Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: UMG Reissues
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 3, 2010 22:06

to call a thief an @#$%& is less than he deserves!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 3, 2010 22:07

"to call a thief an @#$%& is less than he deserves!"

Now you're making even less sense. Don't follow.

Date: March 3, 2010 22:12

you make no sense. but i don´t wonder about you anymore.

replying three times about mastering and bob ludwig and obviously not knowing what is done during mastering and how long it takes.

i mean if you would have stopped pretending to know anything about it the first time i called you out that would have made sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-03 22:19 by stoneswashed77.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 3, 2010 22:21

here's an interview excerpt with Ludwig from mixonline

How do you approach a new project?

The secret to being a good mastering engineer is to be able to listen to a mix to hear how it could sound, and finally be able to push the right buttons to achieve the sound you have in your head. When I start a new project, I first listen to find out if there is enough vocal in the mix and whether the EQ is correct. Too much vocal in a mix makes the music uninteresting, and too little is annoying to the listener. People want to hear the words. At one magical point, something happens that makes the vocal blend perfectly. I work pretty fast at finding the right EQ and compression that keep the vocal in place, and I spend longer time refining the settings.

It is important to set aside time to listen to parts of the whole album before starting to work. Very often, the A&R people have placed the hit songs at the beginning, and sometimes you get the impression it's a pop album you are about to work on, where as if you listen further, you'll find that the music is more artistic and deserves a different approach.

Usually, I master an album in one day, which, on average, gives me one-half to one hour per song. Under certain circumstances, I have to ask the song to be remixed. In cases where the vocal is too bright and the instrumental tracks are too dull, there is nothing I can do. I do not listen [to the track] loudly when I work, and by loud I mean more than 90dB SPL. I try to keep it around 85 dB if possible.

Date: March 3, 2010 22:46

stoneswashed77
you make no sense. but i don´t wonder about you anymore.

replying three times about mastering and bob ludwig and obviously not knowing what is done during mastering and how long it takes.

i mean if you would have stopped pretending to know anything about it the first time i called you out that would have made sense.

I wasn't pretending. You're just making it bigger now, ha ha. Just going on my own experience having worked on several records. Obviously you can't accept that it might not be the way you think and say it is for someone else/others. Like I pointed out, not all and everyone. But you seem to know all for and of all and everyone. So there you go. It's really that simple.

But whatever. I know what I know and that's fine. Because it's real. I'm not saying you don't know, just that you don't know all. Don't get what's so difficult about that.

Date: March 3, 2010 23:03

you also said that someone who masters within a day or two must me an amateur using garageband.

that´s obviously not the case. you may have other experiences and that is perfectly alright. i was talking about bob ludwig and the stones remasters.
if someone doesn´t like the sound of the remasters he can´t blame it on not taking enough time to do it.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: March 3, 2010 23:23

So that's why those Virgin remasters sound so inferior to the newer and better UMG remasters - Ludwig ONLY spent one day remastering each album! Hahaha, peace people.

Date: March 3, 2010 23:42

I said "Maybe", not anything for certain. I said that because a friend of mine that has some program said he could master CDs. Of course there's no way it's the real deal. Hence why I used that as an example.

The point was, whether or not an entire album can be done in one day, that with listening to it, corrections, etc - takes more than one day. People have to listen, approve, blah blah blah.

Date: March 3, 2010 23:43

"tatters" said in another thread:

georgelicks is our resident statistician, but I think when the first batch of four was released, Sticky Fingers sold 4,000 copies in the U.S. in the first week with the other three selling much less than that. IORR sold just 500.

in case of iorr one should hope the stones only booked bob ludwig half a day.

Date: March 3, 2010 23:46

skipstone
I said "Maybe", not anything for certain. I said that because a friend of mine that has some program said he could master CDs. Of course there's no way it's the real deal. Hence why I used that as an example.

The point was, whether or not an entire album can be done in one day, that with listening to it, corrections, etc - takes more than one day. People have to listen, approve, blah blah blah.

i think garageband would be actually ok with third party plugins or hardware of course.

Date: March 3, 2010 23:46

Ha ha.

So you think the Virgins sold better? They did tour that year and did dip into that catalogue somewhat.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 3, 2010 23:50

skipstone
Ha ha.

So you think the Virgins sold better? They did tour that year and did dip into that catalogue somewhat.

Not on topic exactly but relevant to yr comment, I really liked the Voodoo set lists. Nice balance of War horses, rarely played tracks like 'Monkey Man', 'Rocks Off' and 'Heartbreaker', and a healthy selection of tracks from the new record (the last time they would do that). Hell, 'Love Is Strong', 'YGMR, Sparks Will Fly, the Worst, Out of Tears, I Go Wild were all pretty consistently played (and they did Brand New Car at the start of the tour).

Date: March 4, 2010 00:14

That's on topic. It deals with part of the curiosity of the Virgins and the UMGs - it's the time line and they were, without really saying it, at least to me, promoting the Virgin remasters by playing Heartbreaker and Rocks Off and Beast Of Burden. They played Voodoo songs just as they played Bridges songs - on a pretty consistent basis, unlike...what was the last tour? Something...

As far as the history of the Stones go with labels, it's been said that when they either finished or started a record contract, there would be some kind compilation issued. Not really sure how that worked or if it's even true since not all comps were released in North America and Europe etc the same time (Time Waits For No One, Jump Back).

This reissue, no tour, no interest, just nothing really. Virgin - tour with a new record of course but also the reissues. I would think the Virgins sold more/better. And for quite some time to go to equal it, they had how long? 1994 to 2008 for the Virgin catalogue to be out? Which is interesting. Aside from Atlantic, did they spend the most time with Virgin? And why no more Rolling Stones Records with Virgin. I guess they didn't need it anymore.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 4, 2010 00:17

skipstone
oh noooooooow you include "people have to listen, approve". it seems to me that before you were implying that the actual process of mastering and mastering alone (without the boardroom involved) never takes just a day to do. and now that Mr.Ludwig basically said that he does master in one day, you backtrack and include variables into your argument.
me thinks you got caught with your fingers in the cookie jar smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home