Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi-OT: Guitar picks
Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: May 14, 2008 13:31

Sooo is there anyone here that has guitar picks from known players? Stones or non-Stones.

I remember BB King's last show I saw, he was throwing hands of picks in the crowd as if he were planting seeds (for new guitar players? cool metaphore). Keith and Ron nowadays are pretty generous with their picks too. Especially Keith uses multiple picks per song.

Anyway, I got one from Ian Parker, british bluesguitarist once. And last sunday I was at a Julian Sas gig, he's a Dutch artist, and he flicks his pick right into my hand from the stage. Even if I wouldn't have wanted it, I'd have gotten it. Sounds like nothing I guess but he's kind of my guitar hero, I saw him countless times, play all his songs etc. so I was pretty damn happy.

But there must be people that have some really cool ones. I think it's a really cool thing to remember a show by or something.. but buying them online is pretty useless. SO TELL ME, Tell Me...

Re: Semi-OT: Guitar picks
Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: May 14, 2008 14:24

I was right in front of Pete Townshend at their final European gig last summer here in Helsinki. I got a pick... Roger Daltrey's pick!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 14, 2008 14:51

I have 5 Keith picks...no Ronnie picks...Hey Matthew, drop me one in the mail, will ya?

Thanks,

JR

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 14, 2008 17:49

Ronnie slapped a pick in my hand.

And BB King dropped 2 picks into my hand when I saw him.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 14, 2008 19:02

I was quite surprised to find that keith uses pretty light picks. Not sure why I was surprised...I just was ;^)

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: May 14, 2008 19:04

Charles Berry at the 100 Club.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: May 14, 2008 20:50

I collect picks just like everything else :-)

Used ones I have:

Mick x 1 (Shepherds Bush 99 - dropped on the stage and retrived at end)

Keith x 3 (Sheffield 99 / Astoria 2003 / Cardiff 07) although I lost the Astoria one on in TCR tube station! Reward if found :-)

Ronnie x c.50 (Too many to list but from Licks, ABB and around London town)

Charlie x 1 stick (MSG Bang)

I also have a couple of Mick Taylor, a Jeff Beck etc...

Here are some below......

Most of my Bigger Bang Dated picks.....I have another 3 or 4 since this pic, but still missing some ;-(

Some for trading....

Please be aware of many fake pics on eBay! Most of them are band member ones and you can see the different sized text.... They are often described as commemorative or promo (a way of saying fake and getting away with it!).

JR - RW one in the mail :-) Let's catch up soon....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-14 20:58 by mattleeuk.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 14, 2008 21:34

Matt, great pic of the picks!!
The third one is my desktop picture now.grinning smiley

I got 3:

In Bremen 1998 I had a sign: "Keith and Ronnie, give me your plecs!"

One was thrown to me by Keith. It fell down. A roadie gave it to me.
Then Ronnie slided on YYGMR, came over, threw it but it got LOST in a
mountain of jackets below us! Fvck! Finally Keith pointed at me, climbed
between the amps and laid it into my palm. WOW! So he must have seen that
the first one fell down. I got 2 of his plecs on one night!

The third one was HANDED OUT at the b-stage again, London, O2, 23rd August.

Have them all in my shrine...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-14 21:34 by TooTough.

Date: May 14, 2008 22:02

Nice, Too tough....this pick a friend got from Keith, or Perhaps Tony, not during the gig, but after....To this day, best show I have seen.

JR

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: May 14, 2008 22:16

I got one of Chucks, Bigger Bang Sheffield 06 from B stage

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 14, 2008 22:23

I would give my left hand to get backstage, John!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 14, 2008 22:25

I have 1 from Keef from Koln (voodoo) and 3 from Ronnie (bang) also 1 from Chuck (bang) Still wishing to have Charlie's drum stick.

Date: May 14, 2008 22:28

TooTough

Dont, it aint all that its cracked up to be...unless you get a private audience with Ron and Keith....then, maybe a pinky knuckle....

JR

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 15, 2008 04:12

"Commemorative" is not dishonest, just the opposite -- they are telling u straight out that it is not a real one made for the Stones but is merely commemorative. I am glad they label them that way as then it is very easy to distinguish (and not everybody is so honest).

but Matt, where do u get those little slip cases for the picks, I could use a bunch.

Does ANYONE know or have you heard of a Missoula pick? As best I know, it was never made. I guess they just didnt make the city picks for some 06 shows. And why did they only make them for the 06 shows and not 05 and 07?

I have bought or been given a bunch, never got one myself at a show.

But my 12 (06)/13 (07) daughter has been given two Keiths (from Tony Russell), one Ronnie (from hotel staff who had just gotten it from Mick at end of North American tour party Vancouver) and one Mick (final ABB show, London from Mick's guitar tech). No such luck for me.

p

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 15, 2008 04:35

I see you have a "Trail Of Terror" pick - was that one of Ronnie?

I got one given, but I didn't believe it was a Stones pick - so I used it for what they're made for....flat pickin' the guitar. damn^^

should look like this if I ever find it again.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 15, 2008 04:39

...and the rarest of 'em all is this

..........only to be found in my photobucket account.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: May 15, 2008 05:21

stone-relics
TooTough

Dont, it aint all that its cracked up to be...unless you get a private audience with Ron and Keith....then, maybe a pinky knuckle....

JR

This is true as there are 2 backstages. One for VIPS, but another for the band and family. As for the picks I have several from Ronnie and Keith. My favorite has Midnight Rambler and of course the tongue. The one that got away was in Mexico City during the Voodoo Lounge Tour. After doing The Worst Keith tossed his pick and I thought I had it but it curved and hit the floor. A guy by me snatched it up!! Dang. The kicker was that it had the tongue and--The Worst on the other side! Love that song! Oh well!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 15, 2008 05:34

indeed a great, rare pick open g!

I would have thought it was difficult for Germans to get a British pick in 1945!! Maybe a British bullet or bomb, but a pick??!!

p

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home