Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo on the Youtube front page
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 6, 2008 21:32

Kinda cool that Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker appears on the main page of Youtube, a clip from Giants Stadium, NJ, September 2005.

Or cool I thought. My god that was a terrible performance. Maybe I should go and see Shine A Light asap to regain some of my belief in the Stones as current performers.

The groove is nonexistent, the vocals a mere shadow of the snotty snarl of '73, and the guitar playing ("weaving" ) a mess. Ronnie is seemingly randomly rocking that wah-wah. No funk at all. And is Mick always fluttering his arms in the same way? Jeezus.

Sorry for the whine, but his was terrible IMHO. How would you people rate this against other recent clips?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-06 21:32 by LieB.

Re: Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo on the Youtube front page
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 6, 2008 21:36

not as good as 73, but not terrible. I actually think this is better than four flicks version, which I always thought was the week link in an otherwise good show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-06 21:36 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 6, 2008 22:16

I agree, not as bad as the four flicks version, but that's really not saying much. The deterioration in Mick's voice is especially evident in the chorus, which he sings completely flat, instead of with a growl, like in 73.Ronnie's wah wah guitar is played aimlessly, just as a way of filling the gaps, instead of him attemping to try something creative like Taylor used to. The Shine A Light performances, from what i've managed to hear, if anything, are even worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-06 22:19 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 6, 2008 22:23

Funny I was just watching this exact clip last night(New York time) and thought it was not very good, almost terrible.

It probably sounded better live for those at this show.

These polished things the boys release are a bit sterile, sanitized and often sound unlike what people actually heard live.

For example, Mick's vocals are to high in this mix, the crowd to music ratio, ambience, feel is lost.

Somtimes 'soundboards' can kind of suck.

Good audience recordings can really capture the show and put you in the middle of it -- and if the Stones are doing their best, as well as can be expected in this new century, it's great.

I know many here do not like the Grateful Dead. One thing though they allowed people to tape their shows so there are great boots that capture the right blend of crowd-atmosphere and music.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 6, 2008 22:45

Not too bad actually.I quite like Mick's singing in this one, Ronnie plays excellent, as he has been done for most of this tour. Even like the horns in this one.

I remember Munich 2003 (openings show). Now that was eh... not so good.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 6, 2008 23:46

I was at this show and this version went over quite well

Date: April 6, 2008 23:55

I realize being at the concert live is a whole different experience. As deadegad pointed out, it can certainly sound bland on a soundboard. But I still think it sucks...

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: April 6, 2008 23:59

that wasnt terrible , but not as good as other performances , for me , this was a 8 out of 10 and versions with mick t. were 10 out of 10 , but some with ronnie could be also 10 sometimes , but the stones always rock

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: April 7, 2008 00:04

I think it's pretty good

Date: April 7, 2008 00:05

dont get me wrong, its good but its not on the same planet as 73

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 7, 2008 03:29

This clip is bad, but it didn't sound that bad live at Giants as I remember.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: April 7, 2008 04:49

well , why are we so strict with them , they do the best for every stones fan all over the world , they do it and theyre more than 60 years old , we should enjoy this clip , theyre simply great!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 7, 2008 12:34

How can this be any good when the guitars are out of tune on half the track?

Mathijs

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 7, 2008 13:12

As much as I like CharlieĀ“s playing, there are a few things...for example speeding the tempo when doing fills and being unable to make any noise from the crash cymbals. Both these elements are evident in this video.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 7, 2008 16:06

this is what you call....going through the motions. (IMO)

this is one of my favorite '70s-era Stones songs.
it deserves to be played & sang with a little more emotion/sincerity...
...like they used to do Gimme Shelter.

Love the studio version of Heartbreaker....

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-07 17:50 by sweet neo con.

Date: April 7, 2008 19:44

I would say that this clip is obviously not on par with the 1973 versions or even some of the '94/'95 versions.You can argue about the 1975 versions but,I personally find most of the versions from that tour less listenable than versions from other tours.The Licks Tour versions were not too great either.This song was pretty enjoyable on the opening night of the ABB tour (Boston 8-21-'05) and I like the version from 7-14-'07 as well > talking non - '73 performances.

As a side note,if you have not heard the "Shine a Light" tracks,the best way to hear them is in an I Max theatre.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 7, 2008 20:48

I love this clip! The Rolling Stones rock!smoking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 7, 2008 20:54

this song was killer and the horns too,and how about woody wah wah solo killer .anybody that doesnt like this well they should go listen to xtina or britney, or that across the pond amy winehouse.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 7, 2008 21:48

The Greek
this song was killer and the horns too,and how about woody wah wah solo killer .anybody that doesnt like this well they should go listen to xtina or britney, or that across the pond amy winehouse.

That was a very juvenile comment. Try again.

Date: April 7, 2008 23:33

maybe the problem with the more recent live performances of this song..is that
it's too rushed. is it unfair to compare it to this '73 version?...i think not.

Date: April 7, 2008 23:56

sweet neo con -- that's a nice '70s video collage.
And miles ahead of the 2005 clip. Can't believe it's the same drummer and singer.
While I'm at it -- let me say I loath the sound of Chuck's synth-clavinet. Jeez again.

Date: April 7, 2008 23:59

LieB...as i'm sure it is obvious...i didn't create that collage..just found it on youTube.
I agree completely that Chuck's contribution detracts from the song.
It's almost like they forgot the essence of the original studio track:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-08 00:03 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: April 8, 2008 00:40

sweet neo con
maybe the problem with the more recent live performances of this song..is that
it's too rushed. is it unfair to compare it to this '73 version?...i think not.

It's totally unfair to compare Heartbreaker '73 to '05. The band is 32 years older. Their playing is simply not the same, never will be.

But comparing Heartbreaker '05 from Giants Stadium to other recent versions is a more fair comparison. It does sound out of tune and a bit flat.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 8, 2008 01:23

Maybe we just should agree on the fact that in '73 they still were the greatest R&R band in the world, and in '05 they're just a bunch of washed out alcoholics.

Mathijs

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 8, 2008 01:44

oh come on, Mathijs!!... mick's not an alcoholic.

Date: April 8, 2008 01:48

right mick is only an ex cocaine freak, whats worse,lol

Date: April 8, 2008 01:50

and btw why would it be unfair to compare 05 to 73, with these prices they charge now if they cant hack it anymore they should not be up there, imho they belong up there btw, they are just as explosive as they ever were , just in a different way, they deserve a ton of credit for knowing how to reinvent themselves over and over and still remain at the top

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-08 01:56 by melillo.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 8, 2008 03:37

I like the 73 performance much better. It's slower.

BUT - I think some songs just should be left alone and this is one that, on record, the studio version is stellar. They just shouldn't play it. The Licks version I thought was terrible. And the Bang version is even worse. So yeah, can't fairly compare the 73 to 05 or whatever, that's way off the charts.

What gets me, though, is how good they did Monkey Man and Street Fighting Man and a few others, at least on Licks. And then they just destroy other tunes. It's very strange.

So Mick is rushing on everything during the Bang tour. He didn't do that at all on the Licks tour. What is up with that?

Date: April 9, 2008 01:15

skipstoen wrote: "So Mick is rushing on everything during the Bang tour. He didn't do that at all on the Licks tour. What is up with that?"

Maybe that's why Keith sometimes has trouble keeping up.

RE: "They just shouldn't play it"
I'd rather hear an imperfect version than not at all....I was
glad when they brought it back.

I completely agree about Monkey Man....awesome...another one
of my all-time favorites. i remember being blown away by it in '94.
I'll need to check Licks.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: April 9, 2008 02:07

i was at the show. This version is very good in my opinion..especially the guitar solo part, with Ronnie playing a great solo, and keith and charlie playing great too.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home