Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Robert Plant & Alison Krauss,Manchester Apollo,Weds 7th May 2008
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 8, 2008 10:53

Hello,

I can't say how much I was looking forward to this show,mainly on the strength of this duo's fine album,'Raising Sand' which has 3 or 4 absolute gems on it.I needn't have worried about this show being a letdown though-from the first song ('Rich Woman'-reverbtastic!) onwards it was a joy to be there.

As Planty said in a recent interview,Ms. K. and himself along with the rest of the band are 'finding' themselves onstage and as the shows rack-up they're only gonna get better!The seven of them have talent to burn-it almost seems effortless at times although at others the drummer (very natty suit,Sir) and the celebrated T-Bone Burnett (looking like a cross between a gunfighter and preacher) will wig-out...how much fun are these guys having?

People have been banging on about the chemistry between RP and AK,but it really is tangible.Even when Planty shuffles around doing the Planty shuffle during instrumental breaks,his partner will smile and/or giggle.He is a charismatic presence,no doubt about it.

Their voices are so well-matched too.As slight a figure as AK is she has a fantastic range in her voice when needed-you look at her and wonder "Wow,where did that come from?".

Acoording to the mood of each song,RP will place his mic stand perhaps closer to,or facing slightly away from AK:for the upbeat numbers he still can't resist picking the stand up a la old-school!
There are a few songs on which AK plays her fiddle which draws admiring glances from her partner in crime-it's as if he is in wonder at her range of talents.

Of course these guys were here to promote their album and duly they played it beautifully:I didn't think we'd get 4 Led Zeppelin tunes thrown in though.'Black Dog' was splendid and although the crowd were almost overawed or too stunned to really go to town during the call-and-response section it showcased the roar that Planty still has-no histrionics or wibbling thank Goodness!
Other additions included 'Black Country Woman','When the Levee Breaks','Black Country Woman' and another one whose name escapes me,but it was off LZ3-anyway they fitted right in.

They played a couple of encores and called it quits after over 2 hours onstage:if you are after a hugely enjoyable night-out,look no further.If you're after quality photos then look away.

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-08 10:58 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Robert Plant & Alison Krauss,Manchester Apollo,Weds 7th May 2008
Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 8, 2008 11:02

i'm realy hoping i can make the London gig, should know monday. the CMT special has really whetted my appetite. i think the other LZ may have been Battle Of Evermore which originally featured the late great Sandy Denny, I' d love to hear RPs and AKs take on that.

nice report and pics.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 8, 2008 11:03

Thanks for the report and pics Simon- pleased you had a good time.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 8, 2008 11:22

Hi Adrian and NP,

You are spot-on re 'The Battle Of Evermore'!Old age showing there-it wasn't even 12 hours ago FFS!

NP,I really hope you can make the show:satisfaction guaranteed...wish you all the very best.

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 8, 2008 13:32

I am so jealous!!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 8, 2008 18:29

Thanks for sharing Simon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-08 21:11 by Lukester.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 8, 2008 19:28

These are very nice pictures, thank you!

A preview clip from BBC tomorrow here:

[www.thebluegrassblog.com]

scroll down a bit, please!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home