the broken vid scare you off.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-31 21:32 by LieB.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 31, 2008 20:34

Thanks for this video, she's terrific :-)
I mean singing... She's very beautiful (not so many girls I love from late 70s!) anyway smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 31, 2008 21:00

Both Ellen Foley's first two albums are excellent. Stonesy kinda rock. Same planet as Sheryl Crow. The second album was written for her by Joe Strummer and Mick Jones. Jonesy was going out with her at the time.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 31, 2008 22:24

glad you liked it, fellas-- I'd actually say she's much punkier than Sheryl Crow (or the Stones), through the Clash/Ronson/Hunter connections. Though she apparently went into the cabaret circuit later on.

and her most well-known appearance is the unfortunate duet with Meat Loaf.

but this cut is a hot, grungy rocker!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home