Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Olympia 2003, best recent DVD ???
Posted by: olorin ()
Date: April 11, 2008 22:15

I've always like this DVD for many reasons : different setlist, huge sound, good keith. What a shame they put Rip This Joint, IORR and TD off !
Discuss

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-11 22:19 by olorin.

Re: Olympia 2003, best recent DVD ???
Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 11, 2008 22:35

My two favourites since the Voodoo days are the Licks Toronto Warm-Up and the actual HBO unedited MSG show.

The rest I find either corny, crass, unlistenable or unwatchable.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 11, 2008 22:42

LOGIE
My two favourites since the Voodoo days are the Licks Toronto Warm-Up and the actual HBO unedited MSG show.

I know what you mean. Good boots seem to be better, much more real, than the official releases.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: April 11, 2008 23:56

For my money, it is.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 12, 2008 00:43

well yeah. it holds a special place in my heart as I was there. I love watching it. It was an absolutely fantastic night out.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: April 12, 2008 00:50

NickB
well yeah. it holds a special place in my heart as I was there. I love watching it. It was an absolutely fantastic night out.

Ah, you lucky b******... tongue sticking out smiley

I'm sure that was an absolutely amazing gig.

That DVD ROCKS fron the beginning to the end.

Stray Cat Blues, Worried About You, Love Train, etc. The set list is superb and the band is at the top of their game.

Yeah, one of my favourites ever.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 12, 2008 00:55

Buenos Aires 1998 for me

Depends what you mean by 'recent' though.

Tokyo 26.2.90 is certainly up there too

Olympia would definitely be the best of the 'official' releases though.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 12, 2008 01:06

Assuming you mean 'official' (unofficial on my flatscreen??? Nope!)
That's a toss-up - I really like the Bridges one for some reason. The setlist wasn't as good, but they all looked and sounded fantastic. Mick did a better singing job in 97 than in 94, I think.

Still... Olymipa... maybe I'll throw it on again tonight. Stray Cat was a SCORCHER.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: April 12, 2008 01:30

Olympia Licks DVD, one of my total favourites. Sometimes, when I haven't watched it in a while, I forget how brilliant it is. Killer versions of Start Me Up, Worried About You, Everybody Needs Somebody, Love Train, That's How Strong and Dance Pt 1. I think they did a great job covering Love Train, who ever thought the Stones would cover that track?!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 12, 2008 02:03

Interesting....I dont' recall as much praise for Olympia or much of Four Flicks when it was released. Now the Olympia and the MSG shows are hailed as their last best.

I guess there's hope for SAL afterall. It'll have to wait until the next release for it to be finally accepted/realized.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: April 12, 2008 03:59

licks could be better than any other tour before 2002 ,also its better than abb , they were always on fire!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 12, 2008 04:02

yes i love that dvd also from the olympia 03, great set, but its just hard to understand that in the dvd format that they could not include the complete show,its almost like the stones dont want us to have the complete show for some reason

Date: April 12, 2008 10:12

i Think there was only one song missing from Olympia DVD and that was Tumbling Dice because at one point there was a load of feedback in it. It was therefore not on the DVD for technical reasons.

NickB

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 12, 2008 10:29

The Olympia 2003 DVD is by far my favorite recent official release too.

Sometimes the camera angles change too fast, but it is a killer show, even if the Cirkus Krone one month before was much more emotional.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 12, 2008 11:39

It still amazes me that the DVD is such a weird reflection of the actual night. I find the DVD a fairly decent gig, nothing really bad, but also nothing really good. This was completely different that night: I remember Hand of Fate as an absolute wreck, one of the worst performances in their carreer. On the DVD it's actually fairly good. I remember That's How Strong My Love Is as the best ever performance I have ever witnessed -on the DVD it's really good, but not as good as I remember it. But still, that show was something special to me. There's just nothing that can compare the Stones blasting at full volume in such a small club.

Mathijs

Date: April 12, 2008 11:57

NickB
i Think there was only one song missing from Olympia DVD and that was Tumbling Dice because at one point there was a load of feedback in it. It was therefore not on the DVD for technical reasons.

No, on this show, three songs are missing, IORR (after Heartbreaker), Rip This Joint (after Respectable) and Tumbling Dice (after HTW). angry smiley
Don't know why but they are used to do this. On Twickenham 2003, Don't Stop, Happy and SMU are missing ; on MSG 2003, SMU and GS ; on Austin 2006, Bitch, SMU and YCAGWYW ; on Rio 2006, TD, Oh No, SFTD ; and on St Louis 97, Anybody Seen My Baby, Corinna, All About You, Last Time. angry smileyangry smileyangry smileyangry smiley

I noticed that, on Four Flicks and The Biggest Bang, they didn't include songs which were already on an other DVD of the box. Don't know why, but it is.

Date: April 12, 2008 12:43

Mathijs
It still amazes me that the DVD is such a weird reflection of the actual night. I find the DVD a fairly decent gig, nothing really bad, but also nothing really good. This was completely different that night: I remember Hand of Fate as an absolute wreck, one of the worst performances in their carreer. On the DVD it's actually fairly good. I remember That's How Strong My Love Is as the best ever performance I have ever witnessed -on the DVD it's really good, but not as good as I remember it. But still, that show was something special to me. There's just nothing that can compare the Stones blasting at full volume in such a small club.

Mathijs

I remember Hand of Fate as a train wreck esp Ronnies solo. Darryls bass on the night was really loud as well and really enjoyed his solo spot on Stray Cat. I also loved when Mick got hold of the Handi cam in HTW. It was so hot in there as well. It was also special for me as it was my first ever club gig. That weekend has to be one of the best in my life ever!!

NickB

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: April 12, 2008 17:22

My favourite DVD as I can see myself on it in the crowd in the middle of HTW... and Ronnie totally lost the plot during the solo in Hand of Fate at the gig... overdub I wonder, or solo taken from another club show?

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: April 12, 2008 23:11

deadegad
LOGIE

I know what you mean. Good boots seem to be better, much more real, than the official releases.
word. no quick cutaways every 3 seconds, and no crowd shots of fat old ugly slobs or fake models lol

Date: April 12, 2008 23:17

Slick
deadegad
LOGIE

word. no quick cutaways every 3 seconds, and no crowd shots of fat old ugly slobs or fake models lol

Love the "fat ugly slob" with the "fake model" on Satisfaction, MSG 2003.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2008 15:05

If we talk official DVDs I'd say that Olympia 2003 is a strong contender. The version of That's How Strong My Love Is is some of their best live ever IMO. Also the official Voodoo Lounge DVD would be a contender, as well as the show from Austin 2006. Oh! And also MSG from Four Flicks.

Count in bootlegs and the picture is different. Nippon Voodoo '95 has always been a fave of mine. Buenos Aires 1998 too. Saitama '06, Rio '06 and certainly Double Door 1997 are contenders too.

JumpingKentFlash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home