Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: New Orleans recommendation for Hotel
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 24, 2008 06:51

Can anyone recommend a cool unique hotel in New Orleans for the summer? Preferably close to the music scene...
THANKS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 06:54 by whitem8.

Re: OT: New Orleans recommendation for Hotel
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 24, 2008 09:23

Having been there twice in the last four years including Mardi Gras last year I can wholeheartedly recommend The Royal Omni in the French Quarter. It has a great rock'n'roll history and had a Led Zepp song named after it on Presence. It's a block away from Bourbon Street but not so near that you can't get a decent night's sleep. You are never far away from any of the action - just a few minutes walk from the 'Sippi and also near The House Of Blues, a great music venue. There's a great record shop opposite The House of Blues too. A must visit venue. Very jealous. It's taken over from San Fran as my favourite city in the world. London's pretty cool too but I grew up there so it doesn't count. BTW, be careful when you leave the French Quarter as the crime rate is high and you may get mugged if you flash your camera or wallet. I found the best bars away from Bourbon Street which was a bit too touristy although Fritzells is cool if you like old time jazz. The best part of town for me is Frenchman's and there's a cool bar there called The Spotted Cat - Frenchman Street. It's opposite one of the best bars in the world called dba which has about 300 beers from all over the world including sledgehammer Belgian brews.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 14:04 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: April 24, 2008 09:24

royal sonesta is a good one too. Right in the middle of everything.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 24, 2008 10:00

Haven't been there for awhile but last time stayed at the "W" hotel (Starwood Group) and really liked it. Check [www.tripadvisor.com] for prices, exact locations, photo's, and client comments/ratings - it's a great website for hotels the world over......

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 24, 2008 13:03

[www.neworleansonline.com]

The music scene is all over town, but the French Quarter & downtown are pretty central to anything that's going on.
A good bar to meet real French Quarter locals is Harry's Corner on Dumaine & Chartres St.
The Chart Room on the corner of Bienville & Chartres is a great place to cool off after a show at the House of Blues, just a couple of blocks around the corner from HOB.
If you find yourself needing a ride somewhere, call United Cabs, 504-522-9771.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 25, 2008 19:23

I second the Omni, perfect location.

Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: April 25, 2008 19:33

There used to be music all over town (I lived there years ago and lived uptown in the Garden District). I'm not sure if it's still around but there used to be this great place for music called 'Bennie's'. It's on the corner of Camp & Valence. Keith has been there! In the 60 Minutes piece with Ed Bradley (1994?) they show Keith and his bodyguard going into the club.

And when you drink beer in New Orleans, be sure to drink Dixie!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 25, 2008 20:18

We stayed at Chateau LeMoyne a couple years ago.
[www.hiclneworleanshotelsite.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: April 25, 2008 21:05

I usually look for a bar with enough room to sleep on the floor. Why waste money on a hotel? smoking smiley

Date: April 26, 2008 02:44

mcparty
And when you drink beer in New Orleans, be sure to drink Dixie!

Hard to find in the bars anymore! Pick some up at Rouse's grocery (used to be A&P) on Royal & St. Peter St.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 27, 2008 08:39

Take the streetcar past Tulane University to the Camellia Grill. Great food, fascinating people. You'll want to go back.

Date: April 27, 2008 11:02

THANKS everyone for the great recommendations. I will be there for four days in July with my dad and brother, and want to be near the music. The Omni looks special!

Date: April 27, 2008 15:34

Here is a couple of good links for the music around town:

[listings.bestofneworleans.com]

[www.offbeat.com]

And do not forget to save room for a Lucky Dog!

Date: April 28, 2008 03:46

Wow! The Omni is asking $279 US a night! EEEK! That seems very expensive. Will have to look elsewhere...

Date: April 28, 2008 04:31

Hey, whitem8!
I don't know much about the local hotels, never had to use them since I live here, but perhaps a bed & breakfast might be a good option.
Check out this place [www.rbgh.com]
It is in the residential area of the French Quarter, within walking distance of the entire Quarter and the Faubourg Marigny.
Once again, I cannot recommend a particular place over another, but this could be an option.

Date: April 28, 2008 05:13

Thanks so much! Not sure if my Dad and Brother would be into a B and B, I love them!
I was also recommended the Cornstalk Hotel and the Maison St. Charled, both in the French Quarter.
Thanks again! I am looking forward to visiting your frare city! My first time! I am from Detroit, but living in Singapore and have the summers off and come back to the states...and am always looking for a good trip to take my brother and dad on ...thanks again!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 28, 2008 06:12

This is what New Orleans is all about...except for the music.

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 28, 2008 21:45

Bienville House was is a fairly reasonable nice place in a good section (at least when I stayed there it was reasonable).

Date: May 7, 2008 04:56

Hey whitem8, how are you getting to New Orleans?

Date: May 7, 2008 05:23

Flying from Detroit...going on July 3rd, haven't booked the ticket yet...waiting to hear from my Dad and Bro... and I have to fly out from NO on the 7th to LA to fly back to Asia.

Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: May 7, 2008 20:08

Be sure to read 'Confederacy of Dunces' before you go!!!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: May 7, 2008 20:14

Any hotel downtown or near the quarter is good. I doubt you'll spend much time there anyway. All the cabs are only a few dollars and for the most part you can walk anywhere.

The idea of a good bar floor will be more and more pleasant the later the night gets!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 7, 2008 20:20

whitem8
Wow! The Omni is asking $279 US a night! EEEK! That seems very expensive. Will have to look elsewhere...

check this: [www.ichotelsgroup.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Date: May 8, 2008 02:55

whitem8
Flying from Detroit...going on July 3rd

So you're going to be here on the Fourth of July? Perhaps that's why you're finding high hotel prices.

Here's another link to help you plan your holiday:

[www.go4thontheriver.com]

It's not updated for this year yet, so keep checking it.

Date: May 8, 2008 05:11

THANKS!
Yeah I am sure that is why, fourth of July...but I notice that even on non holiday periods the halfway decent places are still quite expensive...I had read there were great deals to be had because they are trying to promote post Katrina...
But you know you only live once! AND just do it and enjoy, and I will pay for it later:-)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 8, 2008 07:28

Benny's, and it had a few other names, is now a house.

The interview with Keith was done at the Maple Leaf I've been told. Never saw the footage of him going into a bar.

Ronnie got up on stage with Stavin' Chain at Tips and played Grayson's Tele for two versions of Hideaway. Mick and Keith were in the crowd.

Under 20,000 at the Supe for that tour, Voodoo. Probably the reason they've never come back. Bought my ticket the day of the show. Sat pretty much where I felt like it. The show was OK.

Date: May 8, 2008 13:01

whitem8
...I had read there were great deals to be had because they are trying to promote post Katrina...

Tourism in N.O. is almost at the the level it was before Katrina, down only slightly now.
The local news reported about 90% fill rates at the local hotels during Jazz Fest and Mardi Gras.
The Fourth of July doesn't draw as many people from out of town, but I would still suggest booking soon to get the hotel you really want.

Date: May 9, 2008 04:30

Just found this, whitem8.
Site with hundreds of high quality photos of New Orleans.

[www.asergeev.com]

Date: May 9, 2008 06:03

WOW! Superb! Thanks Edith Grove! The atmosphere is incredible in so many of those shots... Reminds me of Interview with a Vampire...

Date: May 24, 2008 13:05

Hey, whitem8, made your reservation yet?
I just thought of this place. Looks like they have fairly decent rates.

[www.melrosegroup.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home