Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger & Simon
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 21, 2008 20:31

(also from the new "Vanity Fair")

People had been talking about Carly's physical resemblance to Mick Jagger, so she thought it would be fun to interview him. Seymour Peck, the editor of The New York Times's Sunday Arts & Leisure section, encouraged the idea. Carly called Jagger in the South of France, just before his May 12 marriage to his pregnant fiancée, Bianca Pérez-Mora Macias, a Nicaraguan beauty and student at the Institut d'Études Politiques of Paris, and the recent girlfriend of Michael Caine. In her conversation with Mick, Carly recalls saying, "I would really love to meet you." The Stones' Sticky Fingers was about to hit No. 1, and here was Mick Jagger, the sexiest rock star in the world, talking to her. It was a little heady. "Carly was trying to figure out her place in all this," says Jake Brackman. "It wasn't so long ago that she was working in the Letters department of Newsweek."

During one of his [James Taylor] relapses, in July 1972, Carly connected with Mick Jagger at a record-industry party. With James "not well," she says, "there was room for a little bit of Mick feeling; there was an opening."

Carly flew to London that summer to record No Secrets, and James joined her. By then "Ballad of a Vain Man" had turned into "You're So Vain"—the statement of a woman exerting power, through witty mockery, over the boyfriend who has done her wrong. Richard Perry was stunned when Mick Jagger himself sauntered into the studio one day to sing backup—his distinctive voice rasping out those urgent "Don't you? Don't you? Don't you?"s.

"Mick and I had spent time together" in London, Carly says (while denying there was an affair between them), "but I really didn't want to be with anybody but James." Shortly after she and James returned to New York the phone rang in Carly's apartment. James got on the line, and a woman who identified herself as Bianca Jagger, Carly recalls, "said to him, 'You know, my husband and your fiancée are having an affair,' and James said, 'That's not true'; he totally defended me." Carly adds, with a knowing laugh, "There's nothing that gets men so crazy as other men pursuing their women. Boy, did we decide [to marry] fast!"

Re: Jagger & Simon
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 21, 2008 20:48

Glam Descendant
(also from the new "Vanity Fair")
"Carly was trying to figure out her place in all this," says Jake Brackman. "It wasn't so long ago that she was working in the Letters department of Newsweek."

i like how he tries to make it sound as if she is just a poor working stiff - she came from an extremely wealthy family - her family is the "Simon" in Simon & Schuster, the huge publishing firm.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home