Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Grateful Dead with Duane Allman on three songs on Wolfgangs Vault
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 25, 2008 02:03

Truly inspiring...Duane on 1st three songs...

[concerts.wolfgangsvault.com]

JR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-25 16:49 by stone-relics.

Re: Grateful Dead with Duane Allman on three songs on Wolfgangs Vault
Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: May 25, 2008 20:24

Duane's performance leaves the Dead in the dust. The original lineup of the Allman Brothers Band was one of the greatest American small groups ever, right up there with some of Miles Davis's vintage groups and the Louis Armstrong Hot Five and Hot Seven.

Granted, with Pigpen in ill health and Mickey Hart having just quit, early 1971 is a transitional period for the Dead. But they came back strong at the end of the year, when Keith Godchaux joined. By the time they hit Europe the following year, they were onto a new phase of improvisational brilliance. Check out Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 26, 2008 05:49

Agreed, but the bad part was with Keith Godchaux came is wife, who is a horrendous vocalist! Shrill is being kind, and you will notice in most of the From the Vault series she is scantly heard, way back in the mix. Stepping Out is fantastic!

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: May 26, 2008 11:19

sweet, cheers!

apparently the Godchauxs were an alcoholic couple par horribilis...

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: May 26, 2008 17:15

In his first few years with the Dead, Keith Godchaux fit in really well. Some of those extended jams from 1972 to 1974 are just blissful. But, his arrival was a mixed blessing because his wife came with him.

A few years ago, my wife and I were driving somewhere listening to the five-disc soundtrack to The Grateful Dead Movie. When they got to the jam section at the end of Scarlet Begonias, my wife said, "Who is this chick, and what is she doing intruding on my space jam?" "That, my dear, is the infamous Donna."

Donna Jean was a dismal waste of oxygen. Yoko Ono dressed as a secretary. So what did the Dead do? They gave a bigger role in the band a few years later by giving her the third harmony spot that Phil Lesh used to occupy. Big mistake! When the Godchauxs left, nobody missed them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home