Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Had STONES broked up
Posted by: kinoliksmith ()
Date: April 16, 2008 11:40

Had STONES broked up then who do you think would have succeeded in the solo carreer ? Personally I feel Keith Richards.Becuase his solos sounded lot beeter than that of Mick Jagger.Songs like take it so hard, wicked as it seems sounds lot better than Mick's.What you all say?

Re: Had STONES broked up
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 16, 2008 12:23

In terms of economical success, I think only Jagger would have had a chance. Of the Stones, only Mick - and Brian Jones - had a tendency to be a star. Keith Richards would have turned to be a cult hero, but no hit albums by his own. He seems to be more depend on partner or a gang around himself than Mick. For example, he needed a band, and a writing partner, to make a solo album.

(of course it all depends on when they would have broken up, 1964, 1969, 1975, 1983.. if they would have split in 1969 - after Altamont or something - Keith might teamed up with Gram Parsons, and who knows what sort of classics we might got from them... Meanwhile, Jagger might have taken 'Rod Stewart' road..)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-16 12:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: kinoliksmith ()
Date: April 16, 2008 13:03

Who wrote the songs like take it so hard and wicked as it seems, Keith I guess

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 16, 2008 13:17

Doxa
In terms of economical success, I think only Jagger would have had a chance. Of the Stones, only Mick - and Brian Jones - had a tendency to be a star. Keith Richards would have turned to be a cult hero, but no hit albums by his own. He seems to be more depend on partner or a gang around himself than Mick. For example, he needed a band, and a writing partner, to make a solo album.

(of course it all depends on when they would have broken up, 1964, 1969, 1975, 1983.. if they would have split in 1969 - after Altamont or something - Keith might teamed up with Gram Parsons, and who knows what sort of classics we might got from them... Meanwhile, Jagger might have taken 'Rod Stewart' road..)

- Doxa

Spot-on. To me Keith's (solo) songs mostly sound like the bare bones whereas Mick's sound more "complete". You put Mick's gloss over Keith's r&r juice and then you have a perfect Stones number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-16 13:20 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Rockman ()

Monkey Grip wouldn't be the winner....

ROCKMAN

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()

>> Who wrote the songs like Take It So Hard and Wicked As It Seems <<

Take It So Hard is by Keith & Steve Jordan;
Wicked As It Seems is by Keith, Steve Jordan & Charlie Drayton;
and you'll probably get a lot out of this site here: [www.timeisonourside.com]
(not just that page of it - the whole site is brilliant)

Keith is a very collaborative artist - which is a powerful strength.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-16 13:20 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 16, 2008 13:29

Rockman

But isn't "Si Si Je Suis Un Rock Star" still sort of only hit single a Rolling Stone has ever released... (maybe Mick's "Just Another Night" and a duet with David Bowie are others). smoking smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 16, 2008 13:32

Dancing in the Streets (Mick Jagger & David Bowie) topped the UK charts for several weeks.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 16, 2008 13:40

Doxa
Rockman

But isn't "Si Si Je Suis Un Rock Star" still sort of only hit single a Rolling Stone has ever released... (maybe Mick's "Just Another Night" and a duet with David Bowie are others). smoking smiley

- Doxa

That's a good point you highlight Doxa. I always thought 'State of Shock' would have done better.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 16, 2008 15:30

If the Stones had broken up..say twenty years ago...we'd have spent the last 20 years speculating about a reunion.
And..had it happened...it would have been a far bigger deal than the recent Zep "reunion".

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 16, 2008 15:33

Keith would be a top-notch sideman like Nils Lofgren, or maybe a cult hero like Tom Waits. Jagger would be a rock/pop superstar.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-16 15:34 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: April 16, 2008 15:38

Charlie would be a critically-acclaimed jazz hero. Ronnie would be playing w/ Rod a lot more. Bill would be happier. Mick Taylor would be thinner. Brian Jones would be even more idolized. Chuck would have hooked up with the Allman Brothers when they re-grouped in 1989. Lisa and Bernard would be Mick's b/u singers. U2 would be the top-selling touring group in the world.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 16, 2008 16:14

Let's not forget Ronnie's contribution here. His 1st album I've Got My Own Album To Do is my favourite solo release - even though he wasn't quite a Stone in 74 when it was released. The quality of songs like Cancel Everything, Far East Man, I Can Feel The Fire, Am I Grooving You, Shirley and Act Together - some written by or with Mick'n'Keef is top notch. And even his second album Now Look is great. It contains one of his most heartfelt songs, Breathe On Me.

Date: April 16, 2008 16:19

Ronnie's at least a perfect writer for album titels. Phrases like "I've Got My Own Album To Do", "1234" (my all time favourite), or "Gimme Some Neck" are surely hard to beat!!

Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: April 16, 2008 17:19

We probably wouldn't all be here today

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 19, 2008 22:28

Taylorfan
They sould have..in 1975.Or a decent replacement for MickTaylor..Sorry guys.Wood is a big hoax to me.

Qualify that statement or...have I fell in to some kind of wind up? Taylorfan. Wood a hoax? No, it can't be real. Too obvious.
Oh, it's a first post! yawning smiley

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 20, 2008 03:12

I'm glad it never happened . End of subject !

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: April 20, 2008 04:05

Well, I tend to think that Mick is more skillful than Keith when it comes to write comercial songs without help. Not that Keith is bad, but his stuff with the Winos (mostly written with Steve Jordan's collaboration) is more rawness and rhythm, and that's fine, but Mick has a touch with catchy melodies and choruses.

IMO, Mick's solo albums could have a better chance in terms of success because of this. Besides, the frontmen in bands usually get more publicity when going solo. But the fact is Mick never succedeed as a solo act. Maybe his albums are sometimes so deliberately focused on trendy stuff that sound slightly fake and can't appeal nor the Stones' audience, nor most of the audience who can only see him as the Stones' frontman. With much lower goals and more humble expectations, Keith managed to enjoy a big success with his own audience, although everything was over after his second studio album and tour, so you never can tell...

And if the Stones had broke up, maybe Ronnie and Rod would have managed to keep the Faces together. Given Rod's potential for success back then, maybe he cuould have taken the band into a much bigger public spot and make them superstars.

The rest of the band never tried desperately to be very famous stars (take Charlie with his jazz bands and allergie to interviews or Taylor as example...).

Damn! How could anybody know what would had become of them?

As the previous post, I'm happy they keep the thing together!

Posted by: Taylorfan ()
Date: April 20, 2008 12:38

ROLLINGSTONE
Taylorfan
They sould have..in 1975.Or a decent replacement for MickTaylor..Sorry guys.Wood is a big hoax to me.

Qualify that statement or...have I fell in to some kind of wind up? Taylorfan. Wood a hoax? No, it can't be real. Too obvious.
Oh, it's a first post! yawning smiley

Ron Woods "guitarplaying is :

1:Very predictable in the first place,he can hardly play a matching riff(maybe in the studio after 20 takes. Taylor did most in one.
2:He has absolutely no feeling for melodic lines.His guitarsolo's on Angie or Shine a light are an insult to the songs(and many more)
3:He is jumping arround trying to be funny instead of making an harmonic contribution to the overall Stones sound.
4:He plays simular to Richards,sounds like a copy,I don't see or hear the harmonic contribution.
5:He has the most expensive guitar equipment one can afford,but he still has the sound of a beginner.
6:One "positive" thing:He could have replaced K Richards in '74.

Love makes deaf I'am afraid.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 20, 2008 14:18

Mick would have been playing blues part time and been a bean counter professionally. Keith would have been doing something completely different. It's the synergy, nothing more. If you put hydrogen x2 and oxygen together you can give life. Called water. Basis of all life. H2O. That's the Stones. May be Mick is hydrogen or may be Keith. I don't know. But together they are life.

Bjornulf

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 20, 2008 14:26

Mick seemed to want to stray from the Rolling Stones sound...and go more
with Dance music. Had he wanted to do RS-style music with
another band etc... when he did (WS) he had more success.

(and don't forget "successful" movie soundtrack for Alfie)

Keith didn't stray. If the Stones had not "regrouped" in the late '80s...
...I wonder if Keith would have eventually looked for another singer
to perform his songs. Don't get me wrong I think KR's singing on his solo
stuff is pretty good...but by his own admission he said it was more difficult being
the front-man than he thought. Maybe the Keith Richards band would have
been like Santana (guest singers etc...). Just a thought. We've all wondered
what Keith solo stuff would have sounded like with MJ on vocals.

Re: Ronnie...I've always loved his solo stuff.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: April 21, 2008 02:27

Taylorfan

This sounds like someone punking the thread, using another name, to be a bit of a smart@$$, deliberately aiming at "Jaggerfan"... eye rolling smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: April 21, 2008 02:59

Bulls eye! I agree 110% !! Mr. Wood is a disaster!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 21, 2008 04:09

If they'd broken up there would be a lot less bitching about them from their "fans".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home