Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Disco Remixes
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 29, 2008 15:56

Since Voodoo Lounge I beleive ( correct me if I am wrong) There has been disco re-edit's, remixes etc... is there actually an audience for this?

I would'nt be caught dead in a club playing that kind of music but does it even get any play? and if it doesn't what's the point?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: The Disco Remixes
Posted by: yapyapmk7 ()
Date: April 29, 2008 16:10

I love all the remixes. Rain Fall Down, You Got Me Rocking, Mixed Emotions, Even Gimme Shelter and Sympathy. There are lots of them. They are different.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 29, 2008 16:20

Oh I'm sorry I misspoke I just remembered I have a very little played boot cut the 18' versions going back to undercover.....

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: April 29, 2008 17:18

They are not really that great but,some of the Stones' remixes would go well in a club.Much of club music is not very good.Why not throw some of these songs into the mix?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 29, 2008 17:22

I've only ever liked the mixes that are the actual song, not the ones with all the shit they add to them, like Sympathy and now YCAGWYW. Out of all those Rock And A Hard Place mixes there's only one that's worth a damn to me. You Got Me Rocking sucks. Anybody Seen My Baby sucks. Those dance mix 10,000 beats per minute mixes are just an atrocity.

The old mixes were better - Miss You, Undercover, One Hit....they were the actual songs.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: April 29, 2008 20:02

Remixes of Gimme Shelter & YCAGWYW? Did I miss something?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 29, 2008 20:07

There is decent stuff and lifeless crap in any genre - in both rock and dance. Many of the remixes of these songs were terrible - from both perspectives.

Rock fans - OH MY GOD! THEY'VE DESICRATED A CLASSIC!!!!
Clubbers - Why are they playing grampa's dino-music????

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 29, 2008 21:34

This thread jogged my memory i wonder if anyone can answer this one? Whilst waiting an age for Amy Winehouse to come on at Hammersmith Apollo last November, one of the tracks played on the PA was a remix of Miss You. Very slow version though and I really liked it but couldn't locate it on itunes. Anyone know what this was? And is it available?

Date: April 29, 2008 22:17

It might be that Dr Dre 'remix' of Miss You that's featured on the New York DVD from Flicks.

Remixes. I think the versions of the songs that have extended (or even unedited) parts of the songs with additional this and that that are the actual performance of the band - to me those are true remixes. Miss You is a perfect example. The 'extra' verses are the ones that were edited out for the single and LP versions. Etc...

This isolate the vocal and a guitar track and add a bunch of shit to it (YCAGWYW, Sympathy, etc...) are not really remixes, they're just fu*ckixes. Or shitixes.

Ha ha ha.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: April 29, 2008 22:35

the remixes arent aimed at you/us as stones fans - theyre aimed at a different audience - the rain faill down mix, charmed life and the neptunes mix of sympathy all got great levels of play in the clubs!

OLDKR

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 30, 2008 00:02

Indeed, as oldkr has said, these remixes aren't aimed at a rock crowd. And more or less, the remixer becomes the artist here, whilst the original artist only provides the source material and the thumbs up or the thumbs down. I'd be interested to find out what Danger Mouse, Howie B and Mousse T could do by remixing a Stones song, as these are all remixers who also have got some kind of a background in the world of rock music.

Date: April 30, 2008 03:25

(watch it bill, there's a lot of grumpy, closed-minded dance-music/trance/house-haters here!)
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 30, 2008 04:02

jamesfdouglas
There is decent stuff and lifeless crap in any genre - in both rock and dance. Many of the remixes of these songs were terrible - from both perspectives.

Two things here :

a) Most of these remixes were done by some of the most well respected DJ's of the club scene - Oakenfold etc..

b) The Stones songs that were officially remixed were new songs at the time (until Sympathy and recently YCAGWYW).They were not old songs and nothing for the clubbers to get upset about.In most cases,the remixes only very slightly resembled what the Stones recorded.An example is the YGMR remix which over 7 minutes features two short periods of time where there are Jagger vocals.It is nothing like the album track.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: April 30, 2008 07:37

Personally, I think the YCAGWYW remix is great. Really well done and very interesting.

josh.

Posted by: Joss ()
Date: April 30, 2008 14:03

The Club Mix of Sex Drive is great!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 30, 2008 17:33

What is the remix of Gimme Shelter? That's one I've missed...

Date: April 30, 2008 18:16

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-30 18:42 by midnrambler.

Date: April 30, 2008 20:24

Theif in the Night
jamesfdouglas

Two things here :

a) Most of these remixes were done by some of the most well respected DJ's of the club scene - Oakenfold etc..

b) The Stones songs that were officially remixed were new songs at the time (until Sympathy and recently YCAGWYW).They were not old songs and nothing for the clubbers to get upset about.In most cases,the remixes only very slightly resembled what the Stones recorded.An example is the YGMR remix which over 7 minutes features two short periods of time where there are Jagger vocals.It is nothing like the album track.

a) That makes them no less akward.
b) They weren't upset, they were just like "what the #$%& is this?".

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: April 30, 2008 20:32

The Rain Fell Down remix was hammered in clubs in Manchester.

Date: April 30, 2008 20:41

... well that song lends itself more to a dance remix.

You Got Me Rocking though? Not so much.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 1, 2008 06:21

jamesfdouglas
Theif in the Night
jamesfdouglas

Two things here :

a) That makes them no less akward.
b) They weren't upset, they were just like "what the #$%& is this?".

The club remixes are very much the same as the music that was being played in the clubs at the time.The reason for this is because the Stones had very little to do with the way these tracks sound > 90% DJ and 10% Stones.Basically they were more the DJ's tracks with a touch of the Stones track(s) mixed in.

Also,like I said,the You Got Me Rocking remix has next to nothing to do with the album track.What the album track lends itself to is almost irrelevant in this discussion because,for the remixes,they ditched nearly everything that is heard on the album track.

Date: May 1, 2008 14:42

VoodooLounge13
What is the remix of Gimme Shelter? That's one I've missed...

You didn't miss much but if you wanna hear it: [odeo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-01 14:46 by midnrambler.

Date: May 1, 2008 15:13

Is this available on a cd somewhere??

Date: May 1, 2008 15:17

VoodooLounge13
Is this available on a cd somewhere??
No, all of these abkco remixes (except for the Sympathy remixes) are only available for download (or streaming audio). I think it's better like this. I don't want to spend money for that trash...

Date: May 1, 2008 15:44

That stinks! I don't have access to download them, and now I've glaring holes in my collection - like the I'm Free remixes and the Charmed Life ones....ugh!! Are they all available on ITunes?? Hopefully I can get a friend to DL em for me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 1, 2008 16:02

Joss
The Club Mix of Sex Drive is great!

I agree. I love it!

Date: May 1, 2008 16:23

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-01 21:38 by midnrambler.

Date: May 1, 2008 17:20

'glaring holes in my collection'? For THOSE? Wow, you are way over the top with that stuff! Damn!

Date: May 1, 2008 19:37

LOL What can I say, skipstone, I'm a completist!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home