Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi OT : frequent flyer programs
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 23, 2008 17:41

Semi OT, because when you like the Stones, you may travel a bit..

Paris-based, I find convenient to fly with Skyteam companies, which have numerous flies with the US East Coast. With the Platimum card, I enjoy Skyteam both for the free miles and the lounges, which save energy (best seats in economy class) and money too (food, internet connection). Now you have to pay the price for that : you have to accumulate at least 70.000 miles a year, either flying or spending with Amex.

Or choices are One World, and Star Alliance.

Or fly low cost, which interesting for continental flights but not for long haul flight

What do you think?

Re: Semi OT : frequent flyer programs
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 23, 2008 21:51

Well, I think because you're European based you're not getting the best deal out of the SKYMILES program. I live in LA but have a small Apt in Paris so spend some time there also (When the Dollar's value is not in the toilet). I think the 2 FF programs are pretty much the same EXCEPT we get USA to Europe R/T for only 50,000 miles for economy and 90,000 miles for business class. I always take the non stop AIR FRANCE flights from Los Angeles to Paris (through the program headed by DELTA in the US and using AMEX Card for more miles). Is this the same program you are on? check out [www.skymiles.com] and take a look at the mileage chart.....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 24, 2008 03:32

I've built up more Delta Skymiles than the law allows, mostly due to my inability
to find reward travel at a decent redemption value.
Seems like they are always "out" of the Skysaver seats, but you can usually
find seats at the higher Skychoice cost.
They've recently included the other Skyteam airlines on the Delta site so that
you can use Skymiles on other airlines without going through a Delta agent.
Hopefully, now it will be easier to use Skymiles since, theoretically,
there will be more seat availability.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: January 24, 2008 04:15

I am a member of the British Airways Exec club, It's ok, but not great. You have to earn loads of tier points in order to progress to the higher levels (silver, gold, platinum) so even if you travel four or five times a year on leasure, you probably won't earn enough tier points to go to the next level, which is required for lounge access etc....

But on the plus side, after three years as an exec member, (perhaps an average of two or three return flights per year) I now have enough miles for a return airfare to Russia. Plus taxes off course...

So it's not too bad.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 24, 2008 18:39

Hey Mr J,

Why dontcha rack up those BA miles a little faster by getting a BA/AMEX card ?

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 24, 2008 23:41

I just upgraded from Club World to FIRST on BA Seattle - London w/the 20K bonus miles for opening my British Airways Visa. Back home is just regular Club World. Poor me. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 25, 2008 00:59

Thanks for posting everyone.

My point was to compare different programs, also to see if it worth investing in such programs - since for instance, I don't choose the cheapest flight in order to accumulate more miles.

HelterSkelter : the best bargain you can find are Web award, which allow you to fly for instance for a round trip Amsterdam Washington for a mere 25.000 miles.

[www.airfrance.fr]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 25, 2008 03:15

I've got a Soutwest Airlines Visas rewards card that works very well for me. You rack up flight credits as pay it off. Ive earned free round trips anywhere in the U.S. 3 years in a row now. Very few restrictions. Plus,the all important drink coupons.thumbs up

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 25, 2008 05:23

I use my Delta SkyMiles Amex card for almost everything and build up most of my miles that way.

I am going to Croatia for 10 days in June (where my grandpa is from) then to Germany for the Stonestreff convention, then to London for a brief visit.

I spent a few weeks on and off in Nov and Dec trying to get 4 50K free flights for me and family routing thru wherever. Every rep -- no, no, no, you've got to use 75K or more miles.

Kept persisting - never know when something is going to open up AND, AND, it makes a huge difference what kind of agent you get. I finally got not only a knowlegeable, but an empathic and extremely customer service oriented agent.

She kept searching and searching, and I think trying things and options other agents did not know enough or simply did not want to go to the effort to try. By god, she got them for us. And, they are open jaw flights. Into Zagreb, out of London.

But, we had to leave 3 days early and route thru Moscow (hence my earlier thread on travelling in Moscow/Russia) which is fine as I have never been there and it should be interesting though we may have to be a little careful there.

Edith Grove, I knew nothing about that we can book directly thru partner airlines and not have to go thru Delta. Maybe I can find something a little better now, but I think it will cost me a few hundred dollars to do that as I have booked it at this point. Thanks for the info.

Plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-25 05:26 by timbernardis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home