Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Another great book but only for the richest!
Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: December 26, 2007 23:25

[www.letitbleedbook.com]
After the books about exile or stu, this one is only 2600 copies and the first price for the standard edition (the less poor guys) is 650usd and 950usd for the deluxe edition. These photographs don't want printing a book about rock'n'roll for everybody. They need to create something which would become a COLLECTOR and to satisfy their ego. Fait chier! Tiens en francais, peut-etre que la censure automatique ne se fait pas. Voyons voir. Putain d'encules de saloperie de mes deux. Ouf ca fait du bien.

Re: Another great book but only for the richest!
Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 26, 2007 23:46

It cost the same as two of the best tickets for a Stones show at MSG. After 40+ years in the music business, the Stones are not for the poor people only. Good news are you don't need this book in order to enjoy the Stones. Also good news are you can enjoy the Ronnie book which is cheaper. Also good news are if you work hard then may be you will be able to afford this great book which in fact is a documentation of the tour of 1969 - and by time, it might prove to be a better investment than owning a house these days.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: December 26, 2007 23:51

But for an investment to work, one must be prepared to cash in on it. If I owned this book, why would I ever want to let it go?

bv Wrote:
- and
> by time, it might prove to be a better investment
> than owning a house these days.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: December 26, 2007 23:54

Why you must be offensive?

Date: December 27, 2007 00:10

Please Bjornulf, be correct, I'm already working hard. Don't treat me like an idle. 325usd for a show is not a good price for me. It's expensive but we have already talk about that by the past in this forum. Ronnie's book is the right price. The wonderful, magnific and great 1975 annie Leibowitz was at a right price. I already have a house and my investment is good. I'm not living in the USA. You censor everything you think bad and it is vey easy becoming bad about stones with you. This is your website, OK and thanks for that but you are not very democratic about people opinion. They are not free. Nothing is expensive for you but perhaps you don't pay tickets, books, etc. I love the stones but I can live without them...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 27, 2007 00:11

I bought CROSSFIRE HURRICANE and it killed me to pay that extreme amount for a book, and yes, it is an investment but only if you're willing to part with it and I am NOT! I'd love BLINDS AND SHUTTERS but I can wait!

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: December 27, 2007 02:35

i have the let it bleed book...it was on my christmas list, and was given to me by my whole family {11}...It's an amazing book. I am very lucky to have it...that's all that was on my list...A successful Xmas, i would say...and no i have not opened it, b/c everyone is still here....waiting for quiet times

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 27, 2007 07:43

is the book by the same publisher as TOTA which covers the 75 tour, by Christopher Sykes? Also a beautiful book but now the cheapest seems to be 1,800 usd for the deluxe edition and maybe half of that for the standard ed.

if u see the 2 side by side, believe me, u will only want the deluxe with its beautiful leather cover, the other looks ugly by comparison.

As for me, forget about either. And people ask, well, u would spend that much for Stones tix, and I say "yes, but I would rather see the Stones live than in any other way." I say catch them live whilst you still can.

P

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: December 27, 2007 08:03

This book is from Rhino, nothing to do with other previous deluxe books (Stu,B& Shutters,75 TOTA etc.). It is a wonderful book and the deluxe edition is 950 $ which,including courier, turned out to be 815 Euros (for European readers).

Date: December 27, 2007 08:15

god, after reading the site on the book, would very much like to have it.

however, one thing to note is that on the page of bio sketches of the group of 16 that made up the touring party, the only then Stone interviewed for the book was Bill Wyman.

The perspectives of the supporting cast are, i am sure, great, significant, and the book incomplete without them. But it bothers me that the voices of the other Stones, their perspectives 30 years later and such, are not.

No matter if this was impossible to achieve for whatever reason, it is a glaring omission.

P

P

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 27, 2007 11:12

The price of this book is out of our hands. That is what I am trying to say. The publisher will not care if you protest. For the photographer it is very easy. There are three ways of doing this:

a). No book
b). Limited set of books at high price
c). Large quantity of books at low price

They just decided on (b). The alternative migh just as well have been (a). I am a big fan of high quality photos so I would rather have (b) than (c) actually. If I can affort it myself I don't know. May be. That's not the point. The point is you can't have everything in life. I want a swimming pool and +30 C all year but I can't have it where I live. Also I can't afford it. Same with expensive books and concert tickets. For some this is great. For others we just have to find something else to spend our hard earned money on. Simple as that.

PS. The book looks great still.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 27, 2007 11:23

Well, we all agree that it is a fantastic book. Everyone of us would want it I think.
I would see it more as furniture in a house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-27 11:34 by Harm.

Date: December 27, 2007 14:30

Just want to say that the price is high just for this book. Nothing else. J'appelle un chat "un chat". Point barre.
Another idea, he could just print only one issue and giving it to Christie's for an auction. For some people il the price of bread is 5 cents higher today, they'll be ok for a strike but astronomic price for a book, all is normal, specially about the stones.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 27, 2007 16:14

my impression is that Ethan Russell and/or his publishers have been watching the re-sale market for books like this
and asking the same question bands started asking about ticket touts' prices:
if that's what people are willing to pay, why shouldn't the author/publisher collect it,
instead of some intermediary who did nothing but buy a copy and then wait a bit?

not that i know anything about books of this calibre, but:
doesn't the price does seem high given the fairly large number of copies being produced?
i mean: of course it seems high anyway, to many/most of us! but for people who are into limited editions,
i reckon the value as an investment is pretty closely related to the size of the run.

Date: December 27, 2007 16:16

by the way, in case anyone's interested in the earlier thread about this book: [www.iorr.org]

Date: December 27, 2007 17:37

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> by the way, in case anyone's interested in the
> earlier thread about this book:
> [www.iorr.org]

thanks sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssoul

just noted erik snow's comment on that original thread : "One problem with this new book, is that most of the pictures, are well known by now, while both the Exile and the TOTA book contained previously unseen pictures."

Assuming Erik had sufficient knowledge of the book's photos at that point to make such a statement, and given my observation above that only one of the then-Stones was interviewed specifically for this book -- these would be two major reasons for a level headed person to question why, outside of aesthetics and investment, the book should be purchased at all.

P

Posted by: forest73 ()
Date: December 27, 2007 17:40

Un chef d 'oeuvre !!

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: December 27, 2007 18:20

bv Wrote:
> and by time, it might prove to be a better investment
> than owning a house these days.

I totally disagree with this statement and every serious,I mean serious, collector will as well. Ask Matt Lee.

If you think in terms of investment you have to think of mint condition, which means unread, untouched, still wrapped and without any sign of use.

Consequence is you can't read it or look inside otherwise you'll definitely loose money.

So a better way is waiting some time and buy a used one at a cheaper price by using these arguments.

On the other hand, you may be lucky finding one stupid person coming out of the railway station who is willing and able to pay any price but I wouldn't bet on that by investing such an amount of money.

Date: December 27, 2007 18:42

well ... of course people who buy books like this tend to take good care of them - they're works of art.
but you do know how much second-hand copies of out-of-print Genesis books sell for, right?
books like this are something like signed limited-edition fine-art prints -
some are worth huge amounts, and it ain't because they still have the wrapper on them.
one owner enjoying looking at them doesn't mean they're cheaper for next owner to acquire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-27 18:45 by with sssoul.

Date: December 27, 2007 19:07

Well, as Genesis is not on my "Favorite 10000 Bands list" I don't know exactly but I guess I know what you mean.

Sometimes markets go crazy but anyway it's still a bet and you can't be sure.

Date: December 27, 2007 19:37

For me, buying a stones item and thinking investment is not state of mind of real fan. I have a house and this one would have a price the day I decide to sell it. If I keep it until my death, the house has no price for me. For the heir, OK but for me, NOT and this is the same with my stones collection. I don't built it in term of investment. I should be very stupid to invest in items like that.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 27, 2007 19:52

Errr - I think we're talking here about Genesis, a book publisher. Not Genesis the band :-)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 27, 2007 19:58

This one

[www.genesis-publications.com]

Great site if you have the money

Date: December 27, 2007 20:04

>> Genesis, a book publisher. Not Genesis the band <<

smile: quite - thank you dear glamourous Beast :E thanks for posting the link, Nicos.

Exile of course is the real jewel in the Genesis crown - it's only available secondhand now,
and when copies turn up on ebay they regularly go for over $1000 (sometimes well over).
i think the price when it first came out was around 200 GBP? it's probably mentioned on the Genesis site somewhere.

i'm not talking about buying books like this as an investment either -
i'm not talking about buying them at all, they're way out of my league!
but collecting things one loves doesn't necessarily make one immune to an awareness of their value.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-27 20:09 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 27, 2007 20:09

timbernardis Wrote:
>
> just noted erik snow's comment on that original
> thread : "One problem with this new book, is that
> most of the pictures, are well known by now, while
> both the Exile and the TOTA book contained
> previously unseen pictures."
>
> Assuming Erik had sufficient knowledge of the
> book's photos at that point to make such a
> statement, and given my observation above that
> only one of the then-Stones was interviewed
> specifically for this book -- these would be two
> major reasons for a level headed person to
> question why, outside of aesthetics and
> investment, the book should be purchased at all.

I have the book and having seen alot of Stones photos myself I can say that I have never seen most of the photos in "Let It Bleed". Ethan states that most of the photos have never before been published as well. Terry, or anyone else who has actually looked through it, care to comment?

Date: December 27, 2007 20:53

with sssoul Wrote:
> but collecting things one loves doesn't
> necessarily make one immune to an awareness of
> their value.

VALUE...that's right.

Price is what you pay - value is what you get.

These two doesn't have to correspond.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 27, 2007 21:00

no thanks, once the novelty wares off its just a book

Date: December 27, 2007 22:15

>> These two doesn't have to correspond. <<

right. i would find it incomprehensible to buy a book like this unless you loved it.
all i mean is that someone who loves the book can also feel it's a good investment,
the same way a work of art you love can also turn out to be a good investment.

and i am considering selling my flat and buying a copy of Exile to live in. :E

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 28, 2007 00:50

ChrisM Wrote:
> I have the book and having seen alot of Stones
> photos myself I can say that I have never seen
> most of the photos in "Let It Bleed". Ethan states
> that most of the photos have never before been
> published as well. Terry, or anyone else who has
> actually looked through it, care to comment?

Can you let us, ie me in on how many pre 1969 tour pics there are? Any recording studio shots? Basically, is there much about Brian other than what the preview page shows us? How about the commentary and dating of images, is it historically accurate?

Sorry to go so OCD on you!

:-)

Date: December 28, 2007 02:23

withssssssssssssoul wrote:

Exile of course is the real jewel in the Genesis crown - it's only available secondhand now,and when copies turn up on ebay they regularly go for over $1000 (sometimes well over).

I think TOTA is the jewel in the Genesis crown. It too is SO. Saw a copy in London at bonnington for 1,800 new, saw a "used"/"mint" one on ebay last week for 2,700 minimum.

If u don't believe me, just ask Matt Lee.

P

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home