Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
I wonder....How Close was Ronnie...
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 16:40

To being left behind on the Licks tour?? He mentions it in his book but would it have really happened? And if so, who would they have gotten to fill in for him? For those that don't know, allegedly Ronnie was so messed up on Alcohol prior to the Licks tour that the Stones were close to going out on tour without Ronnie.

Re: I wonder....How Close was Ronnie...
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 16, 2008 16:45

Dont know bout that but when I saw him on the NS tour he seemed exhausted halfway through the show(although he still fulfulled his parts).

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 16, 2008 16:58

They were considering sacking him as early as the 81 tour for his base habit.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 16, 2008 18:03

THE STONES celebrating 40 Years with special guest "ERIC CLAPTON"...

PECMAN

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 18:38

God I would have stayed home if it was Clapton... Boooooooooooooring

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 16, 2008 18:47

I agree about Clapton. A competent guitarist, but he never plays anything interesting. Very overated, and yet enjoying the success Mick Taylor should have had.

Date: May 16, 2008 19:16

I would have stayed home too but Clapton would have been the obvious choice considering their tight relationship...who else could they have put in Ronnies shoes that would fit the bill?...I really don't think they would have considered Taylor...

Waddy Wachtel wouldn't have been a big enough name for the general casual fan...

Keith wouldn't want any of "Micks guys"...and Mick probably wouldn't want any of Keith's.

So who would it have been?

Curious to your opinion.

PECMAN

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 16, 2008 19:29

WeLoveYou
I agree about Clapton. A competent guitarist, but he never plays anything interesting. Very overated, and yet enjoying the success Mick Taylor should have had.

Well, I don't see how Taylor "should have had" it, since he didn't write and sing songs that a lot of people want to listen to, and he didn't manage his career in the same way...

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 16, 2008 19:30

Clapton is God anyway.

Going back, Ronnie didn't play on some tracks on ABB, eg "Back Of My Hand". I wonder why...

Date: May 16, 2008 19:49

Ronnie didn't play on a lot of tracks on ABB.
Most of it was done with just Mick and Keith at Mick's house in France I think.

Jagger plays bass on a couple of songs also.

PECMAN

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 16, 2008 19:55

Texas - I agree that MT didn't write good songs.....that was his problem. A great musician, but not a songwriter.....

However, Clapton is still a boring guitarist I'm afraid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-16 20:03 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: May 16, 2008 20:02

In my opinion, purely hypothetically, if Ronnie got left at home, the first choice to fill in would have been Blondie, then Waddy Wachtel. They may not be "a big enough name for the casual fan," but then who was Daryl Jones to the casual fan? It'd be more about someone who had the similar background and spoke their musical language, and who could do the hang, talk the talk. They're not big stars but Daryl, Blondie and Waddy have all been around big-time recording studios, big tours and schmoozy backstage haunts for years. It'd also have to be somebody like Daryl or Chuck who could walk in and play the parts in his own style but still not really change the overall sound of the group that much.

if you want to speculate on someone flashy, maybe

- Derek Trucks

- Johnny Winter

- someone from a white American blues background like Bob Margolin or Coco Montoya, someone like that

- the blonde guy from Rod Stewart's band in the '70s, took over from Ron Wood, played the riff on "Hot Legs," his name escapes me

Al Anderson from NRBQ also gets mentioned a lot in these "replacement Stones" conversations over the years. He'd actually be a good fit because he's almost their age, and he generally plays a lot of rhythm as well as lead

Or even maybe Pierre de Beauport. I seriously think if it had happened, it would have been an extremely low profile person rather than a well-known guitarist or rock god who is already a celebrity in their own right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-16 20:05 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 16, 2008 20:04

texas fan
Well, I don't see how Taylor "should have had" it, since he didn't write and sing songs that a lot of people want to listen to, and he didn't manage his career in the same way...

Bingo.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 16, 2008 20:06

jamesfdouglas
texas fan

Bingo.
Much how Jimi Hendrix's singing and songwriting was also important but not given their due next to his insamely groundbreaking axework.

It's not all about the guitar playing, folks!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 16, 2008 20:10

Not sure I ever really truely believed all that talk about Ronnie being left off the tour. Perhaps Mick said that to Ronnie to give a "scared straight" moment and to shape up. Had Ronnie needed more time, I think the Stones would've waited for him to get better...not just go on the road without him.

Not sure how the fans, or the Stones would've felt with another guitarist there. Don't think anyone would feel comfortable looking back at their history and saying..."didja catch them on the Licks tour?" "Which one was that?" "The one without Ronnie Wood." or "The one with the new guy."

Something about that really sounds tacky. This ain't Van Halen or Whitesnake...with a rotating roster of band members.. Ick!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-16 20:42 by Justin.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 20:15

The bashing on Clapton is a joke. Music exudes from Mr. Clapton. He wouldn't take Keith's bullying tactics, but he would have find a fine addition to the Rolling Stones. He's not a second guitarist to anyone, even Mr. Richards.

Date: May 16, 2008 20:17

I'm going to have to agree w/ Shawn 20 as well.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 20:38

No ronnie no stones.

Date: May 16, 2008 20:41

I wonder.... IF that had happened, would they have been considered (and promoted) as a trio instead of a quartet?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 20:42

Justin
Not sure I ever really truely believed all that talk about Ronnie being left off the tour. Perhaps Mick said that to Ronnie to give a "scared straight" moment and to shape up. Had Ronnie needed more time, I think the Stones would've waited for him to get better...not just go on the road without him.

Not sure how the fans, or the Stones would've felt with another guitarist there. Don't think anyone would feel comfortable looking back at their history and saying..."didja catch them on the Licks tour?" "Which one was that?" "The one without Ronnie Wood." "Oh yeah, right."

Something about that really sounds tacky. This ain't Van Halen or Whitesnake...with a rotating roster of band members.. Ick!

That's probably true. I can't imagine the Stones without Ronnie. Fortunately, he's clean now or at least it seems so, his playing during the last tour and some gigs of the licks tour was amazing.

Ronnie's guitar is sounding better than ever.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 16, 2008 20:56

he's probably exaggerating the threat to leave him behind. He often did so little playing during the shows, how much worse could it have been? '81 was a different story; now they have so many handlers and supporters, I'm sure they could have trotted him out there for 2 hrs a night to smile and wave, and the fans would have cheered all the same.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 16, 2008 21:16

Surprised to see Margolin's name mentioned here but I do agree. Musically they come from the same platform or at least they used to.

For those that don't know Margolin was the lead guitarist for Muddy Waters throughout most of the 70's. Bob can be seen accompanying Muddy on the Band's "Last Waltz." On Clapton's 1978 tour of Europe, Muddy opened for EC and Bob after Muddy's set occassionally joined EC back on stage to close out EC's shows.

Keith last played with Bob I believe on the Hubert Sumlin CD, "About Them Shoes" where Bob was kind of the house guitarist and musical organizer for the CD which featured several big name guests like Kieth and EC.

Turning To Gold
In my opinion, purely hypothetically, if Ronnie got left at home, the first choice to fill in would have been Blondie, then Waddy Wachtel. They may not be "a big enough name for the casual fan," but then who was Daryl Jones to the casual fan? It'd be more about someone who had the similar background and spoke their musical language, and who could do the hang, talk the talk. They're not big stars but Daryl, Blondie and Waddy have all been around big-time recording studios, big tours and schmoozy backstage haunts for years. It'd also have to be somebody like Daryl or Chuck who could walk in and play the parts in his own style but still not really change the overall sound of the group that much.

if you want to speculate on someone flashy, maybe

- Derek Trucks

- Johnny Winter

- someone from a white American blues background like Bob Margolin or Coco Montoya, someone like that

- the blonde guy from Rod Stewart's band in the '70s, took over from Ron Wood, played the riff on "Hot Legs," his name escapes me

Al Anderson from NRBQ also gets mentioned a lot in these "replacement Stones" conversations over the years. He'd actually be a good fit because he's almost their age, and he generally plays a lot of rhythm as well as lead

Or even maybe Pierre de Beauport. I seriously think if it had happened, it would have been an extremely low profile person rather than a well-known guitarist or rock god who is already a celebrity in their own right.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 16, 2008 21:18

To go back to the orginal question - after reading Ronnie's book I think that as he reflected back on that time (Lick's tour) that he feels today that he was close to being sacked.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2008 21:24

mick is way smarter than to leave ronnie (the m.v.p. of the bigger bang tour) behind. i agree 100% with Shawn20 as far as Clapton goes,he is the numero uno guitarslinger of our generation (CREAM).the stones know how to get it together when the bell rings .i think ronnie could play circles around all those guys (blondie ,waddy,al anderson and the other guy)even on his worst day.we are talking bout RON WOOD .have you folks seen the LAST WALTZ with the BAND i know it was like 32 years ago but check out WOODY oh my god one of the most underrated and most taken for granted superstar guitarst of all time .go ronnie play that guitar solo.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 16, 2008 21:45

I'm sure in some interview with Ronnie's wife she said she went to Jagger for help with Ronnie and she dropped in that Mick had tentatively sounded out Clapton (possibly as a bluff/threat to Ronnie). I'm also pretty certain that Jeff Beck's name was also mentioned.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 16, 2008 21:49

Ronnie was almost kicked off the Tatto You Tour in 1981! As far back as then he was on the cusp of Mick dumping him. I've seen Ronnie go through shows with nary a lick from his axe sneaking out...literally took entire shows off, smiling, waving, screwing around like a clown. Total crap and utterly useless. I've seen this several times in the 90's and in this decade. I've often dreamed of having him kicked off so a competent and compelling lead guitarist could stand opposite Keef.

Then again...I've seen him carry the entire guitar load on his shoulders on some shows the last tour(s). He's not the Ronnie of 1975 - miles and miles away from that - but if he'd been left behind for the Licks Tour that would have been a real shame. He straightened himself out and played some stellar shows...his work on the Licks Tour centerpiece, Can't You Hear Me Knockin', was often brilliant...and his work on SAL was very tasty (especially the acousitc and slide guitar parts - excellent!) so perhaps the warning finally taught him to appreciate the privilege of his position.

He can be so infuriatingly inconsistent, though...at times one can be forgiven for wishing someone with the chops of a MT or Clapton or Wayne Perkins (my choice for his replacement if it had to happen) would have his role, no?

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 22:19

Steady Rollin
Sweet and Swollen
No Controllin
Bob Margolin

Used to see Bob a lot at the Nightshade Cafe down on Tate Street in Greensboro.
He was da bomb.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 22:53

Like someone wrote, this isn't Van Halen or Whitesnake.

For me, there are 2 points to be made. First, the logical replacement would be Peter Frampton. Great player, known name and coud work with Keith.

Clapton, amazing some find him boring or bad. The guy imho is a helluva a guitar player. Once KR and EC played together and got the leads and riffs worked out, watchout. My vote would be that you would see KR playing much better.

Ronnie ain't going anywhere. He's Micks boy. Those guys have a friendship that no other band exudes.

jjflash73

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 16, 2008 23:30

ronnie said in the 60 min licks interview that it was not a threat from mick ,but a plea from a friend to get himself healthy, thats why i think they would have not toured without woody

Posted by: stein ()
Date: May 16, 2008 23:34

Ronnie was not treatend by anybody, just told to clean up and get ready for the road.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home