Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rumors of a New Springsteen Album
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 17, 2008 01:31

Allegedly on April 11 will be a new album called "Redwood Park". Don't know if it's a solo record or a full-fledged E-Street band release. Reports come from Springsteen forums. Not yet verified.

Re: OT: Rumors of a New Springsteen Album
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 17, 2008 02:53

I would assume an E. Street Band record. It may help since he is trying to get more US Stadium type shows for the summer and promoters outside of New Jersey are not so sure of his drawing power this time around. He can do arenas in the USA without a problem, he did below expectation in US Stadiums in the summer of 2003.

His shows are much shorter and tickets cost more than the last time around....sound familiar?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 17, 2008 02:59

trainarollin
I would assume an E. Street Band record. It may help since he is trying to get more US Stadium type shows for the summer and promoters outside of New Jersey are not so sure of his drawing power this time around. He can do arenas in the USA without a problem, he did below expectation in US Stadiums in the summer of 2003.

His shows are much shorter and tickets cost more than the last time around....sound familiar?

No theyre not. Not significantly so, as far as I've seen. Five years on, and tickets for $99 top price (£49 and £60 at the one I saw) with shows lasting 2 and a half hours is pretty similar to that tour - not much adjustment considering inflation and age. The shows on the early part of that tour were around 155-160 minutes max - although the stadium shows towards the end got a bit longer as theyve always tended to do.

below expectations in US stadiums in 2003? Depends where you went. 10 sell outs at Giants Stadium and then three nights added at Shea (plus 4 stadiums shows in Boston and 3 in Philly) would suggest he did more than OK.

To get back to the subject. Theres been rumours of another album since before Magic was released. Bruce has hinted that he does have songs recorded for different projects, but the impression Ive got from interviews is that (unless he already had an ESB album in the can) his next new studio album will be a return to the storytelling style of songs that were on Devils & Dust

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-17 03:31 by Gazza.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: February 17, 2008 07:18

My guess is the poster added an extra "1" to the release date. Sounds like an April Fool's joke to me. CDs are released on Tuesdays in the US and April 11th is a Friday.

I believe the rumors of a new CD started with an interview with Brenda O'Brien, the producer of "Magic." He stated that Springsteen had another group of songs from the recent sessions that he thought were worthy of release. He didn't think they fit with the Magic songs, but the said they were good. O'Brien never said that a new CD would be out in the spring, that was a question from the reporter.

And to the other point: I have to say that a top ticket price of $100 USD is a damn deal these days. The shows may be 10 - 15 mins shorter than the last tour, but they aren't any less exciting. Springsteen is the last person to deserve a slam for ticket prices.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-17 07:24 by lamemodem2.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 17, 2008 08:01

I guess to me, schleping to a stadium, parking, wait in lines, deal with drunks and be 75 yards away from the action is not in my best interest. In true Bruce fashion, he will go on 50 minutes late. I still like Bruce, seen him maybe 15 or so times since 1980...I just no longer support him financially by attending his live shows. I've seen him enough.

$100 a ticket is cheap for a class A entertainer and I do not have a problem with spending $100...I chose not to.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 17, 2008 11:25

Great if it's happening, but Redwood Park - c'mon, sounds like a straight up hoax (Asbury Park - geddit?).

There'll probably be a "tour edition" of Magic, complete with the "Winter Mix" of "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" and a bonus live DVD.

Date: February 17, 2008 11:26

The rumour I have heard circulating is that the next two Springsteen releases will be archive material. Darkness OTT is said to be getting the box set treatment, as then there's Tracks 2 in the works ....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 17, 2008 15:22

Hate to beat a dead (wild) horse, but I sure wish the Stones would do a Tracks type set of archived stuff. Tattoo You was pretty damned successful.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 17, 2008 16:27

Elmo Lewis
Hate to beat a dead (wild) horse, but I sure wish the Stones would do a Tracks type set of archived stuff. Tattoo You was pretty damned successful.

You and every one else on here, Elmo. Can't believe it hasn't happened already. Now the possibility is getting dimmer and dimmer.

Date: February 17, 2008 18:06

lamemodem2
My guess is the poster added an extra "1" to the release date. Sounds like an April Fool's joke to me. CDs are released on Tuesdays in the US and April 11th is a Friday.

I believe the rumors of a new CD started with an interview with Brenda O'Brien, the producer of "Magic." .

Brendan O'Brien wont be happy that you've found out about his top-secret sex-change operation....smiling smiley

lamemodem2
And to the other point: I have to say that a top ticket price of $100 USD is a damn deal these days. The shows may be 10 - 15 mins shorter than the last tour, but they aren't any less exciting. Springsteen is the last person to deserve a slam for ticket prices.

If the shows are shorter its because he's not doing stuff like dragging songs out for 15-20 minutes or talking as much between songs. The number of songs being played this tour is usually around 23-24, which is the same as before. They're better paced concerts than they were before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-17 18:10 by Gazza.

Date: February 17, 2008 18:14

Nikolai
The rumour I have heard circulating is that the next two Springsteen releases will be archive material. Darkness OTT is said to be getting the box set treatment, as then there's Tracks 2 in the works ....

A second 'Tracks' has been in the planning stages for a couple of years. he actually shelved the project to make the Seeger album instead. Whether its his next release is still unsure. The 'Darkness' 30th anniversary reissue - if theres some validity to it - would obviously have to precede it as the anniversary is just 3-4 months away. Apparently, there are around five 1978 shows which were filmed and which are being considered for a possible DVD release to accompany such a project.

Date: February 17, 2008 21:34

Gazza
Nikolai

A second 'Tracks' has been in the planning stages for a couple of years. he actually shelved the project to make the Seeger album instead. Whether its his next release is still unsure. The 'Darkness' 30th anniversary reissue - if theres some validity to it - would obviously have to precede it as the anniversary is just 3-4 months away. Apparently, there are around five 1978 shows which were filmed and which are being considered for a possible DVD release to accompany such a project.

I heard a couple of great stories from a pal of mine who has a mate in Bruce's inner circle (yeah, I know, "a friend of a friend told me" and all that, but my pal's a straight-up guy).

The original Tracks only came about because a concerned (and very wealthy) fan managed to get a complete set of The Lost Masters delivered to Bruce's front door. Appended was a note which read: "Why make bootleggers rich and your fans poor?"

The other story I heard was that Bruce actually bought up about ten bootleg DVDs of 1978 shows and spent the rest of the week watching them and making notes.

Date: February 17, 2008 21:35

Gazza
Nikolai

I read about The Seeger Sessions originating from a trawl from the recent archives. Apparently one of the Tracks discs was going to consist of "folk band" songs, including the original versions of the Tunnel of Love songs Bruce cut with that bluegrass band.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: February 17, 2008 22:01

Gazza
Brendan O'Brien wont be happy that you've found out about his top-secret sex-change operation....smiling smiley

That's hilarious. Good catch.

And I found a link to "Brenda's" interview: [www.billboard.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home