Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Indiana Jones 4 - The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull.
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 25, 2008 14:39

I saw this movie yesterday. Was really looking forward to see it. For me, it's been one of those movies that I've been longing to see for many years. But......

(From here on I'll write spoilers, so don't read on if you want to be surprised when seeing it).

It absolutely sucked. Frickin' aliens in an Indy movie? Come on. That was the ending of the movie. A big flying saucer appears and Cate Blanchett (Always good in any role, and always worth a look) is killed by an alien. WTF!!!!
Shia LeBeouf, the supposed super talent, which he isn't, makes good of a role that has no depth. John Hurt has always been a good actor, but his role is almost as bad as Kurt Russell's role in Soldier (Trust me. That's pretty bad). Harrison Ford is good as Indy. He'll always be.
The Indiana Jones movies was copied in the Mummy movies. Indy 4 copies the Mummy movies. A copy of a copy is never good.
I remember reading that Spielberg and Lucas rejected many scripts for Indy 4. I'd like to see what they threw away. It must've been REALLY bad.

I blame it all on George Lucas. This guy should never be allowed to make any movies again ever. He should be placed in a theater with pliers holding his eyes open to watch Gigli 24 hours a day. And burn his scrotum too. He ruined the Star Wars series with the royally sucking new trilogy. Now he ruined the Indy trilogy too. I'm not for capital punishment, but I really start to run with the idea after seeing Indy 4.

JumpingKentFlash

Re: OT: Indiana Jones 4 - The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull.
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 25, 2008 14:47

I like it. You know, the same oldschool as all the previous movies. And Blanchett was killed the same way as in one of the prev Indianas, when the Nazis wanted to know everything and you know... Riders Of the Lost Arc. Or whatever is it called in yer country.

The only bad thing about the movie was script. The story. You know nothing, and you wonder not what the Crystal Skull really is and how does it work, but whether Indy will shot another guy or not.

For me, it's 7/10, because it's still wiser and nicer than most movies of action I've recently seen. Isn't it, Kent? winking smiley

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 25, 2008 14:50

Good grief, is he STILL fighting Nazis all these years later? I'd have assumed he'd moved onto to commies, or Nixon, or something.

Date: May 25, 2008 14:53

Amused
I like it. You know, the same oldschool as all the previous movies. And Blanchett was killed the same way as in one of the prev Indianas, when the Nazis wanted to know everything and you know... Riders Of the Lost Arc. Or whatever is it called in yer country.

The only bad thing about the movie was script. The story. You know nothing, and you wonder not what the Crystal Skull really is and how does it work, but whether Indy will shot another guy or not.

For me, it's 7/10, because it's still wiser and nicer than most movies of action I've recently seen. Isn't it, Kent? winking smiley

For me it's maybe 2 or 3 out of 10. See the bad thing about George Lucas these days is that he thinks along the lines of "If we have the ability to make something, we should". These days you can make everything with CGI. And it's just overkill. Right before Johm Hurt put the crystal skull (Which looked like a plastic skull with tin foil inside) on the crystal alien skeleton I thought: "If that skeleton moves one inch, the movie is bad. And if aliens appear, it's even worse". Crash, boom, bang - My prediction was fulfilled. It sucked major ass.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 25, 2008 15:02

R
Good grief, is he STILL fighting Nazis all these years later? I'd have assumed he'd moved onto to commies, or Nixon, or something.

He's against commies in this one. The film is set in 1957. BTW: He survives an atomic blast (The US nuclear test bombings on that small village they built for it) inside a fridge (That's made of lead) -----> So it seems plausible. But after the bomb blows, he steps out of the fridge and watches the mushroom cloud rise. So Indy is cool enough to not be affected by the nuclear radiation?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: May 25, 2008 15:36

a rolling stones forum????

Date: May 25, 2008 15:41

steffiestones

"OT" means "Off Topic". The "On Topic" being The Rolling Stones and everything that surrounds them. You'll see quite a lot of off topic discussions when nothing happens in the Stones Camp.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: May 25, 2008 16:12

Here´s Indiana chased by a Rolling Stone.
That wold make this thread On Topic smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: May 25, 2008 16:14

mickijaggeroo

ROTFLMAO!!!!! Good one.... grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 25, 2008 20:58

I liked it.

But... The chase scenes are not as memorable as they are in the previous movies. The CGI effects made them harder to believe at times. the flesh eating ants were good though.

I liked how there were aliens. Inidana jones movies have dealt with supernatural forces before, so why not have aliens? and It was interesting that they were from another dimension "the space between spaces" rather than "outer" space.

and I like how it reflected the fifties. , the cold war, anti communism hysteria and there was even a fight with "greasers".

so despite a few things in there that were fake (like surviving in the fridge) its an entertaining movie.

while I wasn't blown away by any of the actors performances I thought they all did a fine job for their role in this movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-25 21:02 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 25, 2008 21:33

Yup, I thought the alien idea was perfect and a very logical area to go. I mean we went from the ark of the covenant, an evil indian cult and then finally the holy grail. What other mythological idea would be left? It's perfect for 1957--for when the movie is set. The Fifties was all about ufo's and aliens. They were everywhere in the movies and they entered the media and minds of the people of the time with the many "sightings."

Indiana surviving the fridge/atomic bomb was a bit of a stretch but there's a percentage of Indiana Jones--as films, that one must think of them as a superhero movie--and not entirely based on reality. If you're dealing with movies that deal with supernatural powers, evil spirits and a 600 year old crusader guarding the Holy Grail--well you gotta leave some grounded reality at the door.

I read a review saying that it would be better to watch the new Indy a second time. Because you've already seen it and are now aware of its "problems"...the second viewing is much easier because you already see them coming and you can allow yourself to focus on the movie instead of trying to embrace what happens on the screen for the first time. I will definitely see it again anyway. It's Indiana Freakin Jones.

My only problem was the ending. (SPOILER SPOILER AHEAD!) I don't mind that Indy and Marion get married. Not at all. Good ending. It's just I felt they rushed it all. I felt like saying "Hey, guys, what's the rush? Where you guys going? Stay a while. Build..build...I ain't going anywhere." To me, the endings to Indiana Jones movies are JUST as important as the chase scenes or the comedy...the ending to Last Crusade makes you want to leap from your chair and cheer. Seeing them ride off into the sunset is beautiful and majestic. THe last shot in Crystal Skull doesn't move me. But the Mutt/Indiana hat moment is a gem.

My favorites in my order:

The Last Crusade
Raiders
Crystal Skull
Temple of Doom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-25 21:34 by Justin.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: May 25, 2008 21:37

JumpingKentFlash
steffiestones

"OT" means "Off Topic". The "On Topic" being The Rolling Stones and everything that surrounds them. You'll see quite a lot of off topic discussions when nothing happens in the Stones Camp.

Sorry, did'n know that, thanks for the information.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 25, 2008 22:00

mickijaggeroo

What Rolling Stone is that? Mick Taylor?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 25, 2008 22:08

5 minutes before the film began, the theater had a power failure. My wife and I were in the lobby waiting for our son to come down from his seats because they cancelled all show. We had the pleasure of talking to Andy Dick for about 5 minutes, who was waiting for his kids, (yes he has 3 children).
We will try again tomorrow.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 25, 2008 22:26

You gotta expect the unexpected in those kinda movies - yep.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 25, 2008 22:38

Damn, I'm sorry to hear it's not so great. Was looking forward to seeing it myself. Thanks to your review I'll save some cash.

Date: May 25, 2008 22:50

frankotero, come on! all the reviews aren't so bad to save 5$ (oh yeah, interesting question - how much does seeing one movie in a cinema cost? In Poland it's 5-7$ (16-20z?).

ratings in the most popular movie portal in Poland, FilmWeb, are 8,15/10 (1693 votes). so...

Date: May 25, 2008 23:01

Rotten Tomatoes has it at around eighty percent positive reviews- of course that is no guarantee that you will like it. Maybe it should be judged the same way we judge the modern Stones albums- judge it against the other movies out there today instead of against the classics like Raider Of The Lost Ark.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-25 23:02 by FrankM.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 25, 2008 23:26

just this minute got back from seeing it.

it sucked, like Mr Sucky sucking on a big ice lolly.

George Lucas and his pal Spielberg need to go away and never make another movie, ever again.

These guys have ruined yet another much loved franchise, with their CGi, aliens, zero-script and continuity errors.

Cate Blanchett plays a character straight out of an Austin Power's movie.
It's fvcked her career, in my eyes.

Lucas and Spielberg, are too rich, too bored and too lazy...they clearly believe in their own publicity, consider themselves, untouchable gods of film making.
How wrong they are.
go away.
stop.
don't come back.

Date: May 25, 2008 23:33

Well I don't know about Lucas but Spielberg has made a couple good ones in the last few years- War Of The Worlds and Minority Report.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 25, 2008 23:47

*ouch*

Date: May 25, 2008 23:58

Adrian-L it sounds like irony... And that's good... Too many people bitching about this movie, really smiling smiley See the bright side of life.

And not knowing of Lucas is a crime, though I don't necessarily love him. smiling smiley

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 26, 2008 00:07

Amused
Adrian-L it sounds like irony... And that's good

irony is good.
Unfortunately, it's non existent in this movie.
It's just a crap, ill-conceived, stinker.
2 hours of your lifetime, gone, never to be returned, lost forever.

..and with no reward.
do yourself a favour, and avoid this shit.

Date: May 26, 2008 00:17

Aww Adrian, there are people who rate Sticky Fingers 1/10, and I respect them... But why not take a closer look at the subject of yer review sometimes? smiling smiley I'm sure there were the things about the movie you liked ("oh, that solo in the second track, however it's called" - said damn Sticky Fingers reviewer winking smiley).

And... this movie will grow on ya. I think so. I didn't love it, but after 20 years... Maybe I will? winking smiley

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 26, 2008 01:28

I found it just as good and entertaining as the originals and so did my young son, whom I let watch the originals on DVD a month or so before this came out. He enjoyed them and enjoyed this one as well. I felt it was in the same vein as the others.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: May 26, 2008 02:52

I saw it today and I gotta say I liked it. It has the formula of past Indiana Jones movies, and while Ford doesnt do alot of the action himself, its understandable since he's older. I liked some of the puns and jokes, they werent over the top (like say the Roger Moore 70s era Bond). And yes indiana Jones has always dealt with the supernatural, so the aliens thing was good. However, I dont think its on the scale of the first three, but its not a bad adventure movie. Ive seen alot worse (Fools gold anyone?). One drawback however was it seemed John Williams kind of phoned in the score. It lacked alot of the power of his previous Indy scores unfortunatly.
Overall a good movie, Id probably rate it 7/10.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 26, 2008 04:00

I agree, thought it was good. And it made perfect sense that this was with the communist and set in the 50's and had UFO's! Was quite clever. I actually was very impressed that it wasn't so over the top and had some great action sequences. The Ant scene was quite good. I only wish Kate Blanchetts character had a more gruesome death scened that is the tradition in the films, albeit the second one wasn't all that a spectacular of a death scene with the crocks...
But all in all very well done!

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: May 26, 2008 04:58

I thought the plot lacked the epic feeling that the previous 3 did. But it was a worthy enough addition to the series, I guess.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 26, 2008 06:19

overall disappointed. Maybe Im just older but I thought the movie lacked a lot of emotion that the previous ones had. Story line could have been much better, but no matter what...Mr. Speilberg and Mr. Ford are laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 26, 2008 06:23

Sounds like a ridiculously stupid movie. I give it one finger up.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home